• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Asked not to lift heavy......has this happened to anyone else?

Android-Man

Hello Everybody, I have a bit of a dillema at hand. The other day I was doing health lifts at the gym I work at. I had decent weight on the bar ( 600 pounds), not insane weight, but not light either. I wrapped up my workout and went home. The following day my GM pulls me aside and said to me " I dont want my bars bending, please use lighter weights and higher reps".

At first I laughed, thinking he was joking, then when I realized he wasn't I was shocked. I recommended buying a buffalo bar, but he said to me " Not for 1 or 2 guys, just no-one lifts heavy around here, except for you".

Has anyone else had this problem, I think it might be a first.

ad5ly

No I have not been asked. But when you train outside your own premises be prepared to have people place restrictions on what you can do. A Gyms' first priority is to make money and if cutting corners by not providing the very best equip for the very best lifters is decided then consider doing your HEAVY lifting at home - or get to a gym that places producing strong lifters on a higher priority...Dennis

fatman

No reason to be shocked.

Were you lifting on a lifting platform? Dropping 600 lbs. on the floor tends to damage the floor and the bars, even the plates if they're not bumper plates. If I were the GM I'd ask you to stop doing it, and if you were the GM you'd probably do the same.

Do deadlifts instead of health lifts. Ego takes a smack, but you get far more benefits.

Lift in your own back yard and put 1,000 lbs. on the bar if you want, no one will object (except maybe your wife or significant other).

Find a powerlifting gym or a Crossfit gym. They will have platforms and bumpers.

If you're the only one lifting in the gym, it's probably a good idea to look for another gym.

EDIT: didn't see that you work at the gym - they probably aren't going to buy a buffalo bar just for your convenience.

Also ask the guy if you can buy your own bar and keep it locked up in a closet or something. Some lifters do that at the gym that I go to in order to avoid other people abusing the bar (i.e. dropping it on the bare floor or on the pins while loaded).

Last edited:

Wolfeye

Banned
Was thinking the same thing as the end of fatman's post. Maybe you'd want to leave it in a corner or something so other people could use it. Could be a "performance-enhancer" or at least a conversation starter. Don't know if you are a personal trainer (or want to be), but maybe that would be a springboard.

Free Course