• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Near-asphyxia training for muscle growth: whole body occlusion?

mc

Just when you think things can't get stranger in the lab - even though there's a kind of sense to this - researchers have used questions raised in occlusion training to start looking at the effect of severely reduced oxygen on triggering the chemical soup that leads to hypertrophy.

The effects seem to be way different than altitude adaptation. The more i ponder the results, the more they seem like a sort of predictable, elevated threat response, rather than any sort of particular muscle/blood thing seen in endurance at altitude training.

More detailed discussion of the study and findings and a few questions here at b2d

talk about "huge in a hurry"

best
mc

Rambodoc

Com. mc:
GH is released during stress not to increase the size of the brain or the muscles at that time, but because it has a hyperglycemic effect. Blood glucose levels go up because of GH and other stress hormones like the catecholamines. This has immediate potential for performance enhancement in the flight-or-fight response. Of course, over time, we may be wiser and find more roles for this vital hormone.

pesce

At first this got a "holy s" out of me, then "who funded this", then finally "of course, why not". As you note, endurance athletes have been doing it for forever, so why not take it into the anaerobic realm. Any comrades with significant disposable income doing this already?

JMO, but all the low budget approaches should be strictly off limits.

One small thing on the excellent article..there's a VWC review link ("like viking warrior conditioning, reviewed here") that I don't see.

mc

At first this got a "holy s" out of me, then "who funded this", then finally "of course, why not". As you note, endurance athletes have been doing it for forever, so why not take it into the anaerobic realm. Any comrades with significant disposable income doing this already?

JMO, but all the low budget approaches should be strictly off limits.

One small thing on the excellent article..there's a VWC review link ("like viking warrior conditioning, reviewed here") that I don't see.

Thank you. and thanks for reading so carefully.
here's the vwc detailed review (and link added)

best
mc

mc

Com. mc:
GH is released during stress not to increase the size of the brain or the muscles at that time, but because it has a hyperglycemic effect. Blood glucose levels go up because of GH and other stress hormones like the catecholamines. This has immediate potential for performance enhancement in the flight-or-fight response. Of course, over time, we may be wiser and find more roles for this vital hormone.

That's wild. and perfectly apt.
It's total threat response picture then. Awesome.
so the muscle building side effects are just if you live long enough to benefit from them - which also makes sense: you survive, fringe benefit, you get to get stronger. that's just wild.

Thank you.

mc

[update: have updated post to include reference to this with some support. thanks again - mc]

Last edited:

Taking Cattle

I asked about this a few years ago and Pavel said that his (insert forgotten name) technique, where you press the KB to 75% extension, lower it to 25% extension, then finally press it to full extension (for every rep) created a similar environment in the working muscles.

Free Course