The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    HUNTER1313 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    389

    Default Single arm kettlebell deadlifts

    Well the wife put the kabosh on me deadlifting in the house. So that means no thick bar deads. It's not really feasable to do it anywhere else. I was thinking I could rig up a "rolling thunder" type device or just do single arm deads with my bells. Is this a good alternative for right now? Space is quite limited.

  2. #2
    Opus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Or you could get a new wife

  3. #3
    bradleytkay is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    50

    Default

    While I love the pure, simple barbell deadlift, there is also much to be said for the single-leg deadlift, which can be done very effectively with kettlebells. Some interesting reading on it here:

    http://coachkevcarr.com/2011/01/28/c...leg-dead-lift/
    Last edited by bradleytkay; 08-10-2011 at 06:44 AM.

  4. #4
    HUNTER1313 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    389

    Default

    I was thinking of keeping both feet on the ground.

  5. #5
    shmathews is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,263
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HUNTER1313 View Post
    Well the wife put the kabosh on me deadlifting in the house. So that means no thick bar deads. It's not really feasable to do it anywhere else. I was thinking I could rig up a "rolling thunder" type device or just do single arm deads with my bells. Is this a good alternative for right now? Space is quite limited.
    You can also deadlift two kettlebells together with one hand. You get a heavier deadlift than with one, and you get the benefits of a thick bar, holding two handles instead of one. Try it. You'll like it.
    Shmathews

    "Remember too, that I seek neither your approval nor to influence you towards my way of thinking."-- Bruce Lee, [I]Liberate Yourself from Classical Karate[/I]

  6. #6
    HUNTER1313 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmathews View Post
    You can also deadlift two kettlebells together with one hand. You get a heavier deadlift than with one, and you get the benefits of a thick bar, holding two handles instead of one. Try it. You'll like it.
    Thought you said I would like it? It is brutal. Will keep on doing this for awhile. Def a different feeling than any other deadlift. Thanks for the tip. ps it sucks getting the bells into position though.

  7. #7
    faizalenu is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,931
    Blog Entries
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HUNTER1313 View Post
    Well the wife put the kabosh on me deadlifting in the house. So that means no thick bar deads. It's not really feasable to do it anywhere else. I was thinking I could rig up a "rolling thunder" type device or just do single arm deads with my bells. Is this a good alternative for right now? Space is quite limited.
    Heavy kb front squats would carry over much better to deadlifting than single arm deadlifts. Single arm KB deadlifts seem pretty much useless, you might as well swing, which would also transfer better to the deadlift.
    Faizal S. Enu, CFT/RKC/PBA
    My blog: [URL]http://faizalenu.blogspot.com[/URL]
    Workshop Schedule: [URL="http://tinyurl.com/XA-Kettlebell-Workshops"]http://tinyurl.com/XA-Kettlebell-Workshops[/URL]

  8. #8
    Yorkshirecomrade Guest

    Default

    Excuse my ignorance Faizalenu... Why would the front squat help/be more likely to help? Thanks man. Deadlifting is something I want to get into in the next 6 months and I just wondered...


    ---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Good physiques are not given. They are forged through time, effort, dedication and hard work.

  9. #9
    faizalenu is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,931
    Blog Entries
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirecomrade View Post
    Excuse my ignorance Faizalenu... Why would the front squat help/be more likely to help? Thanks man. Deadlifting is something I want to get into in the next 6 months and I just wondered...


    ---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Good physiques are not given. They are forged through time, effort, dedication and hard work.
    In your situation, the front squat will allow you to use more weight than single arm KB deadlifts. Single arm deadlifts are not going to require full body tension that will transfer to heavy deadlifts.
    Faizal S. Enu, CFT/RKC/PBA
    My blog: [URL]http://faizalenu.blogspot.com[/URL]
    Workshop Schedule: [URL="http://tinyurl.com/XA-Kettlebell-Workshops"]http://tinyurl.com/XA-Kettlebell-Workshops[/URL]

  10. #10
    sckiely is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Blue Mountains, Australia
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Also high rep deadlifts with 2 KB, done sumo style is a great alternative, i picked this up from return of the KB by Pavel and have incorporated into all my programs that do not focus on HEAVY deadlifts, My deadlifts have always improved when they are brought back into the program.

    Pavel recommends sets of 20x2 but i have used progressions depending on the bells i am using. But the grip improvement is awesome!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Free Course
Close