• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Piriformis syndrome and CC

ad5ly

I put my kb training aside for the last few weeks due to a pain in the butt I have recently aquired. :( Piriformis has struck again and the dull ache has effected movements in my hinging pattern so swings and snatches are a no-go. I have been doing stretches (pigeon pose and others along with foam rolling) in conjuction with CC pushups and pullups.

Good news is that my regular 2 hand push up PR has hit the number 50 ( one set) - WITH STRENGTH IN THE BANK. :) This is with the CC tempo protocol of 2-1-2. I never done this before! Pullups are still a struggle. When I do too many my elbow gets sore so I have to be careful here. I find CC has helped me get through injury in the past and is a great break from the regular routine..Dennis

MrCharlie

First off, nice work on the push ups. Here is what works for me. The Rumble Roller. I used to have elbow pain from pull ups when I used an Iron Gym doorway bar. The problem was that the bar diameter was too small. This is similar to why tennis players develop 'tennis elbow' from having a racquet handle that is too small. I've been there too. It works the grip in a negative way. The problem disappeared after I built a TAPS replica with a 1.5 inch bar. No more elbow pain, even after weighted pull ups / chin ups.

-Aaron

Steve Freides

I put my kb training aside for the last few weeks due to a pain in the butt I have recently aquired. :( Piriformis has struck again and the dull ache has effected movements in my hinging pattern so swings and snatches are a no-go. I have been doing stretches (pigeon pose and others along with foam rolling) in conjuction with CC pushups and pullups.

Good news is that my regular 2 hand push up PR has hit the number 50 ( one set) - WITH STRENGTH IN THE BANK. :) This is with the CC tempo protocol of 2-1-2. I never done this before! Pullups are still a struggle. When I do too many my elbow gets sore so I have to be careful here. I find CC has helped me get through injury in the past and is a great break from the regular routine..Dennis
How is your kettlebell windmill? That's a tremendous stretch.

DrJAG2

I too suffered badly from piriformis syndrome. Rumble roller helped me as well, but what really helped was getting super serious about increasing my hip mobility in every direction. I had some residual issues from a hamstring/AD magnus injury that I believe was adding to the piriformis issues. Once I got serious with fixing that (lots of tactical frog and hip flexor stretches in every direction), the piriformis issues haven't bothered me. Try working that hip in every direction as seriously as you approach your other practice and see where it gets you. IIRC, that's kind of the approach Steve Friedes, who also replied to this thread, took in getting his back together again.

Easey Jack

Good news is that my regular 2 hand push up PR has hit the number 50 ( one set) - WITH STRENGTH IN THE BANK. :) This is with the CC tempo protocol of 2-1-2.

Wow. Very few people realize how incredible an achievement this is at suck a momentum-free tempo. And with STRENGTH IN THE BANK! :eek:

Muscles of iron, Dennis! Don't know anything about the priformis, but whatever push-up tricks you are using, keep it up! :cool:

ad5ly

Steve,

When I was doing my EDT cycle I included windmills btwn the PR zones. They felt great for the shoulders and t-spine and with no piriformis issues. This is a great drill for the hips also that I know. I did try them recently but there is still some low grade pain so I stopped for now. Will continue with stretching and foam rolling and ice. The good news is that the pain is getting less and less and ROM increasing as the days go by. I will give it a couple more weeks then try again. The mystery is that I have no idea how this happened. I was having an easy week of it and right out of nowhere it hit me. Nothing special or unusual from my regular training. Don't know if it was exercise related or just bad sleep position - or just getting too darn old. I know better now not to push into pain from too many previous bad outcomes.

Thanks too all for the input on rumble rollers. looks like a good thing to have around.

and thanks to Easy Jack for the attaboy in the pushups. This injury has me focusing almost soley on pushups and pullups and as a result I made alot of progress. I am doing them in gtg fashion throughout the day but using CC protocol with regard to technique and tempo.

BUT I DO MISS MY SWINGS!!!...Dennis

TomFurman

Go to Amazon and purchase, "The Foundation". This is the most thorough and effective back health program I have seen. Your piriformis issues will subside.

Striker

Dennis - What happens when:

1. You lay on your back and place your feet flat on the floor, knees bent.
2. Place the ankle of one foot on the quad of the other leg, so it looks like your sitting with your leg crossed except in this case your lying down.
3. With one hand pull the knee of the crossed leg towards its shoulder while simultaneously pulling forward on the ankle of the crossed leg with the other hand and pushing on the crossed leg with the leg that started off down (it will rise up now to push) so you are pulling / pushing at three points on the crossed leg.

Do you feel a hell of a stretch? How does the stretch compare to pidgeon pose in the affected area?

Last edited:

Chris F.

50 pushups at CC tempo is stunning to me! Awesome work! Don't know which pullup grip you use Dennis, but I switched to the chin grip and its been a lifesaver. I'll say Wade mentions to pick the most comfortable grip. He doesn't seem to be too concerned with the "tacticlness" of the grip.

schnieder

Dennis, how much do you weight? That is incredible.

Tom, I'm going to check out that book. I've been dealing with a side hip issue for over a year.

ad5ly

I weigh 187lbs. down from 205lbs. I have done pushups today trying to replicate my 50 reps at CC tempo - and to be honest some of the reps were rushed at a faster rate at around 40 reps and up. I did not use a meterdome (sp?) for tempo rythym just being more observant and critical in my assessment. But the pushups were controlled and no inertia was generated as in the drop and pop varient of pushups common in the military. SO, it looks like I still have to hone the edge a little sharper. I am overall happy with the 3 weeks of concentrated training in my pushups.

I am going to give chinups a try. See if that helps out with the elbow problem.

Striker,
I have done that stretch and also that stretch sitting upright on a straight back chair. They all seem to me to hit the area very well. Immediately after doing those stretches and pigeon pose I feel instant relief which lasts for a few hours. I have also just replaced my recliner which upon inspection I found broken springs and hardware missing underneath the seat. Was getting no support from this recliner for a long time. Having a new chair or mattress can make all the difference in the world. If it is broke replace it and your body will thank you..Dennis

Striker

I weigh 187lbs. down from 205lbs. I have done pushups today trying to replicate my 50 reps at CC tempo - and to be honest some of the reps were rushed at a faster rate at around 40 reps and up. I did not use a meterdome (sp?) for tempo rythym just being more observant and critical in my assessment. But the pushups were controlled and no inertia was generated as in the drop and pop varient of pushups common in the military. SO, it looks like I still have to hone the edge a little sharper. I am overall happy with the 3 weeks of concentrated training in my pushups.

I am going to give chinups a try. See if that helps out with the elbow problem.

Striker,
I have done that stretch and also that stretch sitting upright on a straight back chair. They all seem to me to hit the area very well. Immediately after doing those stretches and pigeon pose I feel instant relief which lasts for a few hours. I have also just replaced my recliner which upon inspection I found broken springs and hardware missing underneath the seat. Was getting no support from this recliner for a long time. Having a new chair or mattress can make all the difference in the world. If it is broke replace it and your body will thank you..Dennis

When I'm at home...I found lying down and pulling the knee to its shoulder gave me a much deeper stretch than sitting in a straight back chair and bending the upper body down to meet the knee. Also, I found pulling the ankle back gives added benefits.

When I'm at work... I've done the chair sitting version because it looks more appropriate to the powers that be in a work environment.

Free Course