• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

kettlebells and lats....opinions please...

JonFrost

I have been very happy with the changes in my physique since I've started training with kettlebells. My strength has improved dramatically, too. I have always been skinny, and still am, but am much more muscled and defined. My weight hasn't changed, which is ok, as long as I'm getting stronger and look better. I weigh 150 at 6'2". What I would like to do is increase the width of my back, or my lats. I know that rows are good, as well as pullups and overhead pressing. All of which I do. My question is should I do more reps to get a wider "V" look? Currently I do a few sets of low reps. Especially in the para press (I can't quite do a good military press with my 1.5's yet). Any help is appreciated. Thanks, as always.

Jon

Eric Bruesch

Muscle mass is all about workout volume and eating.

Rows and/or pullups are both good lat builders. If you want more size, try more sets of five reps. Try keeping rest periods between sets to 90 seconds or less and increase the number of sets you do... 10 sets at least. You will only want to train with this much volume 3x per week to start.

If you can't yet do 10 sets of 5 reps, lower the number of reps per set and keep pulling!

Remember that muscle does not increase while you work out, but while you rest. Get lots of rest and eat lots of good protein. Most people who have a hard time adding mass need to eat more, and more often.

Good luck!

JonFrost

Re: Muscle mass is all about workout volume and eating.

I have a very small appetite, unfortunately. I don't eat much. I was watching a show about Bruce Less and his lats were massive, even though he was very thin. How is that?

JonFrost

I have a very small appetite, unfortunately. I don't eat much. I was watching a show about Bruce Less and his lats were massive, even though he was very thin. How is that?

Eric Bruesch

I'm not familiar with Bruce Less...

He may just naturally have that sort of build, or it may have taken years of very lat-focused training. Unfortunately we can't just pick another person's body and look exactly like them, no matter how we train. People are just different.

I can tell you that if you want to add muscle mass, one way or another you'll have to eat!

Stealth

try the bent press

The bent press is a good option, my back feels like it's exploded after doing them. At 6'2", you probably have the arm width to perform deadlifts in the manner that Steve Reeves did them, which was to grab the lip of the plates, and deadlift the weight. He had a tremendous lat spread.

Another thing to consider is overtraining the obliques and preventing the abs from becoming too thick. A thick waistline will hinder the taper that you are seeking.

Nick Radonjic

Re: Agreed! However. . .

You can alternate the bear workout as described in PTP as well as doing EDT workouts emphasizing your lats> Key thing as mentioned is more and more volume. However more and more volume in the same time frame, say 15-20 minutes objectively will verify your results from a trength and mass standpoint so long as you take care of the nutrition and, rest and stress reduction aspects of putting on mass! Good luck!

Re: I'm not familiar with Bruce Less...

Bruce Lee u mean?
b/c Bruce LEE was famous for his lats, nd btw, his book can be bought on amazon, which xplains how he trained. Its called "The Expression of the Human body" i tink, not sure, jus look up bruce lee nd u'll prolly find it

Tyler Hass RKC

Jon,
Look at gymnasts, they have monster lats! Part of what makes them look so big is that they have very thin waists and very little bodyfat. The combination of big lats and shoulders and a thin waist really accentuates the v-shape.
Olympic lifters have very big lats as well, but generally have thicker waists, so their lat size is not as obvious as with a gymnast. However, it is definitely there.

One cool technique that you can use with kettlebells applies to cleans, swings and snatches. It will help your lat growth. Check out this tip from Power Athletes Magazine: http://www.powerathletesmag.com/archives/seven/tips7.htm

The tip is called the :tri-lat tuck for more power". It works quite well and will help you work your lats more and generally stay tighter.
With your flexibility and size you ought to give gymnastics a try. Perhaps there is an adult class in your area. If you spend enough time on the pommel horse, parallel bars and rings, your lats will get huge. You will look like a flying squirrel:)

Free Course