• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Even out the alternating grip and other answers for RCH,ironfist et al..

BJones RKC

If you stand in a normal stance - then turn the left palm up and the right palm back - watch what happens - the thumb and index finger of the left hand (which is the focus of your grip) will be an inch or more outside of your right thumb and index finger - because it will turn closer to your body and the left hand will turn away from your body.
The position of the thumb and index finger of each hand needs to equal on the bar.
To correct this you will need to slide the left hand in towards the center of the bar by about an inch.
Experiment around and see what works.
And try the hook grip.

RCH - I am about 5' 8" and 180# - not much dip at the top of the double snatch if at all.

Brett

RCH

Brett...you are a real stud my friend...

I can barbell snatch a little under body weight (5'10 and 95 kg) but the double KB snatch w/ 2poods is a no go. (Best single arm 2 pood = 15 reps) 1.5 pood double snatch is still an adventure.
thanks for sharing. I'll keep working.

Randy

R

rifstonian

Brett, Louie had me move the overgrip out an inch

I lined up the undergrip as close as possible to the smooth then set the overgip an inch off the smooth. He said the line of pull was throug the middle finger and this would line it up so back torque was less and less risk of windmilling at the sticking point.

one also has to be carefull of the wasy the arms hang. my elbows are hypermobile and during external rotation the hands are not directly under the elbow( Pavels are like this too I beleive)but out an a slight angle. It was hard to take a close grip on the dl bar without the elbows bending so I moved the whole position out an inch on each side, still with the overgrip further out.

rif

BJones RKC

So the palm down side.....

Rif,
So he had you move the palm down side (overhand) out an inch instead of moving the palm up side in an inch.

I am not going to argue with Louie - and you are right about the elbows - the "carry" angle of the elbow is different for everyone.

BTW - Do you feel the middle finger is the center of the grip? The bar wants to roll out against the thumb - in my mind that would make it the focus of the grip. ie- when you hook grip you make those first two fingers and thumb the focus of the grip.

Brett

BJones RKC

Rif,
So he had you move the palm down side (overhand) out an inch instead of moving the palm up side in an inch.

I am not going to argue with Louie - and you are right about the elbows - the "carry" angle of the elbow is different for everyone.

BTW - Do you feel the middle finger is the center of the grip? The bar wants to roll out against the thumb - in my mind that would make it the focus of the grip. ie- when you hook grip you make those first two fingers and thumb the focus of the grip.

Brett

BJones RKC

Rif,

Brett

R

rifstonian

As we spoke about on the phone

I think that carry angle has a LOT to do where one experiences the line of pull. when my 25+ deg of carry angle, when I turn the hand palms up the whole hand moves lateally quite a bit.

Plus remember that as a gymnast( most of whom have large carry angles with all the hypermobile elbows)all of the swing stuff on hi bar and rings goes right through the two middle fingers, thats where you wear your grips.the thumb, index and pinky finger are almost stabilizers,except when you are ripping off!LOL!!

if one had a pretty vertical carry angle you WOULD feel the line of pull clsoer to the index/thumb line I bet.thats why I like the double overgrip hook- lets me get my hands closer together- with the mixed grip the palm up hand goes so wide I really have to take my overgrip hand out to keep the elbows straight.

and hey, Louie was wrong about a lot of things for me. try trying to squat without using your quads!

PS loved the rough cut of the KB Basic Video. wait til people get their hands on this!Its a winner.

rif

ps Mike Castro is a freak.

cata9tale

how about carrying stuff

When I carry loads with a mixed grip, the arm pointing in the direction of travel is underhand. The other hand is overhand and much closer to the body, almost, if not right up against my side. Are there an potential health threats to the spine when carrying something this way.

Input appreciated, thanx, Tim

MikeTheBear

Brett, I thought you were taller.

Guess I have someone to compare myself to now. Wait, you're stronger, and I'm fatter. :)

On a serious note, will the DL accept new members each year? I ask because I won't make the cut this time around (BW > 198, but DL < 500), but I will be focusing on improving my DL strength so perhaps next time around.

BJones RKC

Tim, not sure I understand...

Are you doing a Farmers walk with the bar?

If so not the best way to carry a load - dumbells, kettlebells and/or farmers walks implements will be best.

Or is this work related?

Post me back on the top of the list.

Brett

BJones RKC

Mike....

Nope - still 5'8" - No worries

The PTP DL team - which we will have details on soon - could be a yearly thing - we will see how the first season comes out.

Keep us posted on what you are doing to increase your DL.

Brett

Free Course