• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Frequently Asked Questions MEGATHREAD

eltriplesix

Kettlebell swings

I read on one of the posts on this site something about Pavel stating that there was a way to combine Power to the people and kettle bell swings . Either way I think conditioning well on the power to the people work out is a good question and power to the people is all ready a great way to get people addicted to the barbell (like me) one step closer to kettle bells. An easy accessible idea of how to incorporate swings into power to the people would bring them in that much farther. Also I think conditioning is the one near down side I can see to an other wise simple step by step outline to greatness.

So conditioning well on power to the people and even better swings well on power to the people would be amazing

Ideal Paradigm

Dr. MC Schaeffer (I believe that's the name) posted about the VO2max protocol on her blog as well as refined getup.

Alright, I updated the original post with those two links and placed it where, I believe, makes the most sense. Thank you for contributing, Comrade Josef.

I read on one of the posts on this site something about Pavel stating that there was a way to combine Power to the people and kettle bell swings.

So conditioning well on power to the people and even better swings well on power to the people would be amazing

I've never done a PTTP cycle, and I do not own the book or the DVD. I don't know how you would combine to two. If you would be willing to find a link, or an article on it, and then post it here, I would be glad to update the original post.

Don't believe this was covered yet: what to do after accomplishing ROP.

I have no idea what to do after accomplishing the ROP. Someone will have to chime in on that. Since I have not finished the ROP, I have not asked about this matter.

Wild Pegasus

1. What is GTG?

Read Naked Warrior.

"Grease the groove", a system of training for strength without burning out. The gist is to do a lot of sets of reps well short of your maximum throughout the day. For example, if you can do 8 pull-ups, throwing everything you have into them, your sets should be 3-5 reps throughout the day. Don't work to exhaustion. Don't even get close. Every so often take a whole day off, then test your new maximum. Works well with pull-ups and one-legged squats.

2. What are ladders?

Ladders are another method of training for strength without burn-out. You do a rep, take a short rest, do two reps, take a short rest, etc. until you reach a number well short of your maximum. Then you stop, take a longer rest, then start again at 1. For example, using 8 pull-ups as your maximum, you would do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 with short rests in-between, then a longer rest afterwards. Generally, the rest between rungs of the ladder should be about how long it would take a training partner to do the rung after you. The rest between ladders depends on your goals: very short for muscle-building and pump, very long for GTG-style practice. Works well with one-arm presses with a DB or KB, also with pull-ups.

3. Who is Pavel Tsatsouline?

Pavel is a physical trainer and consultant to various US agencies on strength, conditioning, and combat. He is a native of the Soviet Union and worked with Soviet special forces before the fall of communism. He emigrated to America, taking his knowledge of kettlebells and Russian/Soviet powerlifting training with him.

4. What is Hardstyle?

Hardstyle is a catch-all term for training with Dragon Door products. Very very generally, it boils down to reverse-engineering the techniques that the masters do unconsciously, then compiling and explaining those techniques in plain language. Such techniques include: compound movements, appropriate timing of body tension, power breathing, not training to failure or exhaustion, strength as practice, doing fewer things better, etc. Hardstyle is more than just kettlebell training.

5. Why are kettlebells so expensive?

They're solid chunks of iron, filed and polished so that you can grab them without tearing your skin. That takes work.

6. Why kettlebells? Why not dumbbells?

If you have dumbbells and like them, use them. There's nothing wrong with the DB clean and press or snatch or swing.

Ideal Paradigm

Thanks, Comrade Wild Pegasus, I have added your information to the fourth post (I couldn't get it on the first post, I was over the character limit for a post).

scoundrel

Great Idea

Just a few more for your consideration:

1. It seems like the Fighter Pull-up Program gets mentioned periodically:

https://500230143759542337-a-180274...qCyp2sxaLD1jOd4orF80E_hMg1riq8i_xaf-4yZnucA==

2. With the MVO2 being the new 'rage' and torn calasus seeming to be a more frequent occurance the following information may be usefull.

Rifs Blog: How to tape your hands.

3. Old Hardstyles hold a treasure trove of information, especially the 'Fast Tens' program in the Winter 2005 issue.

Those can be found here at DD, or a Brad Nelson's site.

Kinetic Edge Performance – Articles

Just my 2 cents.

Ideal Paradigm

Just a few more for your consideration:

1. It seems like the Fighter Pull-up Program gets mentioned periodically:

https://500230143759542337-a-180274...qCyp2sxaLD1jOd4orF80E_hMg1riq8i_xaf-4yZnucA==

2. With the MVO2 being the new 'rage' and torn calasus seeming to be a more frequent occurance the following information may be usefull.

Rifs Blog: How to tape your hands.

3. Old Hardstyles hold a treasure trove of information, especially the 'Fast Tens' program in the Winter 2005 issue.

Those can be found here at DD, or a Brad Nelson's site.

Kinetic Edge Performance – Articles

Just my 2 cents.

I just added all three of your recommendations, they come up quite often. Thank you for your contribution. Especially the Kinetic Edge Performance Articles, I was looking for Older Versions of HardStyle myself.

Al-uk

Can I add the following FAQ.

Q. I have completed (1,2,3,4,5)x5 Clean and Press with X kettlebell but I (A) cannot press the next size KB or (B) cannot press the next size KB for 5 reps yet.

A. Add more ladders, include overload press on you second variety days.

Please add more.

Cheers,

Al

Ideal Paradigm

Can I add the following FAQ.

Q. I have completed (1,2,3,4,5)x5 Clean and Press with X kettlebell but I (A) cannot press the next size KB or (B) cannot press the next size KB for 5 reps yet.

A. Add more ladders, include overload press on you second variety days.

Please add more.

Cheers,

Al

Alright, I added it to the FAQ, thank you. That is something good to bring up.

Also, everybody, if you enjoy the thread, please rate it. Thanks!

Matt Mendes

Which of Pavel's stretching books should I get?
I don''t know the answer myself but I think it would be good for someone to answer it and put it in the thread.

journeyman

Can I change x in program y?

By virtue of your asking the question, the answer is no.

Or perhaps, if you have specific needs/wants, you could try out your idea and see whether it works for you. In ETK for example Pavel has you skip one arm pushups on the variety days if you're doing NW at the same time as the RoP/PM. But some people have a fast recovery time and maybe they could do it.Or maybe they just want to be good at one arm pushups.

Another example: swings, getups and snatches are awesome. But I have other STGs other than general fitness, etc: 5 perfect one arm pushups each arm, 20 consecutive pullups, 50 consecutive perfect form pushups, 20 consecutive pistols each leg. So I've added to the base program, and I've got a good program tailored specifically to me, that works for me. I'm not overtraining either.

Just wanted to say that. I haven't had any questions which is why I didn't register earlier. I might log on from time to time to post PRs, fervent thanks to Pavel, etc.
What do the experts think?

Dermanus

The main reasoning behind that rule is that inexperienced people shouldn't be trying to design programs. If you have to ask whether or not it's ok to change a certain thing, you probably don't know enough to be making changes. Or as Pavel puts it (ETK, pg 161) "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can’t afford it."

Ideal Paradigm

Update (April 21, 2009): I have moved the majority of 0311bravo's videos to another post further down because he added his Double Kettlebell Work video today. I couldn't add it to where it was originally because I was exceeding the character limit for the initial post. I hope that doesn't mess up anything in terms of organization.

I would also like to add that I'm glad that the views on this FAQ are going to be exceeding 3000 soon, meaning that people have been continually looking at this FAQ.

As always, if you have additional suggestions, please include them, thanks.

jbenton1

I enjoyed the reading and advice I get from different people on the subject of the different muscle hypertrophial effects on different muscles ( heart / body ), but I think it would be more beneficial to put it all in one place for instant accessibility. I find it takes a long time to find the advice I and many people want and need to have. So I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread in the mega thread for hypertrophy.

Ideal Paradigm

I enjoyed the reading and advice I get from different people on the subject of the different muscle hypertrophial effects on different muscles ( heart / body ), but I think it would be more beneficial to put it all in one place for instant accessibility. I find it takes a long time to find the advice I and many people want and need to have. So I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread in the mega thread for hypertrophy.

This would be a great idea, I see many people on this forum ask about hypertrophy based training. However, as hypertrophy is not my primary goal, I am not well versed in the websites, resources, etc. on hypertrophy based training.

If you would like to provide some links that are unbiased, and have great training results, feel free to come back in here and post, and I will dedicate one of the posts above to Hypertrophy based strength training. However, I would like to advise that the Party probably would not like seeing something like a Muscle & Fitness type post. Keep us posted on your idea (pun intended).

Tom Gordon

Excellent Thread!

Haven't been on the Forum for a while. I'm glad I logged on today. I will bookmark this thread for future reference. Nice work, Comrade!

Ideal Paradigm

I have a question, what does GS training mean?

It means Girevoy Sport. It is the sport of specifically training with Kettlebells. From what I know, it involves using the most energy conserving methods to get the most reps for an exercise, such as the Jerk. Repetitions in this sport go extremely high, and the training is different than the Hard Style method of training.

I will add GS to the abbreviations list in the first post, as well as HS for hard style, thank you for bringing that up.

If you need more info, Google will give you a general idea of what it is about.

Free Course