• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

RKC Snatch test rep scheme - success!

TheMerryPup

I'll let you guys know up front that I'm not an RKC and I don't foresee going for it in the future, (no desire to teach). I just do kettlebells and bodyweight stuff to keep fit and stay healthy but I like challenges and the snatch test was something for me to shoot for.

Anyway, today I completed it in 4:55 with my DD 24kg bell. I tried it about 6 weeks ago and came in at 5:06. In that attempt I didn't put the bell down but I was doing the regular hand to hand switch.

Two things different this time. 1) I used Dave Whitley's speed switch for snatches. See that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAehKPd-HU

2) I used a different rep scheme. I thought up and down the ladder would work better for me so I tried this: 7-8-9-8-7-6-5

Of course that's per hand so 7L 7R then 8L 8R etc.

This worked great for me. I found it motivating to have one fewer to do per set on the way down.

In the interest of full disclosure I didn't have it mentally to go through non stop today. After the 7's I put the bell down and took a 10-15 second breather before picking it up to finish.

Anyway, I'm happy with the result. Especially since I haven't been doing any specific snatch training for the past 6 weeks. Later in the fall I want to be able to go through non stop and get my time down.

sunstreaker

Good job!!

its also interesting to hear someone not use 10s as a minimum to complete the snatch test..

My best time was 4:54 but I did 10/10x3 5/5x4

TheMerryPup

Thanks! I want to try a similar scheme when I attempt the SSST. My idea is this:

7-8-9-10-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 = 100 (x 2) for 200 reps

Eventually I'd like to be able to do these tests with larger numbers per hand but right now that's too taxing for me. Doing it this way spreads the load between sides in a way I can handle right now. Well, I haven't attempted the SSST yet so I can't say I can handle THAT one yet.:)

Right now my stats are:

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 183 lbs

I want to attempt the SSST late next month before I turn 54. 53 lbs and all that.

D

David Whitley, RKC

I'll let you guys know up front that I'm not an RKC and I don't foresee going for it in the future, (no desire to teach). I just do kettlebells and bodyweight stuff to keep fit and stay healthy but I like challenges and the snatch test was something for me to shoot for.

Anyway, today I completed it in 4:55 with my DD 24kg bell. I tried it about 6 weeks ago and came in at 5:06. In that attempt I didn't put the bell down but I was doing the regular hand to hand switch.

Two things different this time. 1) I used Dave Whitley's speed switch for snatches. See that here:

2) I used a different rep scheme. I thought up and down the ladder would work better for me so I tried this: 7-8-9-8-7-6-5

This worked great for me. I found it motivating to have one fewer to do per set on the way down.

In the interest of full disclosure I didn't have it mentally to go through non stop today. After the 7's I put the bell down and took a 10-15 second breather before picking it up to finish.

Anyway, I'm happy with the result. Especially since I haven't been doing any specific snatch training for the past 6 weeks. Later in the fall I want to be able to go through non stop and get my time down.

Glad it helped. Having to count distracts me, but if it worked for you, that's awesome!

MilkManX

I did 200 with the 16kg this morning using the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 pyramid.

Makes it a bit easier but lots of hand switches. I may try another rep scheme. I do better if I get big reps out of the way earlier!

TheMerryPup

Outstanding MilkManX! I might do a test run a week or two before I attempt the SSST with the 16 or 20kg bell.

And Mr. Whitley sir, bow.gif

faizalenu

Really, the only thing that matters is keeping the bell up in the air. Why switch when you don't have to. Two mistakes a lot of people make:
* Don't assume that the reps have to be identical with each hand (e.g. Feel free to start with something like 15R/10L if you are better snatching on your right side).
* Don't switch unless the bell is slowing down. I think for time, bang out twoo long sets at the beginning, then just keep the bell in the air.
* Rest at the top. AT the RKC you had to be motionless at the top. I only had 3 hand switches (at 35, 70, and 85) and wasn't even breathing hard. Think of the snatch test as a series of singles.

TheMerryPup

Thanks for the tips Faizal! You said:

Why switch when you don't have to.

Right now I have to. I don't think I could go through the full 5 minutes if I fatigue myself during the first 'sets' per arm. But working toward more endurance in that regard is something I'll be training for.

Don't assume that the reps have to be identical with each hand. . .
I guess not, and I am stronger with my right as opposed to my left. But I like the symmetry of matching reps per side with a predetermined scheme. This way I know where I am and I find the diminishing reps per set a motivator to keep going.

Thanks again, Faizal!

sunstreaker

I always wondered about resting at the top if it was more beneficial than putting the bell down.. sorry for the ignorant question :)

TheMerryPup

I always wondered about resting at the top if it was more beneficial than putting the bell down.. sorry for the ignorant question :)
Actually, I wish I'd thought of that during the test!:p I'd have rested no more than two deep breaths and my time would have been a little better.

TheMerryPup

I meant resting at the top. Whenever I've used that in the past I've always rested just a beat or two before continuing. Putting it down, for me, gives license to take more time. At least I wind up taking more time. Resting at the top gives me a little break but with the bell right above my head I'm primed to get back to snatching faster than when I put it down.

sunstreaker

Got really intrigued and took this for a test drive: I did a 2 minute drill and got 50 9-8-8 in 1:56.. Tomorrow, I'll see how this goes for the full 5 minutes

faizalenu

Thanks for the tips Faizal! You said:

Right now I have to. I don't think I could go through the full 5 minutes if I fatigue myself during the first 'sets' per arm. But working toward more endurance in that regard is something I'll be training for.
==> Switch when the bell starts slowing down....you should be faster after the switch...

I guess not, and I am stronger with my right as opposed to my left. But I like the symmetry of matching reps per side with a predetermined scheme. This way I know where I am and I find the diminishing reps per set a motivator to keep going.
==> There is a difference between testing and training. Train symmetrically, test optimally for numbers.

BTW, I am personally starting to hate the snatch test.

sunstreaker

Got 4:40 although I used a different rep scheme (9-8-8-7-7-6-5)

took 1-2 breaths at the top as needed and set the bell down after the second set of 8 and the second set of 7

TheMerryPup

Got 4:40 although I used a different rep scheme (9-8-8-7-7-6-5)

took 1-2 breaths at the top as needed and set the bell down after the second set of 8 and the second set of 7
Good time! I'm going to give it another shot next week and I'm hoping to better my time down to just about 4:40. We'll see.

Steve W.

Keep in mind that the snatch test is a pass/fail competency test, not a contest or race. Don't sacrifice a full, momentarily motionless lockout in the pursuit of a fast time.

My goals in snatch test preparation are to be able to complete the test with a comfortable effort in the minimum time necessary, without rushing. To me, that means not putting the bell down, minimizing hand switches, not "resting" overhead for more time than is necessary to count as a valid rep, and not having to suffer much while doing it.

Practicing the test itself is fun, important for getting a feel for pacing and as a benchmark for progress, but not necessarily the best way to train for the test. There are lots of good training approaches, but two things I've found really helpful are building grip endurance, and doing a lot of work with heavier bells, snatching the 28 a lot and doing heavier one arm swings.

Grip endurance not only allows you to minimize hand switches, but also allows you to express full power on each rep. If my grip is fatigued, or I am worried about my grip fatiguing, it tends to inhibit the power I can put into each rep. Ever do one arm swings, start to get tired and slow down, put both hands on the bell and find your pace speeds up dramatically? Your hips didn't suddenly get less tired, but they weren't inhibited by a fatigued grip.

IMO, the speed switch shouldn't be necessary. If you NEED it to finish within 5 minutes, you are switching hands too often, putting the bell down too much, and/or taking too long between reps (slow cadence). It may have its place if you are chasing absolute speed, but it is difficult to execute smoothly. Most guys I've seen try it tend to get pulled forward and have all kinds of other slop. The guys who do it well definitely don't NEED it to complete the test on time.

Last edited:
Free Course