• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Ground Reaction Forces During the Kettlebell Snatch

gachumway

This semester I took a lab procedures class in force platform measurements. For my final project I measured the vertical ground reaction forces (VGRF) during the kettlebell snatch. The results were pretty interesting. I was using a 24kg kettlebell which is about 235 Newtons. Peak VGRF were more than twice that on the non-lifting side (~500N) and slightly less than that on the lifting side (~400N).

D

Dr. Mark Cheng

And in application...

Funny to read this thread after I was telling the NZ guys I was working with to practice snatching on terra firma instead of the thick mats in their gym!

Normally, I don't have much trouble snatching a 32kg, but with the 3 layers of floor padding in this MMA-focused gym that I was teaching in, a single snatch (right handed) took WAY more effort than I expected!

The workshop participants immediately felt the difference as well, watching their snatch weights & reps climb tremendously with the combination of hard ground and Hard Style!

sumit

Ha!
Although you could make an argument that feelings can be measured.
I feel way hungrier at dinner than post workout.

Semonides

This thread is quite a joule but would someone care to expound on the significance of this experiment. I can see there are bigger numbers on the non-lifting side. But anyone who has ever snatched knows this already. When I snatch, for example, I lift the front half of my non-lifting foot and then I synchronize a forceful drive into the ground with the hip snap.

So, the fact that there is more pressure on the non-lifting side is no shocker. But what do the actual numbers indicate? Why are they interesting? Would a scientist expect them to be closer in value? Further apart? The same?

gachumway

So is that 900N total measured?

Actually 800N since the peak forces took place at slightly different times on the two force platforms. I thought that was pretty significant since that's more than 3x the weight of the kettlebell.

mc

quotation aside

you and me both. By the way, cool sig-line. You just do not see Tiberius quoted that much any more.

er, i don't know that isn't later, seutonius attributes it to caligula by way of the poet Lucius Accius, or do i have my emperors mixed up?

just by the way.

mc

Free Course