• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Tabata Intervals Rule!

Ross Hunt

I just did my first Tabata interval workout this morning on an erg (the track was treacherously icy).

5 minutes slow, 10x[20 seconds on, 10 seconds off], 5 minutes slow. Normally, whenever I do cardio, my pulse plummets like a frozen albatross as soon as I hit the rest period. I took my pulse as soon as I climbed off the machine and found it still pounding along at a rate of about 30 beats/ 10 seconds. If anyone who likes aerobic/anaerobic conditioning hasn't tried these, give 'em a whirl - on a track, on an erg, with KBs, whatever. They're great.

Still Psyched,

Orestes122484

Stephen Troy

You should be wrecked

I don't mean to argue, but Tabata himself has expressed some puzzlement about whether athletes who enjoy doing this are doing it correctly. In his study, Olympic medalists were left lying on the floor from exhaustion from doing Tabata intervals. You don't mention how you felt afterwards, so I don't know, but there's a pretty big jump between standard interval training, which is still great, and Tabata intervals, which are absolute pukers for people who already have an extremely high work capacity.

D. Green

Re: You should be wrecked

Stephen,
I do something similar in my kayak. Sets of 33 strokes on/19off. These are done all out for the on portion. This time of year, I'm doing 6 or 7 sets, never over 10. In summer I might do 2x10x33/19. I have even done 24x33/19 at once. It usually doesn't hit me until that evening or the next day. Would these be considered Tabata type intervals?

Dwan Green

Stephen Troy

Here's a Tabata reference

I had a wrestling coach put me through them once, but I wasn't really thinking clearly...

Here's a link to Clarence Bass's article which is the Tabata overview other American authors seem to reference a lot. Note that Tabata calls for interval training five days a week:
http://www.cbass.com/Tabata_GXP.htm

D. Green

Re: Here's a Tabata reference

Stephen,
Thanks for the info, I'm home with the flu, so I will have time to check it out. I couldn't do my boat intervals five days a week, 3 is max.

Dwan

Free Course