• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Going to a seminar tonight about the dangers of high protien diets. What should I ask

jacob360

What kind of questions should I ask? I welcome suggestions fron both those that are for and those that are against low carb diets. Thanks.

PEACE

diamond

I would be interested to know what they consider a healthy daily intake of protein and would that intake change according to activity level? Also, what do they consider to be "High Protein?" What macronutrient profile do they recommend (40-30-30 etc.)

My employer had some nutritionists from our local hospital come in and give a similar speach. They targeted the ketogenic diets more than anything, I didn't stay for very much of it because I didn't care to hear what they had to say.

Nick Radonjic

The base(s) of their opinions and if they have affiliations with either. . .

The AMA, any pharmaceutical company, their curriculum vitaes, what makes them experts, the length of time in the field of nutrition, etc. And also if they're referring to individuals who have a healthy renal function prior to commencing a hgih protein diet. (JUst to name a few topics of my interest).

jacob360

This seminar is sponsored by a local hospital.

I'm just curious about what they have to say, but I'm willing to bet its going to be about ketosis and recommending the low-fat high-carb type diet.

PEACE

Gene

I'd ask...

1) List of research which supports their positions.

2) Do "hazards" include long term versus short term use, modes of food preparation. and other conditions (As Nick said, kidney disease).

Keep in mind that they may not have time to answer every question during the seminar. Make time afterwards and present your case. Do not use the magic work "Atkins".

Gene

Garm

Re: Ask about this center for science in the public interest article

link belowCarbo-Phobia

Tyler23

Please give a full report tomorrow on what you heard. I'm guessing they're just going to regurgitate the 'ol Food Pyramid rhetoric.

jacob360

I didn't even ask any questions. There really was no point, she couldn't have answere

Her ideal was pretty much like the food pyramid:
12-15% protein
55-65% carbs
less than 30% fat

She warned that ketosis should be avoided at all costs. I should have at least pointed out that everyone is in ketosis in the morning after not having eaten all night. She said liver damage was a slight risk, but kidney damage was highly likely due to overstressing.

A woman who was there said she had a friend that had lost a significant amount of weight on the Atkins diet, and that his cholesterol had dropped dramatically. The dietician said it was because of the weight loss, but wasn't able to adequately explain how that works.

Basically, nothing I hadn't heard, nothing I didn't expect. At least she suggested cutting out sugar, white flour, and processed foods.

PEACE

Konstantin16

Re: I didn't even ask any questions. There really was no point, she couldn't have ans

Personally, I would have thrown her a question or two that she couldn't answer just to make her shrug her shoulders and say, "Uh, I don't know..." At least it might keep people from thinking that this was the perfect diet and anything else was deadly.

But then I like to cause trouble at seminars. Never was too popular with guest speakers at school...

Constantine

Free Course