• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

JohnnyPullups, re sandbags

exrecondoc

John-

Haven't seen you around much lately. How's school? Hey man, I just finished up in December, I know how tough it is to do the juggling act.

I did read your post about sandbags, and I thought I would suggest something to you. When I was down at Camp Lejeune I used to do this workout:

Take a 150 pound sandbag ouside and march off a 100yard course. Bearhug and walk with the sandbag down and back. If you have to drop it and start over, fine, but get the 200 yards. Then, climb a rope once. I had to use my feet, you can probably shoot up a rope upside down. Repeat 2 times. Then shoulder the sandbag and walk one length. Drop it, shoulder it on the other side and walk back. Do 5 cleans and presses. Do one more rope climb and call it a day.

When I did it, it was at the Obstacle course. There are about 30 of them on Camp Lejeune, so it wasn't a problem to climba rope. If you don't have access to one, substitute pullups. This is a workout that would serve any soldier, policeman, or fireman well since it simulates picking up and moving dead weight for distances as well as climbing. These are 2 very important skills to have if you are in such a profession. I would advise starting with a lighter sandbag untill you are accustomed to the unique challenges they present.

I'm not training with sandbags at the moment because I'm doing Garms' crazy squat program that I hope will deliver me from the throes of wussiness. He says 450 or he'll eat his hat. My goal is for Garm to not have to consume such non-nutritious meals. I would rather we both succeed and then consume some frosted malt based beverages.

see ya Johnny-

exrecondoc

Johnypullups

Re: Hey, Exrecon.....

I've been checking the board a couple times a day, just been busy (not to busy though) and haven't had a whole lot to say of late. Tweaked my lower back a bit the other day, but it is basically back to normal now. I know I sound like a bag of injuries, with the shoulders (which are back to painfree condition and stronger than ever, by the way) and now the back.......I perhaps have been overtraining a little, so I'm backing off a touch now.
The sandbag workout sounds like a serious killer. I've done similar style workouts in the past, and as I'm sure you know from experience, they are pukers, or borderline pukers.
You've got 450 in the bag, no problem. In fact, I would put money on 450, 350, 550 within the next sixth months for you. Perfectly possible....

AdamMatzRKC

Question for you Johny

What have you done to rid yourself of shoulder pain? I've had little shoulder injuries/pains frecuently (much less since I started PTP) and I've got a nagging pain in my right shoulder now that doesn't want to go away. I can do push-ups, pull-ups and the wheel with no pain but it hurts (between the front and side delt) when I bring my arm behind my back and put pressure on it. I've quit benching completely, which I'm sure is the main cause. BTW, I have no KBs and very limited weights, and I'm not in a place where I can get anything more than DBs. If you can help me out I'll really owe you one. Thanks,
Com Adam

Johnypullups

Re: Waydownsouth.....

If your pain is really bad go see a doctor. Mine wasn't bad enough to warrant that, except maybe the first day. I think most people who lift hardcore are going to have aches and pains now and then, and thats what I adribute mine to. If that is your case, I suggest ice, ice, ice, and rest. Always helps me when I have a flair up. I'm fairly stubborn when it comes to giving up movements I enjoy because they cause pain, but recently I gave up weighted dips....actually I don't do anything but overhead pressing for my pushing muscles anymore. You might consider giving up the pushups and working exclusively on handstand pushups. Regular pushups have been known to cause people shoulder pain...... and if you think benching had something to do with the pain, guess what movement pushups mimic to a certain extent?.....

exrecondoc

Johnny...

John,

You're too kind. You know, I would say you're right that I could reach those numbers except that I am a bag of injuries myself. What has typically happened in the past is that I would make substantial progress and then one false slip tweaks out my back like a teenager on meth.

Subsequently, I have erred on the side of caution in ending cycles early and not ever doing a rep if I think the form will be off. These are not bad practices mind you, but as the say in the SAS, "Who Dares Wins." You won't necessarily set the world on fire by playing it safe. I will find the balance and do my best. I sure hope you get yourself injury-free soon. Don't worry about it too much, we all go through times when it's one thing after another. That's how I was over the summer. I figure I've used my injury quota for a couple of years anyway, so I better get in some good training.

exrecondoc

Johnypullups

Re: Exrecon.....

I hear ya, but hey, better to be injury free and lift 5 or 10 more pounds than rip a 40+ PR along with a variety of muscles and tendons in your body. As long as I can train near my best, I'm happy. I'm like you, with a little will power and extra push, PR's are always there, but so are injuries. So I'm playing it niiiccceeee and ssslllloooowww, the PR's will come in time. Not being able to train at all would be akin to, as you would put it, a teenager trying to kick his meth habit.

Free Course