• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Frequently Asked Questions MEGATHREAD

avilezj

People in forums use the acronym OP to refer to the person who started the thread. What does it really stand for??

Ideal Paradigm

People in forums use the acronym OP to refer to the person who started the thread. What does it really stand for??

Original Poster/Original Post.

Ex. # 1: I wasn't responding to the post above, I was responding to the OP.

Ex. # 2: Anyways, getting back on topic, I was talking to the OP about...

avilezj

Some abbreviations:
RIS - Relax into Stretch
OAPU - (it also stands as "One arm PUSH up")
DD - Dragon Door
HTT - High Tension Techniques
HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training
HKC - ???

Last edited:

Ideal Paradigm

Some abbreviations:
RIS - Relax into Stretch
OAPU - (it also stands as "One arm PUSH up")
DD - Dragon Door
HTT - High Tension Techniques
HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training
HKC - ???

I'll play with adding those abbreviations into the first post, but I'm having consistent trouble with it due to the 10000 character limit on it, and I'm trying to organize the posts so that they make sense/have their own categories.

Edit:

I just edited the majority of the first portion of the first post. All of the abbreviations are now alphabetized, and I added in your abbreviations. I changed OAP to mean One Arm Pullup and OAPU to mean One Arm Push Up. I thought I had typed OAP for One Arm Pullup previously, but apprently this was not the case. At any rate, I made OAP/OAPU interchangeable, and thus interpretable in both ways in the post.

By the way, HKC is the new one-day Kettlebell certification that Dragon Door brought out for people who wanted to do that instead of the full three-day weekend. It stands for Hardstyle Kettlebell Certification.

Edit 2: To everyone else on the forum, if you think the FAQ needs to be re-arranged to make it more organized, please let me know. I just feel like the first post (bottom portion) could use some work, I just don't really have an idea of how to organize it. Some of you have a knack for these sort of things and see how the FAQ could be rearranged to be more newbie friendly, please shoot me a message.

Last edited:

Ideal Paradigm

Update on 11 August 2009:

1. Swing Cheat Sheet added to the first post.
2. Fat loss moved to the fifth post, including adding threads about nutrition from Dr. MC Schraefel.
3. Quotes changed to show due credit.
4. All posts subtitled with their general content in larger text for user-friendliness.

NonStop

Shouldn't you explain the abbreviations of USST and SSST (they can be confusing as in ETK its implied USST is 24kg snatches but it has come to be used for 32kg snatches).

Also, you say the best place to start is ETK. Shouldn't the question be rephrased to what is the best place to start for kettlebells?

Ideal Paradigm

Some definitions you want to add:
Density
Intensity
Volume

I'll add those in.

Shouldn't you explain the abbreviations of USST and SSST (they can be confusing as in ETK its implied USST is 24kg snatches but it has come to be used for 32kg snatches).

I didn't know that. Whenever someone says USST or SSST, I usually think of the 24KG first, and even then, people now usually specify with which weight they are using.

NonStop said:
Also, you say the best place to start is ETK. Shouldn't the question be rephrased to what is the best place to start for kettlebells?

As this is a Kettlebell centered forum, with a few exceptions (NW & PTTP, etc.) I thought it would be automatically implied. If you look at all of the threads where newbies ask where they should start (they don't specify with what), the answer is almost always ETK, not NW nor PTTP.

Ideal Paradigm

Some definitions you want to add:
Density
Intensity
Volume

Just added all of these, used the Density definition from ETK, as for Intensity and Volume, I used what (I think) is the common definition for them.

If anyone think those need to be redefined, please let me know. Thanks.

NonStop

I'll add those in.

I didn't know that. Whenever someone says USST or SSST, I usually think of the 24KG first, and even then, people now usually specify with which weight they are using.

As this is a Kettlebell centered forum, with a few exceptions (NW & PTTP, etc.) I thought it would be automatically implied. If you look at all of the threads where newbies ask where they should start (they don't specify with what), the answer is almost always ETK, not NW nor PTTP.

Well, when I made a thread and called it the USST, many people were very confused.

Hmm, well, I think of this as a kettlebell enthusiastic forum, but not necessarily centered. I personally would just quote what Pavel says on his site:

Which strength book or tape should I get?

If you ‘just want to be strong’, get Power to the People!. Comrades who have no access to weights need The Naked Warrior. For a total package of killer strength, conditioning, and fat loss get Enter the Kettlebell!! (or From Russia with Tough Love for Comrades ladies).

Which stretching book or tape should I get?

If extreme flexibility such as suspended splits is your goal, Relax into Stretch is for you. If your sport does not require that you tie yourself into pretzels and you want what Brazilian Jiu Jutsu World Champion Steve Maxwell called “a kind of flowing mobility that allowed me…to move smoothly and comfortably from position to position, out of bad spots and into good ones”, get Super Joints.

gareth3001

Traveling with a Kettlebell on an Airplane:

There have been varied reports of people doing so. There have also been members on the forum in the past who were denied their request. Update (May 14, 2009): I asked a TSA supervisor today specifically, while I was at the airport. If you are flying in the United States, a Kettlebell is considered a bludgeon, and thus cannot be brought on the plane.

As for flying with a Kettlebell in other countries, I cannot answer that, maybe someone in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and South America can comment on that.

Quick question for some clarification on airplane travel with Kettlebells. Does this apply to carry-on baggage only, or checked luggage as well? I'm traveling from the US to Australia later this month, and would like to bring a Kettlebell with me. I can understand not allowing a Kettlebell in the cabin of the plane, but not allowing it at all seems a bit extreme.

Ideal Paradigm

Quick question for some clarification on airplane travel with Kettlebells. Does this apply to carry-on baggage only, or checked luggage as well? I'm traveling from the US to Australia later this month, and would like to bring a Kettlebell with me. I can understand not allowing a Kettlebell in the cabin of the plane, but not allowing it at all seems a bit extreme.

It applies to carry on only. You can't really bludgeon someone with a Kettlebell if it's in the cargo bay of the plane.

mhanch

I would figure you could get an old Bowling Ball bag on ebay for checkin, and they wouldn't bat an eye. Just make sure they hang the "heavy" tag on it.

Free Course