• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

drop snatch-swing snatch

skott

When I do the snatch from a hang it feels like it follows a much smoother path (closer to the body) than when I do it with a swing. I might be swinging too far back or keeping the kettlebell too high during the swing? The drop snatches tire my legs more than the swing snatches.

NarrMaster

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I have noticed this as well. In addition to being smoother, hang(dead) snatches taught me how to properly get my hand under the bell so my forearm isn't crushed. This is due to the fact that the bell can't flip over the arm in a dead snatch unless you move the hand under. My suggestion for the swing snatches is instead of allowing the weight to swing outward, actively pull to keep it near the body. So, at the bottom, you are really pulling up and towards your body. Not an expert, but it has helped me. Good luck.

skott

I'll try it, thank you.
What do you do with your free arm when you do snatches from the ground? If I don't keep it straight and tight toward the body the snatch is horriblely spastic. Do you have any trouble finding a good position for the start of the pull off the ground?

NarrMaster

I keep my free arm out the same as when I do normal (pre-swing)snatches. If you need to keep it close to keep your form good, by all means, do so. When I pull from the ground, the bell is directly between my feet, and my shoulders are in front of the bell slightly, and I generally start pulling with my hips immediately (thrusting the forward), until my back is straight up and down, then follow with a slight shrug. Hope this helps.

Happy Training.

-Derek

P

Pavel Tsatsouline

Com. skott, correct observations. The dead sn works the legs more; the swing -the hi

Com. skott, correct observations. The dead sn works the legs more; the swing -the hips. n/m

Free Course