• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

16kg Volume Snatch Progress: Where to go next?

kidkick06

Yesterday I completed 16kg x 13 sets x 10 reps / arm for a total of 260 snatches in 18 minutes (14.4 reps / minute, 30s rest per set).

I am wondering where I might go from here in terms of continued gains:

Should I continue to add sets of 10?

Should I decrease rest interval from 30 seconds?

Should I move to snatching a 20kg?

I don't have clear goals yet, so I'm assuming that might make it difficult to answer the question, but what have people done in the past for progression? Just trying to get ideas on how to keep moving forward in max strength and size.

Thanks,
Hunter

GeoffreyLevens

"I don't have clear goals yet, so I'm assuming that might make it difficult to answer the question, but what have people done in the past for progression?"

Goals make ALL the difference. Are you after LSD conditioning, similar but different to slow running? Power production increase? Building the mythical mitochondria?

Personally, I'd read this first and use that as input on your decisions as to goal(s). Methods will follow goals almost automatically:

Understanding Why “Less Is More” with Anti-Glycolytic Training

AHarvey

Administrator
Staff member
First off, congrats on that accomplishment! Sounds like your conditioning is in an excellent place.

From there it depends on what you'd like from your training - certainly snatching a 18kg or 20kg will slow you down a bit - the handles will be larger, requiring more grip activation in particular parts of the movement, and you'll need to generate more overall power.

Again the question would be what would you like to work towards - greater strength endurance (going heavier), vs greater endurance (going for longer, maybe trying longer sets than 10 at least in the first half of the sequence, and/or shorter rests). If you're going for strength/size you may be more excited by the idea of working heavier for a shorter period of time.

What was your inspiration to go for the 260 snatches in 18 mins? Considering the speed of that (and I don't know your experience level, so forgive me if I'm assuming the wrong side) a smaller immediate goal might be to fine-tune the form of each snatch.

Again, congratulations! And be sure to choose a goal that inspires you

Yesterday I completed 16kg x 13 sets x 10 reps / arm for a total of 260 snatches in 18 minutes (14.4 reps / minute, 30s rest per set).

I am wondering where I might go from here in terms of continued gains:

Should I continue to add sets of 10?

Should I decrease rest interval from 30 seconds?

Should I move to snatching a 20kg?

I don't have clear goals yet, so I'm assuming that might make it difficult to answer the question, but what have people done in the past for progression? Just trying to get ideas on how to keep moving forward in max strength and size.

Thanks,
Hunter

kidkick06

Thanks Adrienne.

Honestly in my mind, 260 snatches is super wack. I'm also hard on myself and no frame of reference really for what is good vs. ok etc. I generally tend to lock every single rep out completely vertical...is that good? My only frame of reference is what vague recollection I have of the SSST at 24kg x 200 reps in 10 mins (I think). Which is godly. But thanks anyways!

My goal is actually to get a lot of new, unexpected lumps on various parts of my forearms. I believe that the more unusual lumps 'n bumps a person has on their forearms, the stronger they are.

I've seen my lower forearms between the meat region and my wrist become beefier than ever. I used to be a competitive endurance mountain bike racer but now I'm old (33) and my body hurts too much so I'm focusing on kettlebells now for my main source of shred.

I should probably be more experienced than I am but frankly riding bikes, and especially mountain bikes, took care of my physicality in most ways. I'd had DD bells since like '07 when Pavel and DuCane were just wee lads and Pavel made super dry, hilarious DVD's like Super Joints and Relax into Stretch. Also whatever happened to Adam Glass? Is that guy still around? Used to be the absolute crusher on iron bending and I think even one-arm chins.

I just picked up 2 new kettlebells today actually so will be able to do doubles work for the first time ever like a Mike Mahler freakazoid kid. Promise I'm not name-dropping but man, it's been a while! Heading in to KB's more serious than ever. Good to be here.

First off, congrats on that accomplishment! Sounds like your conditioning is in an excellent place.

From there it depends on what you'd like from your training - certainly snatching a 18kg or 20kg will slow you down a bit - the handles will be larger, requiring more grip activation in particular parts of the movement, and you'll need to generate more overall power.

Again the question would be what would you like to work towards - greater strength endurance (going heavier), vs greater endurance (going for longer, maybe trying longer sets than 10 at least in the first half of the sequence, and/or shorter rests). If you're going for strength/size you may be more excited by the idea of working heavier for a shorter period of time.

What was your inspiration to go for the 260 snatches in 18 mins? Considering the speed of that (and I don't know your experience level, so forgive me if I'm assuming the wrong side) a smaller immediate goal might be to fine-tune the form of each snatch.

Again, congratulations! And be sure to choose a goal that inspires you

AHarvey

Administrator
Staff member
Oh cool! Another "old timer" I was first certified "way back" in 2010, and it was such a game changer! That particular cert ended up being a who's who. Those early DVDs are awesome!

260 snatches is bananas... frankly I like to mix things up a bit - we're all different however.

Doubles will definitely be great - the complexes in particular - variety and really hitting everything - swing, clean press squat, or 5 swings, 5 cleans, 5 presses, 5 squats... or if I'm being obnoxious, I put the presses at the end :) Considering your snatching regimen I can see you having a lot of fun with an ascending/descending laddered complex etc.

Enjoy your new kettlebells!

Thanks Adrienne.

Honestly in my mind, 260 snatches is super wack. I'm also hard on myself and no frame of reference really for what is good vs. ok etc. I generally tend to lock every single rep out completely vertical...is that good? My only frame of reference is what vague recollection I have of the SSST at 24kg x 200 reps in 10 mins (I think). Which is godly. But thanks anyways!

My goal is actually to get a lot of new, unexpected lumps on various parts of my forearms. I believe that the more unusual lumps 'n bumps a person has on their forearms, the stronger they are.

I've seen my lower forearms between the meat region and my wrist become beefier than ever. I used to be a competitive endurance mountain bike racer but now I'm old (33) and my body hurts too much so I'm focusing on kettlebells now for my main source of shred.

I should probably be more experienced than I am but frankly riding bikes, and especially mountain bikes, took care of my physicality in most ways. I'd had DD bells since like '07 when Pavel and DuCane were just wee lads and Pavel made super dry, hilarious DVD's like Super Joints and Relax into Stretch. Also whatever happened to Adam Glass? Is that guy still around? Used to be the absolute crusher on iron bending and I think even one-arm chins.

I just picked up 2 new kettlebells today actually so will be able to do doubles work for the first time ever like a Mike Mahler freakazoid kid. Promise I'm not name-dropping but man, it's been a while! Heading in to KB's more serious than ever. Good to be here.

kidkick06

Right on thanks for the tips!

Always wanted to get certified but never had the money / focus. Maybe soon!

Great to meet you Adrienne and glad to see some old time folks are still hanging around.

Hunter

Oh cool! Another "old timer" I was first certified "way back" in 2010, and it was such a game changer! That particular cert ended up being a who's who. Those early DVDs are awesome!

260 snatches is bananas... frankly I like to mix things up a bit - we're all different however.

Doubles will definitely be great - the complexes in particular - variety and really hitting everything - swing, clean press squat, or 5 swings, 5 cleans, 5 presses, 5 squats... or if I'm being obnoxious, I put the presses at the end :) Considering your snatching regimen I can see you having a lot of fun with an ascending/descending laddered complex etc.

Enjoy your new kettlebells!

Free Course