• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Eat Stop Eat

littlegiant01

She's sometimes a woman of many mysteries and hard to read. Other times, her meaning would be as hard to miss as a two by four to the temple.

I know this is completely off topic, and I apologize. However, I'm not sure if truer words were ever spoken on a husband's perspective into a wife's mind. Jim, you just described my wife exactly in this statement. :D

BChase

I'm starting Eat Stop Eat today. Currently on hour 17 and it's almost lunch time. No headaches, yes my stomach feels empty, but no pangs. Worked out this w/ double 70's 5x5 training as well as 10 TGU's each side. Felt strong, didn't miss the post workout shake. I had coffee this morning before my workout and have been drinking 10oz of water at the top of each hour. I plan on doing it 2x a week. I have some stubborn belly fat leftover from the Christmas season that hasn't been addressed with my current eating habits. Nothing major, just 9 or 10 lbs.

Because it's day one, I'll get through it on adrenaline. Monday after the Super Bowl seems like a logical day 2.

Question: when you hit your goal, do you reduce it back to 1 day or keep it at 2?

jkd1

I'm starting Eat Stop Eat today. Currently on hour 17 and it's almost lunch time. No headaches, yes my stomach feels empty, but no pangs. Worked out this w/ double 70's 5x5 training as well as 10 TGU's each side. Felt strong, didn't miss the post workout shake. I had coffee this morning before my workout and have been drinking 10oz of water at the top of each hour. I plan on doing it 2x a week. I have some stubborn belly fat leftover from the Christmas season that hasn't been addressed with my current eating habits. Nothing major, just 9 or 10 lbs.

Because it's day one, I'll get through it on adrenaline. Monday after the Super Bowl seems like a logical day 2.

Question: when you hit your goal, do you reduce it back to 1 day or keep it at 2?

I'm on my last ten as well... they seem to be the most difficult! IMHO, yes, you can switch to 1 day/week fast after you've made your goal. Then just see how things are going, if you are still losing some weight after going down to 1, do 1 fast every other week.

There's really no hard and fast rule about how often to do an ESE fast after the weight is lost:).

If one burns (via metabolism + movement) more Calories than one ingests the Calories have to come from somewhere - the fat storehouse. When Calories burned are the same as Calories ingested then net fat is neither gained nor lost.

It might be good to consider what's going on every week or so in the fat storehouse and adjust accordingly.

Adjustment does not mean just adjustment via ESE fasts. We also adjust via social pig outs (holidays, Super Bowl, weddings, birthday parties), days where we over eat slightly, days where we under eat slightly, etc. We have many options. We just about have to adjust them all. There are so many social occasions demanding compliance with their over eat rules, giving us many opportunities to balance with fasts and/or days where we eat less than usual.

It's a matter of playing with the variables and doing what works, allowing a great deal of individual flexibility.

ESE is a great tool, but it's not the only tool.

One can fast twice a week and not gain or loss fat or weight, just by keeping the overall Caloric count balanced. Doing two fasts a week in this situation might suit some people for reasons related to hormones, or neurotransmitters, or inflammation, etc. ESE leaves it up to the individual to see how to best apply it in their life.

In a similar vein, one could fast twice a week, using ESE for its health benefits, and simultaneously adjust Caloric balance to favor a needed weight gain.

Jim

BChase

8 days through ESE. I've lost 2.6 lbs. and that was including a super bowl party where I ate everything in sight and had a few adult beverages. Other than that, the other 7 days my diet has been devoid of junk. I have fasted 3 times and have found the fasting pretty easy. On the days I don't do the 24 hour fast, I've been trying to go 15-16 hours between my evening meal and my breakfast. The biggest thing I've noticed is how much easier it is to control the false mental cues of hunger on the days I don't fast. It used to be 5 or 6 hours without a meal throught the day, I thought my eyes would pop out of my head. Now, it's like, no big deal, I'm not going to starve to death.

Workouts have been great, I've noticed no strength loss or weakness, but I always work out on an empty stomach anyway.

It works, you feel better and energized.

Started after Super Bowl Sunday so I guess I'm trendy. 3 weeks and six fasts on, I'm down, lost 8 lbs, dunno about bodyfat but I feel leaner. My air force camos (ABUs) fit better now, staff sergeants no longer giving me s&@" for my ABU top being too tight on my belly. I'm down from 224 to 216 at a height of 6'1". Did my PT test on a fast day and killed it.

Bloodfaya

Hi all,

Thought I'd post my ESE/training plan, followed by a few questions on it...hopefully some of you with ESE experience want to share your opinion?

First some background info:
I'm a male, 32 years old, 6.2 ft tall, weighing 216 pounds with a waist measure of 40.5 inches (widest spot just a bit below the belly button).
I'm currently on the Viking Warrior Conditioning program, where I today nailed 80 sets of 7 snatches on the 15:15 protocol for the fourth time in a row (one more time then I consider myself "owning" that cadence and will do a new cadence test and keep on snatching the #$&@ out of it..
Also, all kettlebell sessions start with 10 minutes of mobility exercises and (currently) 1.5 minutes each of "the plank" and r/l "side plank" for extra core.

So, my ESE + training plan looks as follows:

Monday - "Off day", no training, eating "normally" (healthy and with common sense).

Tuesday - Eating regularly. Doing a VWC session during the evening followed by a post wo protein only shake then start fasting.

Wednesday - Fasting, no training.

Thursday - Go off fasting when I wake up (about 34 hours of fasting whereof almost half of it during sleep), eat normally during the day. 1hr exercise during the afternoon (I attend a group at work where we get to try out all kinds of interval based functional training).

Friday - Eat normally during the day, no exercise. Allow my self a reasonable portion of a nice pasta dish with a glass of red wine or two (a family-thing to highlight the end of the working week and start of the weekend. This "ritual" means a lot to me...)

Saturday - Eat normally, another VWC session some time during the day, start fasting after the last meal.

Sunday - Fasting. Possibly a 40-60 minute strength and/or technique/form practice with the kettlebell. (Going off the fast on Monday morning again, which means about another 34 hours of fasting whereof almost half of it is during sleep.)

I plan to, in about a month or so (the weather is just not really encouraging for it in this part of the world this time of year...), start at least 5 days a week with an about 1.5 mile interval or high tempo run, + will increase the amount of walking/biking for transport purposes with to about 1.5 hours/day.

I know the most common (and by different reasons recommended) is to fast for 24 hours at a time, and plan it so you eat some meal every day..
Though, I can't really see that the way I plan it would be a negative thing?
The reasons I would prefer it this way are:
+ I find it much harder to start fasting after I've already had a meal or two, than to start fasting when going to sleep and just "keep fasting" when I wake up.
+ As my 24 hours is up about before bed time again, it makes more sense to take advantage of the sleep again and get another 8-ish hours of fast than to break it and then go to sleep...

...and as negative effects does not kick in until after about 72 hours my 34-ish hours seems far from risky, plus I interpret the eating every day thing as a recommendation to make the commitment easier rather than a rule(?).

So, my questions are:
1)
What's your opinions about my plan? Does it make sense or am I missing some crucial point e.g. when it comes to the 24 hour recommendation?

2)
I know everyone is different, but based on your own experience of ESE, how much could I expect to loose in say 3-4 months following above plan?
(I don't plan to do ESE for that short time only, I plan to stick to it...but that is the time until the summer starts here and it would be nice to get rid of as much as possible until then ;)
And as I said, I know there is no definite answer to this but I thought it would be fun and interesting to read your guesstimates :)

Sorry for a long post, but thought I should share as much as possible for the best answers..

Cheers!

Bloodfaya

Sounds like you are turning something very simple into something very structured, but hey, maybe it works better for you. As for the 34 hour fast, go for it, I see no reason not to unless you can't handle it. How much weight will you lose, I don't know. I lost 12 lbs in 27 days so far, from 224 down to 212 at a height of 6'1, with a starting waist of 38 1/2 inches.

MI_KB'r

The fasting part of your plan looks ok. Seems like the workout portion is a little much, but its up to you. ESE is very flexible. so, iff the way you shceduled it, works, then go for it. Everyone's body reacts to things differently, so estimating how much you will lose is not possible. A good rule of thumb is to figure 1-2lbs/wk.
Seems to be the healthiest and easiest to maintain. You will see more or less some weeks but just keep with the plan and it will work. Be sure to drink at least several liters of water daily. Other than these few tips good luck.

Bloodfaya

Sounds like you are turning something very simple into something very structured, but hey, maybe it works better for you. As for the 34 hour fast, go for it, I see no reason not to unless you can't handle it. How much weight will you lose, I don't know. I lost 12 lbs in 27 days so far, from 224 down to 212 at a height of 6'1, with a starting waist of 38 1/2 inches.
Thanks for your response! Yes, structure is about the only thing that really works for me right now if I want to get things done with good result. Also I might have described the plan more complicated than I actually find it to be, i.e. the main plan is:
"M: rest, Tu: exercise, W: fast, Th: exercise, F: rest, Sa: exercise, Su: fast".
...the rest is just details ;)
As for the 34 hour fast, I'm doing my second one today and feel great! No problems what so ever, and the only thing that bugs me a little bit is the lack of flavours ;)
Thanks for sharing your progress too, sounds to me like a great progress still within the frames of what's healthy, - Congratulations! :)

Last edited:

Bloodfaya

The fasting part of your plan looks ok. Seems like the workout portion is a little much, but its up to you. ESE is very flexible. so, iff the way you shceduled it, works, then go for it. Everyone's body reacts to things differently, so estimating how much you will lose is not possible. A good rule of thumb is to figure 1-2lbs/wk.
Seems to be the healthiest and easiest to maintain. You will see more or less some weeks but just keep with the plan and it will work. Be sure to drink at least several liters of water daily. Other than these few tips good luck.

I really appreciate you taking your time to read through my plan and give constructive feedback on it, thanks! :)
After trying the plan for a week now, and with the responses I got here, I feel confident in sticking to it. Also knowing the flexibility of ESE makes me not worrying at all about weeks where I have to make modifications to the plan due to whatever reason, I find that flexibility of the main beauties with it :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Zendefone

Hello guys, i have a question about ''Eat Stop Eat''. It mention that it's not a ''diet'', it's just a ''system of eating''. So, does that means any food goes in as long as the fasting rules are followed? Including junk food?

Also, What do you guys think about combining ''Paleo Diet'' with ''Eat Stop Eat''? Is it a good diet for health and performance?

Thanks.

Bloodfaya

Hello guys, i have a question about ''Eat Stop Eat''. It mention that it's not a ''diet'', it's just a ''system of eating''. So, does that means any food goes in as long as the fasting rules are followed? Including junk food?
Eat Stop Eat does not tell you what to eat, only how (and why) to implement intermittent fasting in your life. So the answer to your question is yes, if that is what you want to eat and you eat in moderate, controlled, portions you most probably still would get results.
Also, for the "fasting rules" it is you who set how strict (long/frequent) they need to be accorfing to your own goals.

Also, What do you guys think about combining ''Paleo Diet'' with ''Eat Stop Eat''? Is it a good diet for health and performance?
I can only speak for my self, and my belief is that intermittent fasting is a natural part of a paleo/primal lifestyle. I think this is the conditions we are designed by, and that we have not changed that much since then...what has changed is rather our surroundings in terms of accessability to fast carbs, modified products, created addictions and "needs", different tools that are suposed to "help" us in our daily life etc.
I don't follow a strict paleo choice of foods on my eating days, I would rather see it as I follow common sense according to my own beliefs, where I on a daily basis try to focus on organic and natural rather than modified, try to skip to much starchy stuff, gluten and fast carbs, am not afraid of healthy fatty acids, eat alot of meat and veggies etc....then ofcourse every once in a while when the occation is right I have no problem eating (and enjoying) what I consider being junk (since my common sense also tells me that I do live in 2011, and I do want to enjoy the "good stuff" this age has to offer....but I want to be in control of it rather than being victimized, addicted and run over by it.)

This is a conclution I have come to just lately, and I'm just in the beginning of changing my lifestyle. But I today have a clear picture, or vision, of how I want to live my life.
You need to define your own goals and visions based on your own beliefs (and build your beliefs on information you've gathered and that makes sense to you).

Good luck!

BChase

My update on ESE is I've been doing it for 5 weeks and have fasted 10 times. I'm down 6.8lbs. and have had more than a few social engagements/business lunches during it. I feel great and yesterday worked out 23 hours into my fast. I've lost a little strength, (1 rep doing double 70's clean and military press), but on other exercises I've maintained strength. I have more energy and have as I've stated before, it has really helped control hunger in a big way. That's the key to the whole thing. It teaches you hunger control. what's mental and what's physical.

Zendefone

Eat Stop Eat does not tell you what to eat, only how (and why) to implement intermittent fasting in your life. So the answer to your question is yes, if that is what you want to eat and you eat in moderate, controlled, portions you most probably still would get results.
Also, for the "fasting rules" it is you who set how strict (long/frequent) they need to be accorfing to your own goals.

I can only speak for my self, and my belief is that intermittent fasting is a natural part of a paleo/primal lifestyle. I think this is the conditions we are designed by, and that we have not changed that much since then...what has changed is rather our surroundings in terms of accessability to fast carbs, modified products, created addictions and "needs", different tools that are suposed to "help" us in our daily life etc.
I don't follow a strict paleo choice of foods on my eating days, I would rather see it as I follow common sense according to my own beliefs, where I on a daily basis try to focus on organic and natural rather than modified, try to skip to much starchy stuff, gluten and fast carbs, am not afraid of healthy fatty acids, eat alot of meat and veggies etc....then ofcourse every once in a while when the occation is right I have no problem eating (and enjoying) what I consider being junk (since my common sense also tells me that I do live in 2011, and I do want to enjoy the "good stuff" this age has to offer....but I want to be in control of it rather than being victimized, addicted and run over by it.)

This is a conclution I have come to just lately, and I'm just in the beginning of changing my lifestyle. But I today have a clear picture, or vision, of how I want to live my life.
You need to define your own goals and visions based on your own beliefs (and build your beliefs on information you've gathered and that makes sense to you).

Good luck!
Thanks! That's wonderful information! :)

Thanks.

yeah but be smart and try not to sabotage yourself by junking out when you are off your fast. Eat as if you weren't doing a fasting diet, not loading up to make up for fast time.

UPDATE: 4 1/2 weeks, 10 fasts, down 15 lbs (from 224 to 209). Wife is doing weight watchers so the food in the household has become healthier and lower-calorie in general. DB swings for high, high reps (400-600 reps per workout), as well as 2-hand DB jerks. A fat loss trifecta.

Free Course