The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    J-MAN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default 1st POST (GTG help its getting on my nerves)

    Hi everyone, I'm new here.

    Well I keep hearing everyone say that they make fast gains in strength while doing GTG. But for me its not happening.

    I do GTG with the Overhead Press and the Dead Lift. I take my 5 rep max and do 2 reps with it in the morning, afternoon, late afternoon, and evening. Sometimes maybe more.

    Am I doing something wrong because I don't seem to be gaining strength. When I was in the gym I used to deadlift 210lbs easy and my 5 rep max was 245lbs and my max was 315lbs.

    Now 210lbs feels kind of heavy, even 135 lbs feels heavy, and I don't know my max because I only have 255lbs and buying more. But I don't test it. My press has got weaker also.

    Now after a set of 2 rep Deadlifts, not going to failure, with 210lbs my erector muscles feels like how your muscles feel after doing a set of like 12 reps. And that feeling doesn't go away, it lasts all day. I also don't feel that tonic feeling they say you get.

    Am I doing something wrong?
    Also can someone help me with the back problem too?

    I would do PTTP cycles but I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS GTG THING DOWN, I don't want to give up on it.

  2. #2
    MVAYS is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Start even lighter and do exactly as Pavel advises in power to the people. Worked for me. What does anyone else think?

  3. #3
    Hulkules is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    It will be tough to advise you considering I am not there to see exactly what you're doing. So necessarily advise you. But I would suggest that you focus more on form and technique rather than building strength fast. That means:


    1. Making sure your form is flawless
    2. Tightening every muscle in your body
    3. Utilize power breathing
    4. Utilize all possible high tension techniques
    5. Vary rep range, volume, intensity etc. daily (listen to body and stay fresh), and
    6. Maybe start with lighter weight

    Focus more on these rather than building strength and strength will come quickly.

    An example routine would be to do 5X5 on a good day with a weight you can do for 6-7 reps, 3-5X2 the next day according to how you feel with a lighter weight just to focus more on technique and tension, and 3-5X1 with the heaviest weight you can manage the following day. Again, this is just an example.

    Anyway, it took me reading Pavel's et.al. other sources several times over before I got it down. Hope this helps.

    Also, to any more astute individuals in the ways of strength training, if I'm wrong about anything PLEASE correct me. I'm sure I could benefit as much from this post as the original poster !

  4. #4
    Jordan Vezina RKCTL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    106

    Default

    I'm not sure GTG is the best way to train the deadlift. The vast majority of people I've seen make progress on GTG were primarily using pull ups, pistols, one arm push ups, etc. I too have made amazing progress using this system and targeting ciomplex exercises.
    Part of the magic of GTG is that your body is 'learning' how to properly perform the exercises. For instance you may be strong enough to physically do a pistol, but cannot because you do not have the technique. If I were to suddenly instill perfect technique in you, you would be banging them out. Did you get stronger? No, you just perfected technique and were suddenly able to do what you previuosly could not.
    Point being, the deadlift is a relatively simple exercise to grasp. Of course it is incredibly complex as you become more advanced, just like a swing. So that is why I don't think GTG is the best option for training your deadlift. I would strongly recommend a PTTP cycle.
    I haven't had any sugar today.

  5. #5
    J-MAN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0311bravo View Post
    I'm not sure GTG is the best way to train the deadlift. The vast majority of people I've seen make progress on GTG were primarily using pull ups, pistols, one arm push ups, etc. I too have made amazing progress using this system and targeting ciomplex exercises.
    Part of the magic of GTG is that your body is 'learning' how to properly perform the exercises. For instance you may be strong enough to physically do a pistol, but cannot because you do not have the technique. If I were to suddenly instill perfect technique in you, you would be banging them out. Did you get stronger? No, you just perfected technique and were suddenly able to do what you previuosly could not.
    Point being, the deadlift is a relatively simple exercise to grasp. Of course it is incredibly complex as you become more advanced, just like a swing. So that is why I don't think GTG is the best option for training your deadlift. I would strongly recommend a PTTP cycle.
    I haven't had any sugar today.
    Thanks for the comment

    But Pavel himself wrote an article stating GTG can be used to build strength and he also wrote you can do deadlifts with it. Look up "Greasing the Groove for strength by Pavel Tsatsouline."

  6. #6
    Jordan Vezina RKCTL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    106

    Default

    I didn't say it wasn't an option. I just said it may not be the best option. If something isn't working for you, switch tactics. My observation as I said is that for most people this method seems to work best for the previously mentioned exercises, and I haven't heard many (any) gtg deadlift success stories.

  7. #7
    J-MAN is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0311bravo View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't an option. I just said it may not be the best option. If something isn't working for you, switch tactics. My observation as I said is that for most people this method seems to work best for the previously mentioned exercises, and I haven't heard many (any) gtg deadlift success stories.
    I also hear alot about it being used with BW exercises also. But HAVE read many success stories, some on this forum but from about 2 years ago, about it being done with DL's.

    But don't get me wrong I greatly appreciate your advice on the topic.

  8. #8
    Kai Johnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,267
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    Leaving a routine that isn't working for you isn't giving up on something. It's being smart and moving on from something you tried that isn't working out for you and then finding the most efficient way to get where you want to go.

    Maybe a few people have had success building big pulls with just gtg, but that worked for these few people but...I'm sure you've read WAY more success stories here for people using pttp as it was written and making amazing progress. It's easy and it's proven.

  9. #9
    JT_76 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    614

    Default

    GTG is just another way to say practice so think of it that way. The way you describe it is only 8 reps a day, not much practice in my book. You wouldn't perfect your serve in tennis by going out to the court and hitting two serves and leaving would you? You would need several good and focused serves to really get the mind muscle connection going.

    Same thing here, try just using 135 and pull 8-10 perfect reps several times a day, not just half assing it because it's light but really working all the steps and using max tension to wedge your self into the weight and exploding up. I do this with deads and squats for a back off week and then go back to heavier weights.

  10. #10
    resrie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    near Girya Strength :)
    Posts
    148
    Blog Entries
    132

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here.

    Well I keep hearing everyone say that they make fast gains in strength while doing GTG. But for me its not happening.

    [...]

    Now after a set of 2 rep Deadlifts, not going to failure, with 210lbs my erector muscles feels like how your muscles feel after doing a set of like 12 reps. And that feeling doesn't go away, it lasts all day. I also don't feel that tonic feeling they say you get.

    Am I doing something wrong?
    Also can someone help me with the back problem too?
    I was doing 5x180 lb. deadlifts at the end of last summer, and my back felt really strong, but I realized that it was mostly max-strength rather than strength endurance.

    Have you been screened by a CK-FMS?

    Check out this article on t-nation on mobility:

    T-Nation.com | Joint-by-Joint Approach to Training

    Or my recent forum post on lower-back pain!

    Hip mobility, goblet squats, and back injuries post-SJ RKC 2009 - Dragon Door Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Free Course
Close