• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

help with the Front Squat

Flattop

Loving the IsoChain. I originally bought it to cross train with other things I was doing. I love the workouts so much and have been getting such good results, it is my only workout now. I train 3 days a week, 3 sets of 6 second holds, 4 exercises total. Each workout is finished by an isometric hold hanging from a pullup bar. Alt days either a hanging L or a hanging frog kick.

I do have a question. When I used to hit the gym all the time, I would pile on the plates in the power rack, and do heavy squats with the barbell seated behind my head. I never really learned to do a front squat. This position is awkward for me. If I bring my elbows to much to the front as on page 140 of the Isometrics Manual, I can't get the bar near my chest. I really just can't get the hand and arm position correct for this one.

There is the Zercher Squat and the Straddle Lift, both of which I can do no problem, and are excellent lifts for leg training. I get the feeling I am not alone. There are a lot of people who always did squats with the bar resting on the traps behind your head. Any advice from the experts here would be greatly appreciated. An article about proper hand and arm positioning for the front squat and common mistakes people make would be even better.

GeoffreyLevens

1) Can wrap wrist straps around the bar and use them as handles, mostly taking wrist and shoulder mobility out of the equation
2) Hold bar as you would for front squat, elbows forward, just w/ bar at whatever level is comfortable. Then apply steady gentle pressure (using your legs since you don't have conventional, 45 lb bar to use), driving the bar GENTLY towards proper rack position across front delts. Breathe, relax, etc. When it gets too uncomfortable, back off, rest, and repeat. I got from nowhere near useful front rack to a pretty good front rack in a couple weeks doing this every day. YMMV

Free Course