• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Mixing cardiovascular conditioning with strength training

kaidranzer

Hi everyone. I was wondering whether any of you have tried doing some cardio exercises on your non-strength training days. I'm looking to add jumping ropes to my routine so that it would look something like:

Alternate days - CC (2 exercises on weekdays, full body on weekends)
Off days - Rope jumps + Trifecta

Do you think adding jumping ropes would be a bit too much and may interfere with my CC workouts?

ComradeCat

If you're going for reps in the hundred, it might interfere with your recovery. However, if you're doing it in manageable sets, I don't see why it would interfere.

The other option is to use something like weighted jump ropes to increase conditioning demands, but you have to be careful not to over do it.

kaidranzer

If you're going for reps in the hundred, it might interfere with your recovery. However, if you're doing it in manageable sets, I don't see why it would interfere.

The other option is to use something like weighted jump ropes to increase conditioning demands, but you have to be careful not to over do it.

Do you mean hundred reps per set or a total of hundred reps spread across sets? And yes I was thinking of moving up to weighted jump ropes/KB swings after a certain point.

AndrewR

I average 5k of running and another 5k of running most days and strength train daily. It doesn't jntervere too much if you're smart about it. My daily strength warm up is 3-5 x 25 push ups, 7 pull ups, and 20 sit ups. This idea of "too much" is mostly all in your head. Your body will be fine.

kaidranzer

I average 5k of running and another 5k of running most days and strength train daily. It doesn't jntervere too much if you're smart about it. My daily strength warm up is 3-5 x 25 push ups, 7 pull ups, and 20 sit ups. This idea of "too much" is mostly all in your head. Your body will be fine.

Sounds good. I can always experiment with what works best. Just wanted to check whether anyone's had their calves sore on a squat day due to a cardio session on the previous day.

Springdragon

I hate LISS cardio like jogging and skipping rope, but I do HIIT once or twice a week. Sometimes I do it on off days, sometimes I tack it on at the end of a strength training session (since if I did it at the beginning, the fatigue would interfere with the strength work).

Usually I just do circuits of push, pull and squats for about 10-15 minutes until I feel like my lungs and/or head are about to pop. E.g. x close push ups, y horizontal pulls, z squat jumps, repeat til time's up. Occasionally I throw in a little shadow boxing to catch my breath in between circuits, add weight to the squat jumps, or whatever. Works well enough and doesn't impede recovery at all, as far as I can tell.

pixelzombie

I'll do 40 to 50 miles of fast riding during the warmer months on the weekends only but I don't do any leg work during this time as it interferes with my cadence on the bike. I tried to mix in jumping rope during the tail end of winter but it gave me a pain on the outside of my right leg, it was at the top of my calf muscle. Never did figure out how to fix that so I had to stop.

Wolfeye

Banned
Try the stuff in Explosive Calisthenics. It's good & works to help strength as well as cardio- that way you get more of a benefit from your workout overall.

kaidranzer

Try the stuff in Explosive Calisthenics. It's good & works to help strength as well as cardio- that way you get more of a benefit from your workout overall.

I've got the book but haven't read it. I was under the impression that you're not supposed to start with the explosive work until you reach Step 5s in all progressions. I haven't yet so I've ignored the explosive work at the moment. Although Step 6 Squats is within sight so I'll start the leg explosive work soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wolfeye

Banned
Actually, the progressions (even with the explosive stuff) starts very easy. If you can do regular push-ups & regular squats, you should be fine to start things off with that.

AndrewR

The problem with doing loaded work (and bw work is still a form of resistance training) is that despite your HR going up you're not actually getting much of a fitness benefit. At all HRs you'll get fitter from traditional cardio forms such as running, rowing, cycling, etc. That's just down to blood flow - when you tense a muscle it stops the blood flowing through it. That decreases the amount of oxygen actually used. So % of Vo2 max is always lower and this fitness benefits are lower.

I wrote about it here - Circuit Training Doesn't Get You Fitter | Breaking Muscle

If you want a lot of the science I suggest reading Kenneth Jay's Cardio Code book.

Ranger2116

No I do it on the same days. Each to their own, I say. I add a jump rope circuit to use as a warmup/speed and quickness. Then I do my work, PCC/kettbells and finishes each day with hill sprints or prowler sprints or sled sprints. I rotate around these three. Personally I use C-Mass on a rotating basis and add the jump rope and finishers. I train 3x a week.
Hi everyone. I was wondering whether any of you have tried doing some cardio exercises on your non-strength training days. I'm looking to add jumping ropes to my routine so that it would look something like:

Alternate days - CC (2 exercises on weekdays, full body on weekends)
Off days - Rope jumps + Trifecta

Do you think adding jumping ropes would be a bit too much and may interfere with my CC workouts?

Free Course