• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

question on flexibility

Tim-may

I just wanted to know what are the main differences between Pavel's three books: Beyond Stretching, Relax Into Stretch, and Super Joints? Also what book would be the best to start with? I'm looking to improve overall flexibility. I'm an above average sized male (6'2 235lb) and train in Brazilian Ju-jitsu. Often times I find myself in good position for a submission or an escape but can't pull it off because of poor flexibility. We do strecthing before we roll but it just doesn't seem to be working for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS - I just recently finished reading PTP and began my first linear cycle of deads and presses. I just wanted to personally thank Pavel for getting me back on the right track to functional strength and leaving all the bodybuilding wisdom in the trash where it belongs!

JonFrost

Super Joints is mostly for joint health and mobility, definately something you would want as a BJJ practitioner. After that I would say get the Relax into Stretch book or video to do the isometric stretches. Super Joints and RIS make a great flexibility combination. Good luck.

Jon

Rickster

I agree with Com Jon Frost. I have both books and Super Joints deals mostly with joint mobility and Relax into Stretch deals with reprogramming your nervous system to allow your muscles to lenghten. Very complemntary books and highly recommended.

Master Rinpoche

two suggestions

1. Cross train - you do not have to be flexible to break holds. I am not that flexible and I have been able to break anything anyone has put on me so far. This include some vale tudo and BJJ guys. It is about know-how and finess. You should try to cross train in another grappling art.

I was at a grappling workshop this weekend and this wrestler put me in a hold on the ground and said, "once I get this put on you can't get out". So i turned my arm from palm up to palm down and pulled it out with no effort and reversed putting him in a neck crank.

The hold was good, but every lock has a key. It really is deceptively simple to defeat most locks, holds and pins.

2. What you are after is joint mobility - not so much static flexibility. That is, you want range of motion - especially for grappling. Superjoints is great. Relax into stretch is also wonderful material. If you can afford it - get both. If not - go for superjoints.

I am personally amassing a Pavel Library and will one day own everything by the guy. I haven't regretted a single decision to buy any of his material.

Tim-may

Re: two suggestions

Master Rinpoche: Thank you for you comments. I kind of cross train all at one place. What I mean is that the place I train at is technically labeled a Brazilian Ju-jitsu school although I guess it should just be called submission wrestling because we hardly ever wear our GI's and a lot of Greco-Roman is incorporated into our stand-up. And we do some Vale-Tudo type sparring almost once a week. I wish a Russian Sambo and Muay Thai place opened around here then I'd be in heaven.

With the flexibility, I just meant situations like if a guy has a side mount and leaves his arm between your legs, you can push off and triangle him but when i do this I can't figure 4 my leg like i should. I end up locking the figure 4 under the calf instead of under the knee. I attribute this to poor flexibility; however, it may be it's because the guys i wrestle tend to go around 250lbs. maybe a little of both....anyway, thanks for your suggestions about the books, and I'll have a Pavel reference section on my bookshelf one day too!

P

Pavel Tsatsouline

Com. Chris660, thank you for your kind words! As a BJJ player you should start with SJ; Com. Steve Maxwell uses it extensively.

Free Course