• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Everything RKC

O

oilerlover

I have a blog about the RKC system of kettlebell training. It is packed full of articles and workouts from RKC instructors and is a wealth of knowledge for all who are interested in kettlebell training!

blue tengu

I like it, but is there any original content there? It looks like it's all been copy/pasted wholesale from other authors.

O

oilerlover

That is exactly the way I want it to be! I want to promote the RKC and the RKC instructors who contribute really great information all in one place! My aim in my blog is not self promotion but the promotion of the RKC system of training!

AndrewR

Given you've got content on there from other websites I'm assuming you've actually asked all the contributors and the websites concerned that using their content is ok?

I understand your passion, but using me as an example, the content on there from Breaking Muscle belongs to Breaking Muscle. I don't think you've asked me about content sharing, but I could be wrong as I get a few of those emails a month. I am ok with you using that material provided you ask the editor at Breaking Muscle directly as well as provide both author links back to my site as well as theirs. At the very least each author should get a a space provided at the end of each article where their credentials are listed in whatever manner they choose which will usually contain key words for their business as well as links back to them, much like the one for Dan John, who for some reason is the only I can find you've actually done this for.

Just because it's free to view on the site doesn't mean it's free to use. There are still some considerations that need to be adhered to.

O

oilerlover

In all cases I post who the article is by and ask permission to use the articles. I also post their credentials and post a link back to the original article in my post.

AndrewR

Again, I could be wrong but I can't recall ever being asked by you to repost my work. There's also no back links to my website. While there is a link to my author page on Breaking Muscle you also need to provide author info and you've never asked me for what i would like it to contain.

I'm not the only one who is not happy about this BTW as I've got a conversation going on privately on FB with another person whose articles you've also used without permission saying exactly the same thing. If you've spoken with the editor at Breaking Muscle then please provide me privately with confirmation of that. You also need to email me so I can give you the wording for what needs to be posted under my articles. I also note that in some articles you've removed my affiliate links from mentions of books and products and they'll need to be replaced too.

Perlenbacher

Hi!
I think you have a very nice blog oilerlover. For people like me who are "semi-interested" in RKC it is a good way to find info on what is going on, new publications etc (it is very rarely that I, for example, read through the DD catalogue on books).
As for original stuff, I think there has been some good news updates that are original.
Have a good weekend!

O

oilerlover

Thanks for the heads up Andrew! I am very new to this blogging thing! I appreciate the advice and it is not my intention at all to upset anyone or take away any credit from the original author. I am just trying to promote these individuals by giving them more exposure! I hope that it is appreciated. I do not want to offend anyone, if that was the case wouldn't I just take full credit for writing these articles myself? I always mention who the articles are authored by and post links back to the original blog post.

AndrewR

You're not listening. There is a right and a wrong way to content share. I've never been asked if it was ok to share these articles by my editor, or as much as I can see by searching my email history, you either. That's not cool. I have said what you need to do and I'll wait for your email so I can send you the information that you'll need to add at the bottom of all my articles as well as links. You'll need to show confirmation from Breaking Muscle that they've ok'd the reposting of these articles too as they belong to them. Otherwise they'll need to be removed.

The alternative would be to pay me to write content for you, like Breaking Muscle do, and I'll happily provide fresh original content just for your site.

O

oilerlover

I will send an email to Breaking Muscle to see if it is ok to repost the articles and if I get the ok to do so, I will email you for sure. Thanks again.

AndrewR

So you never actually asked for permission despite claiming to have done so?

Please remove all my articles from your site immediately until permission via Breaking Muscle and myself is given.

Not cool.

O

oilerlover

I sent you an email quite a few months ago asking permission, It was my mistake for not contacting Breaking Muscle as I did not know at the time that you wrote for them. My apologies. I did ask you for permission months ago though. I have removed all your articles from my blog as you requested. Sorry if I offended you in any way. You and Adrienne Harvey sure seem to have a problem with my blog so I have deleted your articles as requested. I apologize again, it was never my intention to upset anyone.

AndrewR

How can you possibly have taken articles from their site and not realised I wrote for them?

And you're absolutely right we have a problem with people content sharing. Firstly, I get paid to write so using my content to drive traffic to your site is essentially taking money from me. If you want my writing then pay for it like everyone else. I still can't find a record of a single email from you asking permission nor my reply, but I do work from two computers so it may be on the other one. If I ever gave permission it would be to articles on my blog, never to BM articles without my boss' permission. Secondly, replicating content from one site to another hurts search engine rankings. Given BM pay for my articles that means to an extent that some of their money has been wasted - have you offered them any kind of collateral in return? Third, as I alluded to before there is a right way and a wrong way to go about doing it. The path you took was the wrong way.

As for doing it to give people more exposure - BM has 500,000 readers a month. Is your blog getting more than that?

If you think I'm mad, and Adrienne too, you're right. This is totally uncool and it IS a big deal.

You'll still need to seek permission from Breaking Muscle for all the other articles on there that are from their site, as well as the authors themselves.

Last edited:
O

oilerlover

All I can say is I have good intentions. I will continue to read you and Adrienne's great articles, but I will no longer post them on my blog because I don't want to make you or her upset any longer. Thanks for the awesome articles and all the best to you and to her!

vegabros

@AndrewR: I understand your concerns. But this could have been handled privately (through e-mail or private message).

There was no need to make this public. You are only hurting your reputation and oiler's. Some people who don't know the legalities so well might see you as coming off as rude and that cannot in any way attract people to you or your articles. Second, you are making Oiler come off as a thief and questioning his intellect in public.

Oiler's intentions seem to have been pure (must give people the benefit of the doubt). There was no need for all of this. He already apologized and said he would remove the articles. I don't think you or BM lost any considerable money at the moment. I think if anything, your comments lost you more money than his blog.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

AndrewR

Scott had previously been contacted by one of the other authors privately and it did no good.

Next time someone takes something of yours without asking, for their own benefit, please let me know how you feel about that.

vegabros

I said I understand how you feel. But what's the point of doing this in a public forum? It's not like anyone here can do something.

I'm just saying, you could be harming your reputation in the process of taking back what's yours. Didn't mean to put you down or insult you.

I don't tolerate injustice neither. Just have to be careful how you handle it. You could have contacted BM directly and reported the incident if necessary.

ALee

Seconded to Andrew, the response when approached privately was, as here, that he didn't mean to offend, and would just remove their content. Not stop what he was doing.

The problem with this is that it is not about feelings. It is about watering down the traffic to a site that puts food on the table for many of these professionals. Traffic to articles is tracked, affiliate links are placed in articles to generate revenue.. if that traffic look low, perhaps because the content has been reposted to high heaven, these contributors may not be asked back. And simply, less people will click on links and they will lose money overall.

Now I understand no one likes to talk about money, but it does pay the bills.

The internet can be confusing as far as who owns content and who doesn't, but truly, when in doubt, ASK. You don't cut articles out of magazines and newspapers to make your own magazine, don't do the same to professionals you say you admire.

I would suggest, if oiler loves the RKC so much, that he go, get his HKC or RKC, and contribute his own original content. Original content that is, despite an earlier comment, sorely lacking on his site. Review books for us, tell us what you think of the Pavel situation instead of just reprinting his statement, tell us why you loved Tracy''s latest workout AND LINK TO IT, don't just print it out verbatim.

That's showing your love, what's there now? Is known as scraping, or in common terms, stealing.

Free Course