• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

deadlift replacement w/KB

mdedwards

If one doens't have access or desire to use a barbell for deadlifts, what are the best uses of KBs in order to develop the same functionality that DLifts produce?

Thanks
Mike

jkd1

You can DL with KBs.... I love the contralateral single leg dead left.... My obliques want to cry after doing this heavy (88lbs)....

shmathews

If one doens't have access or desire to use a barbell for deadlifts, what are the best uses of KBs in order to develop the same functionality that DLifts produce?

Thanks
Mike

Deadlifting is about using full body tension to lift a relatively heavy weight. Unless you use very heavy kettlebells, there is no way to duplicate the deadlift. You can do swings, which recruit many of the same muscles and follow a similar movement pattern as deadlifts. Carryover has been demonstrated between swings and deadlifting. You can deadlift kettlebells, but that will not produce the kind of strength that the barbell deadlift will. You have asked about developing the same functionality as deadlifts- the functionality of deadlifts is the ability to lift a very heavy object off the floor. This requires mastery of full body tension and the development of a lifting groove. It would be hard to duplicate this without heavy lifting.

CZECHSTER

Banned
There is no replacement for the Deadlift.

As the Great Jon Pall Sigmarsson said...

"There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the Deadlift"

jkd1

Deadlifting is about using full body tension to lift a relatively heavy weight. Unless you use very heavy kettlebells, there is no way to duplicate the deadlift. You can do swings, which recruit many of the same muscles and follow a similar movement pattern as deadlifts. Carryover has been demonstrated between swings and deadlifting. You can deadlift kettlebells, but that will not produce the kind of strength that the barbell deadlift will. You have asked about developing the same functionality as deadlifts- the functionality of deadlifts is the ability to lift a very heavy object off the floor. This requires mastery of full body tension and the development of a lifting groove. It would be hard to duplicate this without heavy lifting.

I don't dispute what you are saying, but you can use heavy kbs and make it challenging with 1 leg DLs.... will this carry over to a true BB DL? Not sure, but there is value in doing KB DLs, just like doing KB goblet/front squats are still challenging and very worthwhile exercises but will they increase your heavy BB squats, may be some....

shmathews

I don't dispute what you are saying, but you can use heavy kbs and make it challenging with 1 leg DLs.... will this carry over to a true BB DL? Not sure, but there is value in doing KB DLs, just like doing KB goblet/front squats are still challenging and very worthwhile exercises but will they increase your heavy BB squats, may be some....

No doubt, there is value in doing KB deadlifts. The OP wanted to know if the functional benefits of barbell deadlifts could be duplicated with KB's. If you want to lift heavy, you must lift heavy.

Several people have posted here about how they have maintained a very heavy (400 + pound) deadlift by doing heavy swings without deadlifting for several months, but I don't know of anyone who was untrained in the deadlift, did only kettlebell work, and then pulled a heavy deadlift.

iPood

And how about holding a pair of very heavy kettlebells in each hand? I mean, deadlifting four "beasts" should produce pretty decent results, right?

demarcoa

Swings have a good carryover to the deadlift. The heavier the better. Last September I deadlifted for the first time ever on a straight bar, (I'd done trap bar pulls once or twice) and did 255 @ 128. I'd been doing some sandbag stuff and lots of swings, going up to 5 reps shoulder height with 100lb.
Deadlift-specific training, i.e. actually deadlifting--and no swings--brought my max up to 345 by the end of the year.
So there is definitely a big carryover--as I recall Goerner supposedly focused on heavy swings and snatches and had a pretty darn big pull (understatement!) though I'd say actual barbell deadlifts will deliver better results for most people. It's specificity.
And yes, you could deadlift, say, four heavy kettlebells but that really wouldn't be very cost-effective at all. For the weight a barbell is cheaper, and kettlebells are better used for the ballistic movements in which they have more unique benefits. Not that you shouldn't use heavy bells if you have them.

booksbikesbeer

Thanks for the question mdedwards, and for all the replies from others. I've been curious about this myself.

I have never deadlifted with a bar before, so I have no idea what I'm capable of. I have been swinging for a few years, and just this winter I started doing Single Leg Deadlifts to work on a strength imbalance. My right posterior muscles are quite a bit weaker than the left, I think this is from years of skateboarding, snowboarding, and playing tennis as a youth.

Anyways, the right side is coming around. I'm now doing reps of SLDs with a bell in each hand for a total of 88 pounds. That is a decent amount over 1/2 my body weight. Pretty soon I'll be getting a 70 pound bell, and that would allow me to work up to a 123 pound SLD.

If I ever get a chance to do some barbell deadlifting I'll let you all know how this practice carries over. Although I agree with what many of you said, if you want to get good at something, do that. There is no substitute. But I hope to be good at deadlifting someday (2x body weight would make me happy), and this is what I've got right now.

Cheers,
Brian

mrMushroom

Swings have a good carryover to the deadlift. The heavier the better.
So there is definitely a big carryover

Agree! I pulled 160@70 without any specific technique training (5-10 reps a month for 2 months perhaps, just to try it out).
Now I will try to incorporate it least once every week and see if any nice things happen.

demarcoa

Thanks for the question mdedwards, and for all the replies from others. I've been curious about this myself.

I have never deadlifted with a bar before, so I have no idea what I'm capable of. I have been swinging for a few years, and just this winter I started doing Single Leg Deadlifts to work on a strength imbalance. My right posterior muscles are quite a bit weaker than the left, I think this is from years of skateboarding, snowboarding, and playing tennis as a youth.

Anyways, the right side is coming around. I'm now doing reps of SLDs with a bell in each hand for a total of 88 pounds. That is a decent amount over 1/2 my body weight. Pretty soon I'll be getting a 70 pound bell, and that would allow me to work up to a 123 pound SLD.

If I ever get a chance to do some barbell deadlifting I'll let you all know how this practice carries over. Although I agree with what many of you said, if you want to get good at something, do that. There is no substitute. But I hope to be good at deadlifting someday (2x body weight would make me happy), and this is what I've got right now.

Cheers,
Brian

That's good. Between heavy swings and SLDLs, maybe some pistols your lower body will be strong enough to pull pretty heavy without actually deadlifting. However, if you ever get a chance to train regularly with a bar and want to be serious about pulling aim for at least 2.5x bodyweight. Double bw is only the beginning.

booksbikesbeer

Thanks demarcoa. I'll keep the 2.5 bodyweight DL in mind. But right now that 375 pounds seems way out there. I got time, though.

Oh, and I love the pistol, too. I generally do them with just my bodweight, but I don't tend to mix them in with SLDs as that just seems to fry my glutes. Especially right now since it is xc ski season.

demarcoa

375 may seem like a lot to you now, but I'm sure you can do it. I'll be pulling around 4 plates by summertime and I could only do 255 last September as I said... and I'm not really predisposed to be a strong fellow it's all about hard and consistent work.
I want to pull well over 600 someday.

PeterHuntRKC

Jon Pall Well-Heeded His Own Advice

Hello, CZECHSTER:

Mr. Sigmarsson did not quite deadlift to his 33rd birthday.

Regards,
Peter.
/You sound young.

CZECHSTER

Banned

Hello, CZECHSTER:

Mr. Sigmarsson did not quite deadlift to his 33rd birthday.

Regards,
Peter.
/You sound young.

You are correct, he actually died while doing Deadlifts.
That's how I would like to go out, battling a heavy Deadlift.
I will be 50 in August.

EricJMoss

deadlifting a kettlebell or 2 slowly for high reps (like 20) with a quarter of your deadlift weight supposedly translates to a high deadlift

other then that which actual benefits are you looking for? doing swings works the same muscles without the loading at the top and does it explosively. no it isn't the same but it has it's own benefits

iPood

And yes, you could deadlift, say, four heavy kettlebells but that really wouldn't be very cost-effective at all. For the weight a barbell is cheaper, and kettlebells are better used for the ballistic movements in which they have more unique benefits. Not that you shouldn't use heavy bells if you have them.

I know there is no substitute for barbell lifting when going really heavy. But... for someone living in a small space with no room enough for a power rack, perhaps heavy stacked kettlebell squats, deadlifts and presses might be a solution.

Zombrofa

I never did barbell DLs, but I do one leg deadlifts with 2 heavy kbells, one in each hand, and I have found that I could comfortably lift the 100+ kg wheat sacks after the harvest, which seems like a similar movement to the normal deadlift.
But ofcourse I don't know how heavy I could go with a normal barbell DL..

Free Course