• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Lbs/KG and a starter KB..

OdinsSon

Well I got some pennies saved finally :) and going to get my first "real KB". the home made version is going bye bye.
What is a good size to start with? I was looking at the 35LB, but thought maybe go a little heavier at first.
Max kettlebell had the 35 lb at 70$ per but then jumped up to 50lb.. woudl a DD 44 lb be a better choice? thanks all..

HealthNut27

Can you give an idea of your strength level...

Im a pretty small guy compared to most on this board, and I dont have any problem using the 54 lb KB.

Especially considering you already have the feel for a KB, why not just start with the 54. I would be afraid you would outgrow the 44 too quickly, and given the price you might as well get one you can use for a while.

OdinsSon

Re: Can you give an idea of your strength level...

Very true, my strength is not too bad considiering that my right shoulder was out of comm for a while earlier in the year. I just did not want to go too heavy and not be able to use it.
But , then again It would prvide a good work up to point, just not too sure I could clean it, I ahve been working with a home made that is about 36 lbs, and got into the groove with it pretty quick.

HealthNut27

Re: Can you give an idea of your strength level...

Are you saying you wont be able to clean it because of your shoulder?

Strenght wise, I doubt cleaning would be a problem. You might need to work up to snatches, but cleans and swings would most likely not be a problem

Might not be able to military press it right away, but you could always do jerks and push presses and negatives to work up to a strict press.

I guess it depends how much you have to spend. If you have enough to buy two, then start with the 36 and buy the 54 when you feel you are ready. But if you can only get one, I would say go for the 54. Like you say, it gives you something to work into.

Steve Freides

Please post statistics

Your height, weight, bodyfat percentage if you know it, sex, what size of homemade kettlebell you've been working with, what movements you've done with it and how they feel, any powerlifting or olympic lifting numbers, any past or current sports you play, etc. Then tell us what your goals are.

Then we can try to make some suggestions.

-S-

OdinsSon

Re: Please post statistics

I was useing a 35lb home made bell, have done swings , up to 80 reps, cleans, windmills, mil press ect.
I am 5'10 and now down to 245, and male if the nickname did not give it away. I was jsut not sure if a big jump to a 50lb would be too great a leap, and 35 just sounds too light.. the movements feel pretty smooth, and I seem to "catch" it without banging up my forearms. No olympic lifts at all , adn I a GTG witht he NW exercises now too as of a week ago when I got the book. Looking to develop more stregth and endurance for the military re entry that I hope to be no later than Aug.. Thanks as always

OdinsSon

Re: Please post statistics

I was useing a 35lb home made bell, have done swings , up to 80 reps, cleans, windmills, mil press ect.
I am 5'10 and now down to 245, and male if the nickname did not give it away. I was just not sure if a big jump to a 50lb would be too great a leap, and 35 just sounds too light.. the movements feel pretty smooth, and I seem to "catch" it without banging up my forearms. No olympic lifts at all , and I a GTG witht the NW exercises now too as of a week ago when I got the book. Looking to develop more stregth and endurance for the military re entry that I hope to be no later than Aug.. Thanks as always

Free Course