• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Does tension/strength give you endurance?

d1g1talscar

I used to think that strength and endurance are very different. Now I'm having second thoughts but still am not sure. Since by raising your 1RM you raise your 5RM, and vice versa, doesn't it mean that strength and endurance are the same thing? I dunno, I dunno.

Wrestling takes much exertion . . . that's why I'm asking. I have PTP and am trying to get stronger. However I keep thinking that endurance exercises are ideal for wrestling conditioning. Yet again, lifting more than 5 reps per set is BODYBUILDING . . . and I don't want that. I need to stay at my current weight.

PTP is very appealing, and I love it. But I need some assurance that I am on the right track in wrestling conditioning for this winter.

"Hmmm . . . Quite a conundrum . . ."
Help a Russian out!

Rubin

Refer to conditioning for grapplers more than PTP

There is a differnce between preparation for competition and training itself. I don't know wheather you're preparing for competition or not. If not than alternating pure strength training cycle and 2-4 weeks of strength and conditioning exercises for MA is my proposition. During the pure strength training phase your sport specific training should be lighter and during strength and conditioning phase it can be harder.
Refer to Steve Maxwell Strength and Conditioning DVD, Steve Cotter DVDs and Mike Mahler "Aggressive Strength for MMA" for strength and conditioning exercises.
See the link below about pacing the tension for different purposes.
Read coach Ethan Reeve and Steve Maxwell forum posts about training for grappling.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/238/

d1g1talscar

The wrestling season officially starts in December...

...so I have roughly five months to get strength (and endurance, if it's not the same thing).

JohnBrowning

YOu should be doing a bulk of your strength work dureing the off season. As the season grows closser and closer you really need to focas on anerobic endurance with a little bit of cardio thrown in! Strength does enhance endurance but not quite the way you are thinking. THe higher your absolute strength the lounger you can hold a submaximal weight as compared to you in a weaker state. The problem with endurance though is that it is based on metabolic functions (see kreb cycle)where strength usualy is not! Strength/Endurance is not a 1:1 ratio so if you needed to do 50 reps with 250lbs. training to specificly accomplish this goal would make more sense then doing 450lbs singles.

The ideal situation for a wrestler is to have a mix of anarobic and aerobic events strung together like a bead of pearls. I would recomend that you focus more on road work like traiing. Doing a KB or sand bag routine routine combined with running,rope climbing,peg board,tumbeling,calastetics,agility/mobility drill etc.....

Dureing the off season you should be looking at heavy compound movements and Oly. lifts. I did not have KB's back when I was wresteling but I would bet money that a 36,53,88Lbs kettlebell set and maybe a Clubbell or two would basicly take care of almost all aspects of your training. What you might miss out on could be made up with tumbeling and calastetics!You would not belive how much power and endurance heavy one hand snatch's will generate or how much anerobic and aerobic endurance can be built with one and two arm swings!!!!

JohnBrowning

P.S. Excessive tension will tire you out quickly. You only want to hold as much tension in your body as you need. Once you learn how to contract and relax your muscles quickly you will be able to relax those areas that do not need the tension. Tension can make you strong and quick to a point once you pass that threshold it only slows you down.

I took up Judo in college and my instructors were amazed at how well I did with only a few weeks of training under my belt. The experince I gained wresteling had a lot of carry over to Judo. What amazed them most was my ability to stay limber until the second I attacked. When they attacked I was able to often use tension and relaxation combined with some simple foot work to take the energy out of their drive. They told me that it usualy takes people years to learn how to do that.

So my point is that tension can be a friend or a foe and you must learn how to use it. If you are recless with tension it will suck you dry of all of your nerve force!

d1g1talscar

How about...

Getting as strong as I can right now with PTP, and when wrestling practice starts, learn to control the tension that I gained?

JohnBrowning

KBs Can be had more Cheaply from other vendors!

Just be careful what you purchase!!! THe block shaped ones with flat handles are not going to be any good for anything that must flip over your wrist! You can get a three KB set in the classic weights for $209+ $50 shipping and they look and function just like Dragon Door KB's!! I will not tell you where but if you look you can find them!

Free Course