• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

For u crossfit ppl....

kbpaul

When outcomes to Burpees, what is a good number to hit in a set time? Like, do I see how many I can do in 10 min.? And what is a good amount?

cdybeijing

I consider myself to be of average fitness levels for this forum - I used to do about 100 burpees (crossfit style) in just over 8 minutes.

BChase

I think my best was at the end of a workout, I did 38 in 2 minutes. Wasn't fun.
I've seen on crossfit, there are people who do the burpee mile. Why, I have no idea.

2 good ways to implement burpees and swings are
Alternate 10 two hand swings, 1 burpee, 10 swings 2 burpees, etc. work up to 10 burpees. Try to do it with little or no rest.

Also, the 300 workout with a kettlebell, in the middle you have to do 50 burpees. To me, this is always the Waterloo of it.

Danny Evans

The first part of a ‘proper’ Burpee, is a full Squat, which 90% of people doing them, don’t actually do; then you plank out, then reverse the plank; as you go to stand back up, this portion of the exercise should originate from the bottom of a full squat.

If you do a proper Burpee, the pace will be dictated by the use of proper form.

Everyone seems to have the mentality of trying to cram as many shitty reps (Burpee, Squat-Thrust) as possible, into ‘x’ amount of time. Why?

Just focus on proper technique, and do them at a respectable pace, and don’t worry about how long it takes. Quality reps should be the priority, but these days, quality doesn’t seem to be too popular.

I'm scared to ask....but what is a CF Burpee?

Last edited:

kbpaul

When I said CF, I was asking the CF ppl because I know that they do a lot of Burpees & they have some kind of test to get a feel for the shape they are in. But, I DO understand why you are asking this...... The way the do their pull ups is very bullistic and very different than, say the Convict Conditioning way.

DLS

The way the do their pull ups is very bullistic and very different than, say the Convict Conditioning way.

Some of the reason for the differences is that cross fit is a sporting event as well as a training methodology ... things like CC are just designed for just training.

Danny Evans

I thought we were talking about Burpee’s?
What’s unfortunate is that with the popularity of Cult-Fit, some people now think that the Kipping Pull Up is the only ‘proper’ way to do a pullup. Sad.
The bottom line is there’s a right & wrong way of doingthings. The “CC way” is the proper way.(meaning, it’s developed using proper mechanics, so you benefit from the exercises, and minimize/avoid injury). I guess being eelite and competing, makes it ok to use bad form.
Thanks, but I’ll stick to just training. After all… training is what allows one to compete in the first place…and if your training is based on shitty form, well…

Last edited:

DLS

Hi Danny,

I have to respectfully disagree with your sentiments, especially pertaining to "right and wrong ways of doing things".

I too use "proper" form when training and I use "proper" form in competing ... and they are many times very different. A few examples if I may:

In my football days, when I practice tackling I used precise, picture perfect form ... pretty much every time (I had excellent coaching, they didn't let us slack off). In a game I used whatever form necessary to actually put the RB on the ground. Rarely was it even close to textbook "perfect" form. But it worked where "perfect" training form would have made me look like a dolt and allowed the runner extra yardage.

After college when training with the Marines, I again used "proper" training form. For example my pull-ups were dead hang, no swing affairs. Trying to count anything less was dishonorable. When I was later "competing" (in other words getting my arse shot at by people who really didn't much like me ) the "proper" form to pull my body upward was what ever got me over the wall and behind cover in the shortest amount of time. If I kipped or swung so be it!

Now when I coach my players in the mechanics of throwing a baseball, and have them train their throws in practice the vast amount of time we focus on perfect mechanics. But ... and this is an important but ... we do spend some time (especially w/ the middle infielders) having the players "short-stroke" throw. Why practice s****y form? Because on a deeply hit grounder, the shortstop will rarely make the throw to first for the out if he uses "proper" form. He needs to speed up the delivery of the ball.

Cross-fit types have different goals than pure strength types and will use different mechanics to achieve those goals. They kip on pull-ups because their performance requirements have an element of elapsed time. It's not a pure strength / pure gaining strength endeavor.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Danny Evans

I understand your points, and don’t disagree with them.

What’s lame is when some douchebag films his workout, claimingthat he did 100 burpees in ___ minutes. When you see the footage, what they’reactually doing is half-reps, since they are not squatting down all the way,before going into the plank. Problem is, this isn’t a rare thing…it seems to bethe norm. When you see some of these guys doing ‘pull ups’ you simply have tolaugh, because their ROM is just plain ridiculous. The point is you’re cheatingyourself. When it comes to personal fitness, why would you want to cheat yourself?My theory is that people like this are more concerned with feeding their ego, by‘claiming’ to do these exaggerated numbers, rather than doing honest reps.

Of all the video clips I’ve seen of people doing Burpees orSquat-thrusts, at least 80% of the reps were crap, since they were moreconcerned with doing more, instead ofdoing quality, proper reps.

Oh well, their loss.

The example of the ‘short-stroke’ throw; it seems to be a necessary variation, whichis an accepted part of the game, and that makes sense. Doing half-assed reps inyour personal fitness workouts does not.

Respectfully,

DLS

I think we are pretty much on the same page based on your last posting!

I agree using "half-assed reps inyour personal fitness workouts" is a problem, and if some think they are doing it correctly you are spot on ... they are not getting the full benefit of the workout, chancing injury and just plain fooling themselves. I would suspect most of those with the form you mention are in the "fooled themselves" category, not the "ego" category. I could be wrong ... I only know two serious cross-fit types.

If I were to try cross-fit competition (that's a laugh considering my age, history etc.) I would train like my friends, that is doing most of my work to form ... milking every bit of benefit I could. I would also be doing some practice in the fashion used in the event (say kipping in a pull-up). You do need to practice like you play at least some of the time.

Thanks for your response ... it's enjoyable to thrash around in topics like this.

Cheers.

cdybeijing

Hi Danny,

Unfortunately I think your attitude towards Crossfit is doing more harm than good despite its merit.

A Crossfit burpee is marked by two endpoints: chest to ground (indicated by lifting the hands off the ground at bottom) and full 180 degree hip extension with hands completely overhead and feet off the ground at top. How you get from A to B is irrelevant as it is their competition standard designed for judging ease and range of motion.

It's quite different than your "real" burpee, certainly a challenging exercise! Perhaps using the term burpee to describe the Crossfit standard is euphemistic and requires something akin to "two hands anyhow" insofar as that relates to the clean and jerk.

Danny Evans

Hey, I simply call it as I see it. Something that popular (CF) should be raising the bar, in terms of safety & standards, but what you see is just the opposite.

The sad part is that the legit CF gyms, get dragged into the pool with all of the bad ones, and have to fight the negative stigma that they've aquired.

speaker

I understand your points, and don’t disagree with them.

What’s lame is when some douchebag films his workout, claimingthat he did 100 burpees in ___ minutes. When you see the footage, what they’reactually doing is half-reps, since they are not squatting down all the way,before going into the plank. Problem is, this isn’t a rare thing…it seems to bethe norm. When you see some of these guys doing ‘pull ups’ you simply have tolaugh, because their ROM is just plain ridiculous. The point is you’re cheatingyourself. When it comes to personal fitness, why would you want to cheat yourself?My theory is that people like this are more concerned with feeding their ego, by‘claiming’ to do these exaggerated numbers, rather than doing honest reps.

Of all the video clips I’ve seen of people doing Burpees orSquat-thrusts, at least 80% of the reps were crap, since they were moreconcerned with doing more, instead ofdoing quality, proper reps.

Oh well, their loss.

The example of the ‘short-stroke’ throw; it seems to be a necessary variation, whichis an accepted part of the game, and that makes sense. Doing half-assed reps inyour personal fitness workouts does not.

Respectfully,

Danny,

You make strong points. I see the other side but do not necessarily agree. I feel it's best to train correctly and then have to improvise if needed. I played third base and true, some throws were done far from optimal. But, they were much easier to complete due to my being honed in the basics. Easier to adapt that way in my opinion.

truckie16

I think they are two different exercises. One being a burpee, from a standing position drop to floor so your chest makes contact then spring back up jumping off the ground and clapping your hands above your head or touching an object about 6 inches above your straightened arm. The other a push up to squat thrust or plank to squat thrust. Same starting point, squat down go into plank either do a pushup or not, back into squat, fully open hips. You can add a jump or not.
Very similar but not the same exercise IMO. One a ballistic, the other much slower and quite a bit safer
Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JSStevensRKC

Hi Danny,

A Crossfit burpee is marked by two endpoints: chest to ground (indicated by lifting the hands off the ground at bottom) and full 180 degree hip extension with hands completely overhead and feet off the ground at top. How you get from A to B is irrelevant as it is their competition standard designed for judging ease and range of motion.

How you get from point A to point B will never be irrelevant on this forum.

The RKC recognizes that there is more to strength training than simply moving your body or a weight from point A to point B. Strength, Safety and Technique and inseparable. The RKC will always choose quality of movement over quantity.

This is why we're here.

Last edited:

kbpaul

OK, well, I got to 100 Burpees in 9 min. flat! Im not sure if that's good or not, but, I was spent, wasted, I mean, the gas tank was empty! LOL I rested for about 12 min then attempted to jog. That lasted about a mile & i started walking home depressed.

jiminbama

Don't understand the dislike of Cross Fit. I mean I get that they don't do Hardstyle, and CC pull-ups or pushups. It's like the Catholic's and Protestant's in Northern Ireland; they both have the same God, the same Jesus, and the same goal of joining them in Heaven. The problem is they criticize/condemn the way the other practices, or exercise their religion. Differences that have lead to fighting and death.

After watching the cross fit competition, I have a hard time criticizing their strength or conditioning. At least there is a portion of the population that is exercising and that is a good thing.

Concerning form; In my own workouts I try to maintain proper form for swings, snatches, presses, etc..., and stop or rest when it starts to deteriorate too badly. How many of us have "perfect form" to begin with , let alone when we start to tire but want to finish a workout. I know my form changes some towards the end of a VWC workout.

In the RKC test of 100 snatches in 5 min. I have heard there can be different forms, because it is a prerequisite to train and become an RKC. You can flip the bell over the top hard style or flip it around wrist more like GS. I believe elbow has to be locked and arm behind ear for rep to count. I don't think they discount a rep if you "squat" the swing or round your back or make other form errors. Somewhat Point A to Point B.

Try to do, what you like to do, the best you can. What's it matter what or how some Cross Fit person does what they do?

Free Course