The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Yorkshirecomrade Guest

    Default

    You hit the nail right on the head at the end there...

    He is strong at what he does for a living, he won't be able to do 250 snatches in ten minutes with a 24 (sticking my neck out slightly but you know what I'm getting at). But, if you train your body to do it then you are stronger than him at that particular exercise.

    The best thing you can do for life strength in my opinion is to use tried and tested, proven and smart regimes which primarily consist of the exercises I pointed out earlier. It's too easy to start picking weaknesses in programs or exercises.

    Oh and keep a strong healthy diet which you can sustain for life.

    Be who you are and work for what you want. Not for what Dave is doing in the corner or the numbers Steve is hitting next to you. You are where you are at and it's not a race. Pick a goal and go for it. If it's MP then MP. If it's lower body fat cut the crap out the diet and do some research. If it's a strong body for life strength... Cycle programs of the exercises I said earlier. The bonus of doing that, the aesthetics and wow factors will come in time if you want it enough and you are wise enough with diet and your body


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Good physiques are not given. They are forged through time, effort, dedication and hard work.

  2. #22
    EricJMoss is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Morris County
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    there seems to me a bit of confusion about goals. You have stated that you want to be an all around strong and fit individual but you are asking questions in a bodybuilding context (which is why others have remarked about the whole naming muscles being the worst thing to happen to strength training). The thing with being all around strong and fit as you probably realize doesn't have a whole lot to do with the size of a muscle but more about the strength of muscles as they relate to movement patterns. The "what the heck effect" is what will make you an all around strong and fit individual. Basically get good at a few things that have a high carryover to other things and you will have your strength and fitness and if you are eating right you'll have the looks that come with it.

    if it's simply a case of curiosity then you would need to test both exercises with an emg...otherwise we are all just guessing
    Eric Moss RKC, FMS
    Only weirdos neglect to read my blog[URL="http://www.ericjmoss.com"] EricJMoss.com[/URL] you aren't a weirdo are you?
    The secrets of the[I] closed door[/I] RKC forum finally [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw"]revealed here[/URL]

    Kettlebell [URL="http://www.EricMossFitness.com/nj-fitness-bootcamp"]Bootcamp Class in NJ[/URL]

    [I]Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the words that come out of my mouth or the ones I type[/I] [I]and nothing I recommend should be taken as medical advice or even anything intelligent[/I].
    [URL="http://www.kettlebellmeltdown.com"]
    [/URL]

  3. #23
    faizalenu is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,931
    Blog Entries
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EricJMoss View Post
    there seems to me a bit of confusion about goals. You have stated that you want to be an all around strong and fit individual but you are asking questions in a bodybuilding context (which is why others have remarked about the whole naming muscles being the worst thing to happen to strength training). The thing with being all around strong and fit as you probably realize doesn't have a whole lot to do with the size of a muscle but more about the strength of muscles as they relate to movement patterns. The "what the heck effect" is what will make you an all around strong and fit individual. Basically get good at a few things that have a high carryover to other things and you will have your strength and fitness and if you are eating right you'll have the looks that come with it.

    if it's simply a case of curiosity then you would need to test both exercises with an emg...otherwise we are all just guessing
    The problem isn't with naming muscles, the problem is thinking there a movement only uses one muscle. There is such a thing as compound movements that use multiple muscles.

    But if you are going to question whether a muscle works in an exercise, AT LEAST know what the muscle does. The triceps extends the elbow. In the KB military press we extend the elbow.
    Faizal S. Enu, CFT/RKC/PBA
    My blog: [URL]http://faizalenu.blogspot.com[/URL]
    Workshop Schedule: [URL="http://tinyurl.com/XA-Kettlebell-Workshops"]http://tinyurl.com/XA-Kettlebell-Workshops[/URL]

  4. #24
    EricJMoss is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Morris County
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faizalenu View Post
    The problem isn't with naming muscles, the problem is thinking there a movement only uses one muscle. There is such a thing as compound movements that use multiple muscles.

    But if you are going to question whether a muscle works in an exercise, AT LEAST know what the muscle does. The triceps extends the elbow. In the KB military press we extend the elbow.
    right, it's good for basic anatomy but when you start separating the muscles into which exercises work what it distracts from the purpose...like trying to learn advanced stuff before learning the basics. nobody thinks left foot right foot when they walk...they just do it
    Eric Moss RKC, FMS
    Only weirdos neglect to read my blog[URL="http://www.ericjmoss.com"] EricJMoss.com[/URL] you aren't a weirdo are you?
    The secrets of the[I] closed door[/I] RKC forum finally [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw"]revealed here[/URL]

    Kettlebell [URL="http://www.EricMossFitness.com/nj-fitness-bootcamp"]Bootcamp Class in NJ[/URL]

    [I]Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the words that come out of my mouth or the ones I type[/I] [I]and nothing I recommend should be taken as medical advice or even anything intelligent[/I].
    [URL="http://www.kettlebellmeltdown.com"]
    [/URL]

  5. #25
    Jeff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faizalenu View Post
    The problem isn't with naming muscles, the problem is thinking there a movement only uses one muscle. There is such a thing as compound movements that use multiple muscles.

    But if you are going to question whether a muscle works in an exercise, AT LEAST know what the muscle does. The triceps extends the elbow. In the KB military press we extend the elbow.

    I think we have all agreed to that from the very beginning, so not much contribution there.


    There was never a question as to whether or not the triceps were involved in the mp, but due to the nature of the movement, how much of the load was actually placed on the triceps.

  6. #26
    305pelusa Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I think we have all agreed to that from the very beginning, so not much contribution there.


    There was never a question as to whether or not the triceps were involved in the mp, but due to the nature of the movement, how much of the load was actually placed on the triceps.
    OMG! I will end this right now. NO! The triceps isn't worked NEARLY as much during Military presses as the lats and delts. Not even close. As everyone one in this thread knows, they still get a strong work. But not as much as in OAPUs.

    With OAPUs, as long as u keep the elbow tucked-in, the triceps receives a huge workload.

    You will only need to do MPs to get very strong pushing muscles. It's just that your Delts will be stronger than the triceps. You can definitely cycle between periods of OAPUs and MPs, to maintain some cycling built-in for your muscles. Your triceps will get very strong with MPs, but they'll get even stronger with OAPUs. The reverse also applies to the delts.

    Fair enough? lol

  7. #27
    Jeff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 305pelusa View Post
    OMG! I will end this right now. NO! The triceps isn't worked NEARLY as much during Military presses as the lats and delts. Not even close. As everyone one in this thread knows, they still get a strong work. But not as much as in OAPUs.

    With OAPUs, as long as u keep the elbow tucked-in, the triceps receives a huge workload.

    You will only need to do MPs to get very strong pushing muscles. It's just that your Delts will be stronger than the triceps. You can definitely cycle between periods of OAPUs and MPs, to maintain some cycling built-in for your muscles. Your triceps will get very strong with MPs, but they'll get even stronger with OAPUs. The reverse also applies to the delts.

    Fair enough? lol
    Plenty fair.

    For now on I want you to personally answer all of my workout questions!

  8. #28
    Silverfroth is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Interesting thread.

    Speed/pace when doing certain exercises really makes a difference - I always get a feeling that most people take the same up speed as they do down speed.

    Do a normal speed up - and go slow on the down, taking twice as long to come down. . . .you'll feel that in the tricept.

    But I do agree that other exercises focus more on the tricept - the tricept in the military press functions tertiary.

    The more developed my tricepts have become the less such things challenge it - making it harder to efficiently work the tricepts overall.
    Last edited by Silverfroth; 05-07-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3]Enjoy[/SIZE][/CENTER]

  9. #29
    Yorkshirecomrade Guest

    Default

    The problem isn't with naming muscles, the problem is thinking there a movement only uses one muscle. There is such a thing as compound movements that use multiple muscles.

    But if you are going to question whether a muscle works in an exercise, AT LEAST know what the muscle does. The triceps extends the elbow. In the KB military press we extend the elbow.



    I think that's all that needed to be said on this matter. All my waffling on didn't help but this is perfect

    Can I just say however, that if you want to be really pedantic about the involvement of the tricep in MP then you could be so about it in the OAPU. Tricep extensions would alleviate that for you. I'm still struggling with the original post I must admit.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Good physiques are not given. They are forged through time, effort, dedication and hard work.

  10. #30
    Chiggers Guest

    Default

    If you want to isolate the tricep there are better movements to focus on. That takes nothing away from all the movements that you mentioned. In my experience I always focussed on kettlebells for their balistic usage and form high repetition Jerk and Long Cycle work I saw some nice tricep development. I think it resulted from the time over a set spent in the lockout.

    Original OP remember on here most are going to come at you with the compound lift, funcitonal fitness line - so specifically isolating a particular muscle isn't really the name of the game for most here. Nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Free Course
Close