The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    perldog007 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    97
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Pull up question

    As advertised in other posts, I'm a beginner, not a terribly strong one, and very overweight. In my whole life, I did three pull ups ONCE during a try out in Navy boot camp circa '79. Never been able to pull up before or since.

    Now I'm so heavy that I am not sure I can hang from a bar. I do have a bowflex in my mudroom ( mea culpa, mea maxima culpa). Could the pull down bar exercise do me any good in my quest towards pull ups?

    What single KB drill would be the most help getting to pull up strength while I lose enough fat to make it possible?

  2. #2
    slcmarine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    135

    Default

    The Lat Pull Down is a good exercise to work your lats like a pull ups, although with KBs a Bent KB Row would be a good choice also with just getting started. Biggest factor initially will be to stay consistent with your diet and workouts.

  3. #3
    forth is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    The ETK RoP is your friend.

    It will get the fat off of your body.
    Also focusing on pulling the bells down from the press-out will do good for your pulls.

    Instead of pullup ladders do some other lat drill. Rows could be one, some sort of pulldowns.

  4. #4
    johnbeamon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    805
    Blog Entries
    97

    Default

    Bent rows are good, but I'd recommend Renegade Rows. If your weight is a problem, put one hand on a step or
    On a KB laid on its side and the other on the working bell's handle. I really think you'd benefit from the whole-body plank plus lat pull.

  5. #5
    perldog007 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    97
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slcmarine View Post
    The Lat Pull Down is a good exercise to work your lats like a pull ups, although with KBs a Bent KB Row would be a good choice also with just getting started. Biggest factor initially will be to stay consistent with your diet and workouts.
    I like that idea, already do some bent rows with the KB. I am a ways from ROP, need to get to PM first and renegade rows, maybe not just yet.

  6. #6
    BlakeA is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perldog007 View Post
    As advertised in other posts, I'm a beginner, not a terribly strong one, and very overweight. In my whole life, I did three pull ups ONCE during a try out in Navy boot camp circa '79. Never been able to pull up before or since.

    Now I'm so heavy that I am not sure I can hang from a bar. I do have a bowflex in my mudroom ( mea culpa, mea maxima culpa). Could the pull down bar exercise do me any good in my quest towards pull ups?

    What single KB drill would be the most help getting to pull up strength while I lose enough fat to make it possible?

    To start, know that lat pulldowns will NEVER help your pullup problem. I was told this as a boot, but I watched many try that route and it never works. So please do not waste your time with it.
    Renegade rows I can say I do not have alot of experience in as far as pushups go, but again that looks like an entirely different move.
    The best thing for pullups is pullups, and if you cant do one then start with negatives with gtg. When you can slow them down, do so. When you can hold, do so. Break the pullup down into thirds for how far up you are pulling yourself. Get strong in one distance, then add third.
    This will work
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Long before supplements there were really strong men

  7. #7
    Razorburne is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    240

    Default

    do your work with the PM. also, to get better at pullups, you have to do pullups - but work on progressions (meaning there are various steps of the pullup that you can work and move your way up the ladder as you go along). i.e., use a chair or picnic table or something to support your legs...use your legs to support as much weight as you need - then work on negatives rather than an entire pullup. After a while work on pullups with the same method, decreasing how much bodyweight you support with your legs...then switch to one leg....then no legs (negatives only)...then no legs full pullups....etc.

    you could also begin with vertical rows, then horizontal rows with a TRX or a bar on a playground, or table, etc (a la convict conditioning)

    good luck!

  8. #8
    SThom27 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    403
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
    To start, know that lat pulldowns will NEVER help your pullup problem. I was told this as a boot, but I watched many try that route and it never works. So please do not waste your time with it.
    Renegade rows I can say I do not have alot of experience in as far as pushups go, but again that looks like an entirely different move.
    The best thing for pullups is pullups, and if you cant do one then start with negatives with gtg. When you can slow them down, do so. When you can hold, do so. Break the pullup down into thirds for how far up you are pulling yourself. Get strong in one distance, then add third.
    This will work
    I disagree that lat pulldowns will never help. Anything that strengthens the lats will help. Lat Pulldowns, Renegade Rows, Bent over Rows, etc. But, as BlakeA says, eventually, you will have to start doing some pull-ups. Take your time and build your strength with other exercises, like KB rows, horizontal rows, Renegade Rows, and once you've built a little strength and lost some weight, then start moving into pull-ups. I recommend you wait until you can do at least 1 pull-up, start to finish before you start incorporating them into your training. Once you can do 1, then you can GTG. Then negatives will have a greater effect.

    Additionally, you may look into straight-arm pulls and just hanging from the bar. Like I said, ANYTHING that strengthens the lats will help. Unless you have a specific timeline, take your time with whatever your doing before you jump into the pull-ups.

  9. #9
    slcmarine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
    To start, know that lat pulldowns will NEVER help your pullup problem. I was told this as a boot, but I watched many try that route and it never works. So please do not waste your time with it.
    Renegade rows I can say I do not have alot of experience in as far as pushups go, but again that looks like an entirely different move.
    The best thing for pullups is pullups, and if you cant do one then start with negatives with gtg. When you can slow them down, do so. When you can hold, do so. Break the pullup down into thirds for how far up you are pulling yourself. Get strong in one distance, then add third.
    This will work
    I love renegade rows, but master the plank and kb row first. As for lay pull downs, they helped me when I was in the marines improve my pull ups. Just focus on the latisimis dorsi contracting and vary your grip: narrow-wide, palms in- palms out. Good luck

  10. #10
    BlakeA is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slcmarine View Post
    I love renegade rows, but master the plank and kb row first. As for lay pull downs, they helped me when I was in the marines improve my pull ups. Just focus on the latisimis dorsi contracting and vary your grip: narrow-wide, palms in- palms out. Good luck
    As a Marine myself, I have seen this recommended in the PT plans, but I have never seen it work.
    As for the changing of the hands, I would agree for improving pullups in different angles. Example: If you cant bench, an incline bench isnt gonna help a whole lot. Just my view.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Long before supplements there were really strong men

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Free Course
Close