• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Mirror mirror on .........

crew

Comrades,

i know pav's( we're on a nickname basis) philosophy regarding watching w/ mirrors while training.

However, i find that with any new movement, i get a better alignment if i can see myself.

With all the taping of training going on from golf to skiing, wouldn't visual feedback help? I mean i watch pavel on the video, so what's so criminal about the mirror?

Warren

Re: MIRROR MIRROR ON .........

The danger is that it is too easy to get watching ourselves, leading to vanity. Without the use of mirrors, one can concentrate better on the task at hand and not worry how they look.

If you use them at first, just to check your form, but take them down once you know how.

crew

Com. Warren,

Thanks, and well said, though you would not accuse me of vanity is you espied me when I work out ( don't shave shower, brush neither hair nor teeth and have been found in the same mismatched color schem for days).

agreed though that gawking name and counter productive.

Good lifting.

Rory

tylerhasselhoff

I'm not sure if it's entirely a vanity issue. I think it might have a lot to do with balance as well. When you are receiving two sources of input concerning the position of your body (mental awareness and the mirror), your nervous system might get confused. It's best to just rely on your body awareness, because when you're moving furniture, you will probably never have a mirror around to rely upon.
When learning a movement, it might be nice to check your form, but you should probably get away form the mirrors ASAP. Read PTP, page 80 for Pavel's take on this issue.

MattZ

I have found it very dangerous to have mirrors around. When you are doing the PTP lifts with high weights your from has to be perfect of you can really get hurt. There is just no way you can really concentrate on your form with the mirrors.

MattZ

Warren

The other comrades said what I was thinking better than I could, however my take on it concerns the people who like to "watch" themselves in a reflection where ever they can. As in alot of commercial gyms. You know the ones! Always have to look cool types.
Well said comrades, I share your thoughts! :)

crew

To hell wth it. Think I'm going back to BP from trying side presses. Except for a few fleeting moments, I can't 'feel' the pec. Getting a hellish lat workout, but can't find the right intermediary point. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

BTW, it ppears that many if not all of you folk BP!

Good Lifting,

Rory

Sean H.

I know what you guys mean about bodybuilders looking at themselves in the mirrors, but doesn't Arthur Saxon in the "Text Book of Weight-lifting" say, if possible, to exercise in front of a looking-glass? I when I exercise in the garage, I have sometimes looked at my reflection in the car window to make sure something was correct, and it didn't distract me too much. I would only look in a mirror if there was something I wanted to make sure was right, and only using a light weight in case it does distract you and you lose your balance, tension, concentration, etc.

Gene

Video Camera?

One my teachers used a video camera to review speeches. Anyone trying it for lifting? I don't have one or I'd try it myself.

Com Gene

Free Course