• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Dammit! Smoked My Back...

GunnyHighway

After a 3-month hiatus from the bells, I went back 5 weeks ago. I did a month of program minimum to work back into it. Then I tried a little mini-test after a week of ROP and smoked my lower back pretty good.

It didn't hurt at the time, but started hurting the next day. Sounds like maybe just muscle soreness from overwork, which usually doesn't start until next day for me? For some reason, unlike any other muscle, I can never tell be the feel with my lower back.

I'm thinking I'll give it an extra rest day and see how it feels. Thoughts?

ad5ly

Gunny - I would imagine everyone that lifts weights at times strain their back. Bruce Lee did and I believe it bothered him for years. I wonder if Pavel or Dave Whitley ever went over the line and hurt his back to a degree that he had to take a few months off? I see it as the price that you pay as you learn what you can or cannot do.

The big point is that you know if a lift goes bad - or in your case you have back soreness the next day you have sense to give it rest. This happens to everyone imho. You are not alone here beleive me..Dennis

kodo kb

For some reason, unlike any other muscle, I can never tell be the feel with my lower back.

Same here.
I'd say take at least 2-3 days off. Lower back fatigue effects a lot from my experience, and it is very worth giving yourself the recovery time you need to be back at ~100%.
Hope you're not hurt.

Cheers
Josh

Striker

I can tell you what I generally do if it's just muscle soreness. I stretch the area and the surrounding area. I also foam or ball roll over the area and many times it lets me hit the "spot" and help with recovery.

Since we are talking about the lower back, please proceed at your own risk and take it slowly.

postandspread

Stuart McGill has said somewhere that many back strains are due to limited hip mobility and that in such cases it's the wrong thing to stretch the back, esp. lower back, for relief. If that's the case with you, it would be necessary to regularly do hip mobility drills, particularly before subjecting the back to the stress of exercise.

Jason-HKC

You didn't mention what the mini-test was that you performed.

However, if you are 'smoking' your lower back, it is likely a technique issue. After you are healed up, see a pro to have that evaluated.

Jason-HKC >>Now RKC

GunnyHighway

You didn't mention what the mini-test was that you performed.

However, if you are 'smoking' your lower back, it is likely a technique issue. After you are healed up, see a pro to have that evaluated.

Jason-HKC >>Now RKC

It was swings, and yeah, I'm sure form had something to do with it. I'm sure my form deteriorated some as I pushed to get more reps in after I was tired.

postandspread

Any recommendations?

For warmups I do the wall-facing squats from ETK, hip-hinging with an emphasis on pushing the butt back, frog squats (less frequently). Pavel has described a very useful visualisation in connection with stretching the hamstrings, in one of his videos: imagine your femurs trying to push themselves out through your butt cheeks. There are always any number of little opportunities in everyday activities to practice hip-mobility as often as one wants.

Incidentally, I have found that strengthening the glutes has tremendously helped me in at least two ways: oftentimes movement seems to be naturally initiated at and "controlled" by the glutes reducing the strain on the lower back, and, one is more conscious of activation, or the lack of it, in the glutes.

fatman

My lower back gets very sore from squats and deadlifts. This is quite normal - if you work a muscle group, it tends to get sore.

People (myself included) tend to freak out about the lower back because it's an area prone to terrible, crippling injuries, but really it's no different than getting sore pecs / shoulders from bench pressing or sore biceps from curling, which most people don't even think twice about.

Some individuals tend to get muscle soreness more than others. I get MS (often severe) after every single training session, and have for years. I train 4-5 times per week and have never had a serious injury from lifting. It doesn't have to be a strain or injury if it hurts. Still, if you have suspicions, go see a doctor immediately - the best solution is always the logical one.

Free Course