• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

So what about EXCERSICES for the LOWER BACK?

ironursus

Of everything I've read so far, I haven't seen anything for the lower back. I mean most programs are full body workouts anyway, yet we still do specific stuff for "bullet proof abs". What about the lower back?
I ask because since I've been introduced to Pavel and found myself in Hard-Style Heaven, I've recognized that my lower back is a weak or "sticky" spot (along with my shoulders, but that's a whole other ball o' wax). My abs and general core strength were pretty good when I started (the Janda sit-ups were not quite as challenging as I had originally anticipated...still love 'em and that's not to say that the other ab blasters haven't been a welcome challenge) but I tend to feel my lower back alot more after various excersices.
So what's out there, continuing along Pavel's path, that could help strengthen the lower back, to help it keep up with the abs of steel. Along with specifics like sets/reps/frequency......

.......anyone....anyone......anyone....anyone.....anyone....;)

D

David Whitley, RKC

couple of things

First...if Jandas are easy, you probably aren't doing them right.

Second, Straightleg, romainian DL and good mornings will stress the lower back more than conventioanl DL.

Deads, Stiff Legged deads, Hypers with weight...

Ironursus,
Lower back is hit by quite a few exercises. I am beginning to believe that many newer trainees hurt in the lumbar as much from "holding the arch" as from the exercise they are performing. I agree with Dave Whitley RKC that back pain from swings is a sign of faulty technique, but in newer trainees it can also be an indicator of using the lumbars in a new way for them. (Or even in more experienced trainees when moving up to a heavier bell or double swings, for example)

Lower back can be easily overtrained...high volume high intensity should be only an occasional thing...PTP protocol is far safer...take into account all the exercises that require a strong arch in the back and design your program accordingly.For example,I personally like to put pulls after squats so that the back is fresher for the technically more demanding squat. Chronic lower back discomfort or pain could mean injury or it might be simply overtraining.

Randy

ironursus

couple of things

Yeah, thats what I thought when I first started doing them. I had read the little tidbit about Pavel getting peoples names put on the Ab Pavelizer if they could do five (at some fitness convention). So later when I finally tried them, I did 5 and thought, "whoa, I must be doing something wrong, cause I just did them and it wasn't excrutiatingly difficult". So I read over BPA again (and again and again), doing strict, slow, controlled Janda sit-ups and was able to pop off 20 (just to test). Now I do three 3x5 every morning, I still get a good work out of them, but they're not so painful, that I don't enjoy them, like alot of the other ab excercises I was used to doing. I now look forward to doing abs.

Anyway, I hear ya!

And as to the Deadlifts, I'm doing the conventional Deadlift. Pavel's suggestion was to do Sumo's when it gets heavier, which I will be doing closer to the end of my cycle.

Zach Passman

Squat!!!

Did everyone forget about squatting?

It's not "isolation," but an exercise that isolates the lower back isn't going to be worth much.

Squatting is good for you all over. Your lower back will benefit greatly from proper squatting.

Squat, then put more weight on the bar, and squat some more. That, combined with being sensible--is a sure-fire way to get a stronger back.

Zach

Free Course