• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Question to Mike Mahler or other RKC's???

fusionman

Hey guys, my question is about lower back aching. After doing cleans or snatches, but mostly with overhead pressing my lower back tends to ache. When doing the pulling exercises I am pretty good about pushing my butt back and keeping my back arched. When doing the presses I still keep my back straight, maybe a little on the arched side, but it seems that this is the way it is shown or demonstrated by most people. Should I try to tuck my hips under with glute and ab contraction? It feels like my spine erectors are litteraly pulling me backwards into an arched position. Could having stronger back muscles than abdominals be contributing?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long question!
-nick

p.s. I understand that you should contract the glutes and abs when pressing and pulling, but should you actively pull the hips under?

dfinley

Nick,

if you forcefully contract the abs and glutes your hips should roll under; so, yes, this is the correct method for overhead pressing.

IMHO

David Finley, RKC

dfinley

Nick,

if you forcefully contract the abs and glutes your hips should roll under; so, yes, this is the correct method for overhead pressing.

IMHO

David Finley, RKC

Just brace for a punch when pressing

You don't want to curl your back in, but do not arh it excessively either. Flex your legs, butt and stomach and you are all set. Look straight ahead instead of up when pressing as well.

Senor Blanco

Is the downward swing causing the pain?

I used to suffer from lower back pain after using KBs. I wasn't sure of the cause.

After a lot thought (and used of a forbidden mirror), I realized I was going far too back on the downward part of the swing (or snatch or clean -- same motion downwards). For example, on the way down from a snatch, etc., I'd try to get the KB to swing back way under my legs. From looking in a mirror, I realized that I was rounding my back as a consequence. And that rounding, although slight, was resulting in the pain. And it was not a sharp stabbing pain associated with going backwards. Instead, it was usually slight pain/stiffness that would develop after I finished working out.

Ultimately, I suppose I was rounding my back because my hamstrings were too tight. But I solved the problem in the short run by not going back as far on the downward part of the swing. That ended the pain.

Free Course