• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Prolotherapy, anybody have any experience with it or know anyone who does?

kbpaul

Old age, old injurys & all the repetitious work & working out is leading to a lot of pain & (maybe) arthritis, I hears about Prolotherapy on a talk show & was thinking about trying it. Just looking for some insight by people who AREN'T just looking for my money! Thx

Rex_Kwon_Do

I have been meaning to post an update including this information since I had excellent results with Prolo (for insurance reasons, it is not referred to as Prolotherapy in VA) for my lower back. Of course it is not for everyone, but in my situation, I had injured the ligaments in my back, and Prolo is the process of injecting a low level irritant (in my case Glucose) into the ligament to trigger an acute reaction and stimulate healing. If you are in central VA, I highly recommend Dr. Peter Bower. He is one of the few Doctors I have come across who is not after your money and has a pretty good understanding of functional training.

Good luck.

kbpaul

A couple questions for you Rex,
How many sessions did you do? Is it just 1 injection each time? How was the pain during the injection & after? I'm wondering if I'll be able to go to work while doing the treatments? Or can i get the treatments & work a couple days after? How many days or weeks did he space out the treatments?

Chad Paulus

Old age, old injurys & all the repetitious work & working out is leading to a lot of pain & (maybe) arthritis, I hears about Prolotherapy on a talk show & was thinking about trying it. Just looking for some insight by people who AREN'T just looking for my money! Thx

I have had some experience with prolotherapy with a dextrose,NS,marcaine mix for achilles tendonitis. The tendonitis was a running injury i had battled with for close to 3 years. I had 2 injections about 2 weeks apart. They first one felt great until the marcaine wore off and then hurt for 2-3 days pretty bad. The second i had minimal pain. The idea is to trick your body that there is an injury to that area to stimulate a healing response. I can definitely say that this in combination with eccentric calf raises/core strenghthening, and not running more than 2 consecutive days it has definitely cured my problem.

Not sure where you're located but if you're in the Mpls area i'd be happy to help get you set up. I work in his office.

Rex_Kwon_Do

A couple questions for you Rex,
How many sessions did you do? Is it just 1 injection each time? How was the pain during the injection & after? I'm wondering if I'll be able to go to work while doing the treatments? Or can i get the treatments & work a couple days after? How many days or weeks did he space out the treatments?

Everyone is different as is each Dr. My Doc said the norm was three treatments with Glucose. I ended up having four injections total spaced out over four months. Each treatment my body reacted differently. I was very sore after the first treatment, but the others were really not bad at all. I had an injection around my SI joint on either side of my spine each session. It feels like you have a hydraulic lift pumping you up.

None of my sessions prevented me from activity. To give you an idea, my doctor had Prolo done himself, but his session was with pumice. Can you imagine? He said it was excruciating, but he was playing squash that same night. I highly encourage you to bring ice packs for after your treatment.

Free Course