• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

The Rewards of Thick-Bar Training

Dano

I'm amazed at the dramatic improvements in muscle density and even growth I have experienced from little more then a week and a half of using my new Farmer bar. I utilize it mainly for the side/bent presses and holds(for the grip). Even though I have kept the weight constant at 72-pounds, I progress every session. The control required to lift it overhead is amazing. I admire the quick lifts for their precision and skill, but nothing impresses me more then shouldering a heavy weight and grinding it to lockout. The same goes for any lift that requires you to fight and plow through a repetition like your life depended on it. Good stuff!

Dano

Kenneth2

Doing any farmer walks with the farmer bar?

Without the add on handles, the farmer bar looks like it would be a real beast for doing farmer walks.

greggrh

Great job, Dano!! Upending and shouldering so short a bar would be very difficult, especially for a tallish looking guy like you.

I was looking at my Farmer the other day but have trouble visualizing upending and shouldering it without bashing myself with the plates. Have you been able to get your pressing arm back far enough to prevent this?

Thanks,

Comrade greggh

Dano

Comrade Greggh....

Thanks for the reply! Getting the bar up and down from my shoulder is a bitch! I'm actually only 5'7", but the bar is only 33" so that means I can't just let it rock to my shoulder like you could w/ a 7' bar. I just grab that bad boy in the middle w/ both hands and swing/heave it to my shoulder and plant my elbow in my hip as quickly as I can. I haven't had any problems w/ getting whacked by the plates, though.

I did a spontaneous bent press session after I made the original post and I put up 92-pounds fairly "easily". Its not that the weight gets me but trying to keep that think in your hand w/ that fat handle is a pain! Getting it down is even worse. I may have to get a spotter or go outside when I go for really heavy weights. Being able to dump that thing without causing massive trauma to my dorm room floor would be a good thing.

Regards,

Dano

Dano

Re: Doing any farmer walks with the farmer bar?

I haven't done Farmer walks but I have been doing holds. I basically do a straddle one-arm deadlift w/ my nonlifting hand pressed against my leg, lift the weight off the ground and hold it for time. Excellent grip worker!

Dano

greggrh

Re: Comrade Greggh....

Dano:

Your experience has inspired me to try side-pressing with my Farmer. The necessity to swing/heave it into position means more work for the stabilizers, and the thick handle more work for the grip/forearms, than with a 7" bar. After several months' work with the Farmer, you'll probably be able to bent press impressive poundages with the 7 footer.

Comrade greggh

P.S. Where do you go to school, and what's your major? I teach English composition at Eastern Michigan University.

Dano

Re: Comrade Greggh....

Its definitely a bear to press! It will take a little time to get used to using a bar as opposed to a kettlebell.

I go to school at the University of Idaho in Moscow, ID. I'm a Junior majoring in Dietetics. I just finished the application process to enter the Coordinated Program in Dietetics here at the University. Its a fully accredited program, certified by the American Dietetics Association. I will be hearing this week if I got in or not!

Dano

Free Course