• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Cycling

gaijin

No,not weights.I mean riding a bike.Thomas Kurz(Stadion) says that riding a bike(or stationary cycle) can impair flexibility due to it's limited range of motion and stablization of the hips.
Does Pavel also support this theory?

Jared in MT

My experience..

after just one season of amateur mtn bike racing, my hip flexors tightened considerably. Other than that, no real issues, but that was only one short season.

http://www.fitnessyoucanuse.com

Matthew

confirmed

my hips and legs in general were very very tight after years of very avid cycling. they are much better now, but still have lots of room to improve.

if you are going to cycle do lots of cossacks. do lunges. do lots of hip and leg mobility work. do stuff that extends your spine. (cycling tends to keep your spine flexed for long periods of time.)
get "super joints", and "resilient". and maybe some other stuff as well.

hope that helps
Matt

pu3tong1hua4

confirmed again... commuted solely on bike. very tight...

but it depends both on the amount of riding, the amount of stretching, and how much flexibility you need... of course a gymnast or a flying kicker probably shouldn't want to ride at all, as kurz says.

but then, i'm cautious with kurz at the moment - even though i had his stuff first - because i've never heard directly what is pavel's take on his work. (party line!)

i wouldn't be scared to ride a bit these days, since my training is less reliant on kicking than others. i still wouldn't want to push it, since i personally find kicking more RECREATIONALLY appealing than riding...

odanelli

Here's my take

2 years ago, I became a competitive Mountain and Road cyclist here in Colorado. My PT and massage therapist love to laugh at us cyclists due to our poor flexibility. The position, and constant pulling/pushing of the hamstring and glutes makes for very poor flexibility in the hips. Despite my best intended efforts to stretch before and after every workout, my flexibility is still poor at best. Good thing is, after training with KB's, the stress/strain in my lower back is virtually gone. Then again, this is the off season.

Best advice when it comes to a bike, be sure to get fitted properly. A poor fitiing bike, can lead to knee pain, back pain, shoulder pain, ankle pain, and the list goes on. When I say fitted properly, that menas, be sure to go to a reputable Bike Shop, and spend the extra money to get a professional bike fit. Whether you intend to race, or ride for cardio conditioning, it will make all the difference to your joints and flexibility.

Kevin Mitchell

I think its a trade-off. I raced full time for several years on the road and track. The leg strenght I got from cycling was incredible, the first time somebody showed me pistols I had no problem with them but ask me to tie my shoes staight legged and i didn't stand a chance. Looking at your posts it looks like M/A is your thing, If I were you I'd stick with that.

gaijin

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.Yes,i am a martial artist and flexibility is definatley an issue.I'll stick with running and skipping for cardio.

Free Course