• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

TGU: How much and how often until diminishing returns?

Chris Hansen

The tgu seems to be really good for my shoulder so I want to work on it as much as is useful. Is there a certain point of optimal benefit from the exercise in terms of volume and frequency?

Thanks

bwwm

You could start with the program minimum and decided from there to increase or decrease the volume/frequency based on your goals/needs, etc.

Brooklyn86

I apologize in advance if I come off like a smart ass, but that's like asking how long your going to walk for. As long as possible.

BJones RKC

a better way to approach this question

How are you using the Get-up now?
Weight
Reps
sets
frequency
etc...

What is your total training volume?
Frequency, intensity, volume etc...

Are you coming back from injury etc...?

Chris Hansen

a better way to approach this question

How are you using the Get-up now?
Mostly practice. Specifically, shoulder positioning on the support arm and strengthening the muscles involved. And keeping the upper trap from trying to do the work.

I've been alternating right and left sides with the 16k until I get tired a couple times per week.

BJones RKC

Chris,
Too vague
How many reps = "I get tired"?

For now all I can recommend is that you continue your practice and work towards being able to do 5 full reps right and left as a single set but without the other information that is all I can do.

ad5ly

A TGU from start to finish is about 30-45 seconds - 1 rep. So 5 reps left and right with a few moments for rest gets you to about 12 minutes or more. Not bad for one drill. A full body movement with many complex movements within it which require and demand complete attention and mental concentration to make it "perfect". For me I am done when I lose that focus. 5-8 reps for me is about it. If you can do 20 then thats where you are. But 5 is fine. Quality over quantity rules. And that is all (5 -8 reps) i feel i need. Other factors is if the TGU goal is for strength (heavy) or improved mobility and body awareness (light)..Dennis

Steve Freides

The tgu seems to be really good for my shoulder so I want to work on it as much as is useful. Is there a certain point of optimal benefit from the exercise in terms of volume and frequency.
Chris, how you asked your question is worth commenting on.

If you substitute any other exercise for the getup, you could have asked the same question, e.g., what's the point of optimum benefit in terms of volume and frequency for the barbell back squat? There's simply no one right answer to any question like this because the biggest missing piece of information is your goals - if we don't know what you're trying to accomplish, then we can't get a sense of where the getup might fit into that picture.

To use myself as an example, I've recently started competing as a powerlifter again - you'd be amazed what having a meet a few months down the road does for the focus of your training. I've got very specific goals - I want to post a bigger number of each of my three lifts on November 4 than I posted on July 8, all while continuing to at least maintain and hopefully improve on my basic mobility and joint health. I ask you - put into a single sentence what you're trying to accomplish and where you see the getup fitting in and then we can comment on what might work best for you.

If the getup for you is nothing other than keeping your shoulder healthy, then I'd say keep the weight light to moderate, the frequency moderate to high, but keep varying both those things by finding a cyclice approach, e.g., do bw-only getups or very light ones every day near the beginning of your day or your workout, and a couple of times a year, plug a moderate to heavy weighted getup into your training cycle for a period of one to three months.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

bigwood177

Good question, Chris, and something I've wondered about, too.

I remember reading a post on the forum some time ago about the length of rest between workouts.
There was a post to the effect: "I grew up on a farm where I lifted and tossed bails of hay every day and didn't suffer from not resting every other day."
To which someone replied, "Yeah, you could lift every day, but why would you want to?"

Which, to me anyway, raises the question, in general is there an optimum amount of exercise?
If you're doing get-ups, do you get 80% of the benefit after 5 reps and then diminishing returns after that, or do the benefits of lifting continue in a straight line?

I've often wondered "what's the minimum you can do and get good results?" and "what's the incremental benefit of continuing beyond that point?

Or, to put it another way, what's the 20% of effort that yields that 80% of the results.

Or, maybe I've missed the OP's point entirely.

Wood

JSStevensRKC

Similar to what Brett Jones said I've always made three to five continuous reps (without setting the bell down) my goal before progressing to the next bell.

Goal 1: 3 to 5 partial getups to elbow
Goal 2: 3 to 5 partial getups to palm
Goal 3: 3 to 5 partial getups to kneeling windmill
Goal 4: 3 to 5 partial getups to kneeling lunge
Goal 5: 3 to 5 full getups

Sometimes I work it like this
Goal 1: 3 to 5 partial getups to elbow
Goal 2: 3 to 5 partial reverse getups from standing to kneeling lunge
Goal 3: 3 to 5 partial getups to palm
Goal 4: 3 to 5 partial reverse getups from standing to kneeling windmill
Goal 5: 3 to 5 full getups

but I always make 3 to 5 continuous full getups my final step before moving to the next bell.

ad5ly

JSStevensRKC,

I LIKE THAT TEMPLATE! I have just finished up my 8 weeks of EDT and am into the one week of rest to be followed up by the 3x5 program for 4 weeks then back to EDT for another go. BUT I am now going to replace the 3x5 program with what you just showed us. I love doing tgus now and your progression for it looks very promising. Can't wait to do it! thanks..Dennis

Chris Hansen

Chris,
Too vague
How many reps = "I get tired"?

For now all I can recommend is that you continue your practice and work towards being able to do 5 full reps right and left as a single set but without the other information that is all I can do.
Oh, sorry.

I get to about 4 reps per arm, switching every rep, until I start getting tired. That's the point were the left shoulder starts to feel like it might lose structural integrity while acting as the support arm.

Later in the day, I don't feel sore or fatigued at all. I feel like I can do it every day but am not sure if I should.

I'll start working on multiple reps per arm. It's nice to have a more specific goal to work towards. Would that be with arm straight through the whole set?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BillLumbergRKC

what are you trying to accomplish with tgus? shoulder rehab/prehab? do you want to make this one of your primary "pet" lifts for some reason (grappling maybe, or maybe you just dig tgus) or maybe you want it to be an auxiliary lift used to identify and shore up weak links?

Chris Hansen

what are you trying to accomplish with tgus? shoulder rehab/prehab? do you want to make this one of your primary "pet" lifts for some reason (grappling maybe, or maybe you just dig tgus) or maybe you want it to be an auxiliary lift used to identify and shore up weak links?
My shoulder rehab is at the point where tgus are a useful exercise. I'm a bit upper trap dominant but we got the middle and lower traps to start firing again and I'd like to use tgus to 'practice' correct shoulder position and strengthen the muscles involved.

faizalenu

The tgu seems to be really good for my shoulder so I want to work on it as much as is useful. Is there a certain point of optimal benefit from the exercise in terms of volume and frequency?

Thanks

Yes there is a point, only you can answer that question.

I will say this, if you are getting tired, it is probably not optimal.
1) In terms of what is optimal (which I don't know how you know that until you go past that point, but whatever), it depends on what you are doing it for:
* If you are training for strength, lifts should be getting heavier and/or the same weights should be getting easier.
* If you are training to open up the shoulder (mobility/assistance work), then once it is open, stop.....
==> Again, this guideline is purposely arbitrary because any specific numbers depend on the person. For me, a shoulder open would be 32kg x 12 x 1/1 in about 12:00. Strength work would be 40-48kg x 8 x 1/1, your mileage may vary.

taikei

5 rep max weight, 5 reps for 10 sets on each side gave me a slight elbow pain. This was 6 years ago.

Arm bar and bent arm bar seems to work for me. Bretzel's another choice.

danfaz

This thread inspired me to do some getups last night (haven't done em for a while). Just did one rep on each arm with a 16, 24, and 32. Felt great, and I could feel all my little stabilizer muscles activate, and some creaky joints open up =)

Free Course