The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    mdedwards is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    59

    Default deadlift replacement w/KB

    If one doens't have access or desire to use a barbell for deadlifts, what are the best uses of KBs in order to develop the same functionality that DLifts produce?

    Thanks
    Mike

  2. #2
    jkd1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319

    Default

    You can DL with KBs.... I love the contralateral single leg dead left.... My obliques want to cry after doing this heavy (88lbs)....

  3. #3
    shmathews is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,263
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdedwards View Post
    If one doens't have access or desire to use a barbell for deadlifts, what are the best uses of KBs in order to develop the same functionality that DLifts produce?

    Thanks
    Mike
    Deadlifting is about using full body tension to lift a relatively heavy weight. Unless you use very heavy kettlebells, there is no way to duplicate the deadlift. You can do swings, which recruit many of the same muscles and follow a similar movement pattern as deadlifts. Carryover has been demonstrated between swings and deadlifting. You can deadlift kettlebells, but that will not produce the kind of strength that the barbell deadlift will. You have asked about developing the same functionality as deadlifts- the functionality of deadlifts is the ability to lift a very heavy object off the floor. This requires mastery of full body tension and the development of a lifting groove. It would be hard to duplicate this without heavy lifting.
    Shmathews

    "Remember too, that I seek neither your approval nor to influence you towards my way of thinking."-- Bruce Lee, Liberate Yourself from Classical Karate

  4. #4
    CZECHSTER is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    177

    Default

    There is no replacement for the Deadlift.

    As the Great Jon Pall Sigmarsson said...

    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the Deadlift"

  5. #5
    jkd1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmathews View Post
    Deadlifting is about using full body tension to lift a relatively heavy weight. Unless you use very heavy kettlebells, there is no way to duplicate the deadlift. You can do swings, which recruit many of the same muscles and follow a similar movement pattern as deadlifts. Carryover has been demonstrated between swings and deadlifting. You can deadlift kettlebells, but that will not produce the kind of strength that the barbell deadlift will. You have asked about developing the same functionality as deadlifts- the functionality of deadlifts is the ability to lift a very heavy object off the floor. This requires mastery of full body tension and the development of a lifting groove. It would be hard to duplicate this without heavy lifting.
    I don't dispute what you are saying, but you can use heavy kbs and make it challenging with 1 leg DLs.... will this carry over to a true BB DL? Not sure, but there is value in doing KB DLs, just like doing KB goblet/front squats are still challenging and very worthwhile exercises but will they increase your heavy BB squats, may be some....

  6. #6
    shmathews is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,263
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkd1 View Post
    I don't dispute what you are saying, but you can use heavy kbs and make it challenging with 1 leg DLs.... will this carry over to a true BB DL? Not sure, but there is value in doing KB DLs, just like doing KB goblet/front squats are still challenging and very worthwhile exercises but will they increase your heavy BB squats, may be some....
    No doubt, there is value in doing KB deadlifts. The OP wanted to know if the functional benefits of barbell deadlifts could be duplicated with KB's. If you want to lift heavy, you must lift heavy.

    Several people have posted here about how they have maintained a very heavy (400 + pound) deadlift by doing heavy swings without deadlifting for several months, but I don't know of anyone who was untrained in the deadlift, did only kettlebell work, and then pulled a heavy deadlift.
    Shmathews

    "Remember too, that I seek neither your approval nor to influence you towards my way of thinking."-- Bruce Lee, Liberate Yourself from Classical Karate

  7. #7
    iPood is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    And how about holding a pair of very heavy kettlebells in each hand? I mean, deadlifting four "beasts" should produce pretty decent results, right?

  8. #8
    demarcoa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    91
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Swings have a good carryover to the deadlift. The heavier the better. Last September I deadlifted for the first time ever on a straight bar, (I'd done trap bar pulls once or twice) and did 255 @ 128. I'd been doing some sandbag stuff and lots of swings, going up to 5 reps shoulder height with 100lb.
    Deadlift-specific training, i.e. actually deadlifting--and no swings--brought my max up to 345 by the end of the year.
    So there is definitely a big carryover--as I recall Goerner supposedly focused on heavy swings and snatches and had a pretty darn big pull (understatement!) though I'd say actual barbell deadlifts will deliver better results for most people. It's specificity.
    And yes, you could deadlift, say, four heavy kettlebells but that really wouldn't be very cost-effective at all. For the weight a barbell is cheaper, and kettlebells are better used for the ballistic movements in which they have more unique benefits. Not that you shouldn't use heavy bells if you have them.

  9. #9
    booksbikesbeer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, Ia
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Thanks for the question mdedwards, and for all the replies from others. I've been curious about this myself.

    I have never deadlifted with a bar before, so I have no idea what I'm capable of. I have been swinging for a few years, and just this winter I started doing Single Leg Deadlifts to work on a strength imbalance. My right posterior muscles are quite a bit weaker than the left, I think this is from years of skateboarding, snowboarding, and playing tennis as a youth.

    Anyways, the right side is coming around. I'm now doing reps of SLDs with a bell in each hand for a total of 88 pounds. That is a decent amount over 1/2 my body weight. Pretty soon I'll be getting a 70 pound bell, and that would allow me to work up to a 123 pound SLD.

    If I ever get a chance to do some barbell deadlifting I'll let you all know how this practice carries over. Although I agree with what many of you said, if you want to get good at something, do that. There is no substitute. But I hope to be good at deadlifting someday (2x body weight would make me happy), and this is what I've got right now.

    Cheers,
    Brian

  10. #10
    mrMushroom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Götebrog, Sverige
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demarcoa View Post
    Swings have a good carryover to the deadlift. The heavier the better.
    So there is definitely a big carryover
    Agree! I pulled 160@70 without any specific technique training (5-10 reps a month for 2 months perhaps, just to try it out).
    Now I will try to incorporate it least once every week and see if any nice things happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Free Course
Close