• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

PTP form questions(DL, SP)

ZackWilson

I'm doing PTP and having some difficulty with form on the two lifts I've not done in the past. On the deadlift, I am getting a little shap pain below my left knee at thr very top of the shin. What am I likely doing wrong there? On the SP, can someone tell me the sequence of muscles? In other words, should tension ripple from foot through legs, butt, bliques, lats, and up or is it more like just a one handed military press and more stress on the delts? I can't seem to feel it out or tell how far to lean. On the deads, I can't tell if I'm going too low or what. I've watched the video, but the feel is tough to get. Is there some visualization that others use to get the form feeling right? Thanks.

tensionMike

Its sounds to me like your more or less a beginner with large compound movements. With the deadlift, although it looks pretty simple, you have to really mentally focus on every rep. I have always found that if I do deadlifts they way I should I really feel my abs working. I used to get a pain in my knee like you but it went away. Maybe your joints arent used too heavy weights and they will go through some changes and become stronger.
As for the side press try not to think of it as an isolation workout. The main goal should be to keep the working shoulder down and stay as tight as possible. It has been my experience that the weight you are using will dictate how much you will lean. Also really focus on crushing the bar. I know pavel mentions this a lot...but it is really easy to lose focus.
Lastly it takes time. your body will adapt just keep pushing! Hope I helped.

TMerrick

As to your knee pain, it might be that you are pushing more through your toes than pre-tensing your hamstrings and using your posterior chain (hamstrings and glutes) to "push the floor away". The area you are describing that hurts is about where the patellar tendon inserts into the tibia. Pushing more through your toes on that foot would mean you're using more quadricep muscles than hamstring/glutes.

Not sure if you are using a conventional style DL or sumo (wide stance) style. Also, what kind of footwear are you using to DL?

Hope these ideas help--please keep us posted.

Teresa Merrick, M.A.
Bellevue, NE

ZackWilson

Thanks for the answers so far. I think I may be using too much quad. Where should I feel it, in the glutes and hammies? I have some sneakers from Puma that are pretty flat, but I might get some chucks. I work out in my garage and while there is a space heater, the concrete floor is just too cold to go barefoot. Also, what is a reasonable goal to be looking forward to. I know bodyweight in bench is a basic benchmark, what is it for DL, BW or double? Thanks.

TMerrick

Flat is good and if you like the Pumas (and not squishy), use them. Your glutes and hamstrings need to work hard to help drive bar off floor while low, mid, and upper back need to contract and maintain stability of the upper body to transmit the leg drive to the weight.

I'm not aware of any DL benchmark and I don't really believe in any pre-set ones anyway. Set your goal to get a little better than you were last time. There will be many things that affect how good you can ultimately get. But by focusing on getting a little better each time, or waving it like in PTP, you'll be on an upward trend all the time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Teresa Merrick, M.A.
Bellevue, NE

Free Course