• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

GS Nationals - snatch only event

lopa

I'd like to see how much interest there is in a snatch only event. We will consider it if there is a sufficient response.

Lorraine

Rob Lawrence

Fine with me

As long as the contestants wear skirts.

Just kidding. I think people should do both events if physically possible. They should skip the jerk only if they have some medical reason for doing so.

Rob

kenfolk

Curious as to why?

Lorraine:

So some people would compete only in the snatch, some in snatch plus jerk?

If you have snatch only, why not LC only?

Curious.

thx,

Ken

lopa

Re: Curious as to why?

Ken-
3 events - snatch only, traditional and LC. There are people with injuries who cannot even do a token jerk that may want to participate.

See you in Florida!
Lorraine

lopa

No Rob

Everybody knows that snatch only participants must wear singlets.

BTW- excellent jerk advice on Chris Rubio's forum! 2 very clever fellows, you and Terry!

L.

how about ...

a 1 pood division for men, a 1/2 pood division for women, a swing competition(one ore two hands), no scoring, and an award for everyone who shows up(including spectators). This is a slippery slope lets not ruin the sport before it gets off of the ground.

Steve

lopa

I understand your opposition

but snatch only is not that farfetched. It may never become an 'official' event but it will be a nice introduction to the sport as it is in it's infancy here. We are intentionally a bit more lenient at this first national meet than I expect it to be in the future. I'm sure that the qualification of a total of 2 (one in each lift at any meet in the country) may go up in the future also.

L.

Re: I understand your opposition

Lorraine,

There is a time and a place to be lenient, IMO it is not at the National Meet. Many people have trained for, competed in, and hosted meets in the traditional(read correct) GS formats. I respectfully suggest that the proponents of "jerk-free" competitions participate in the next TSC. Odd lifts and exhibition meets are cool, but in this case a snatch competition is a terribly bad idea.

Steve

Garm

Don't take it too seriously

Steve,

The 'real' giriveks can compete in traditional or long cycle with as strict adherence to international rules as possible. What the for-fun crowd does should be of no concern and in no way pollutes the traditional sport. I run into bench-only or push-pull or big 3 + power clean meets in PL all the time. They often have them at the same meets as the real powerlifting events. This is not powerlifting, but some weird stuff that those without interest or ability do. No big deal - they aren't powerlifters, and nobody resents them. Lorraine did not suggest a national championship for snatch only, BTW, just asked if anyone was interested in doing it. Anyone in the hunt for the real glory will not be doing snatch only - you wouldn't.

IMO, if we had a 2-hands anyhow on one foot while chewing bubble gum competition, that shouldn't bother you a bit.

Garm

you nailed it ...

when you wrote "those without interest or ability". GS is a tough sport for tough people. I can empathize with anyone who has injuries which prohibit them from competing, but the rules are the rules. IMO high-level meets are for serious competitors, not casual participants.

Steve

Garm

How does somebody else doing something completely different

denigrate or even impact your accomplishments in any way? I can appreciate your feelings on the matter, but would encourage you to reconsider. If some non-Girivek wants to drop a grand on plane tickets and hotels to try his/her hand at some event that is not GS, I do not understand why you would care one way or the other. You may consider him/her beneath you or otherwise pussified, but everybody can't be a tough guy. If we had a CoC gripper contest as a sideshow, you wouldn't care at all. So why does the fact that there is an iron ball involved have any bearing on the matter?

PS, in the end we'll either do what the majority wants us to do or we wont. In either case, only those in traditional or long cycle GS will be crowned national champions.

Garm

Re: How does somebody else doing something completely different

Garm,

I have a deeply seated belief that the competition is more important than the participants and I do not believe that any of us have enough GS stripes to take liberties with the format. I will be there to compete regardless of the final decision, but my opinion is unlikely to change.

Steve

Tarv

Opinion of newcomer, and casual observer.....

I personally see no problem in having other lifts as "exhibitions"... most any other sport does this type of thing, excluding the olympics(wich have musical guests and other forms of entertainment).

But the sport is still brand new to America, and having a snatch only competition with the standard size KB's seperate from the main event would take away from the whole point of the Comp. Especially on the day of the event. The day before would be good.. IMO

And if done at all, I think a 88lb bull dog snatch off would be a lot more interesting... :D

Free Course