• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Tight IT bands when squatting

iodinegrowth7

I have some serious tightness in both IT bands when squatting, and just in general.

I've tried stretching them with the stretch from relax into stretch, and a few others but none of them have really worked. Additionally i have stretched the hell out of my hip flexors which helped but didnt completely solve the problem.

What I think actually might be the issue, is tightness in my upper glutes. I've read that the upper glutes play a large part in abduction. What has helped me the most has actually been using a golf ball to release some of the tension in my upper glutes, by finding a sore spot and having someone push my legs into a glute-stretching position. God it hurts like hell.

However, i haven't really been able to get all the tension, or even closse to all of it. Would ART be a good idea? I've heard great things about it, except for the price (broke college student).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks comrades, hardstyle for life

R

rifstonian

I have some serious tightness in both IT bands when squatting, and just in general.

I've tried stretching them with the stretch from relax into stretch, and a few others but none of them have really worked. Additionally i have stretched the hell out of my hip flexors which helped but didnt completely solve the problem.

What I think actually might be the issue, is tightness in my upper glutes. I've read that the upper glutes play a large part in abduction. What has helped me the most has actually been using a golf ball to release some of the tension in my upper glutes, by finding a sore spot and having someone push my legs into a glute-stretching position. God it hurts like hell.

However, i haven't really been able to get all the tension, or even closse to all of it. Would ART be a good idea? I've heard great things about it, except for the price (broke college student).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks comrades, hardstyle for life

I've found the foam roller works better than anything on these. the high density ones last the longest but may be too intense to start with.

iodinegrowth7

Yeah I actually have a eh medium density ish one that i think has become a low one by now. It kinda stopped being effective but i now realize it is alot softer than it used to be, maybe getting a new harder one would help.

Thanks, rif

iodinegrowth7

Yeah I actually have a eh medium density ish one that i think has become a low one by now. It kinda stopped being effective but i now realize it is alot softer than it used to be, maybe getting a new harder one would help.

Thanks, rif

R

rifstonian

Does anyone know of who the decent brands or suppliers of foam rollers in North America are?

Just received this yesterday and it is hands down the best foam roller I have used and I have had one in my gym for 12 years plus
RumbleRoller Home

it's expensive but it's awesome.

Vlad,

check out Fitter First at fitter1.com or just use Amazon and type in foam roller.

Kai Johnson

Just received this yesterday and it is hands down the best foam roller I have used and I have had one in my gym for 12 years plus
RumbleRoller Home

it's expensive but it's awesome.

Vlad,

check out Fitter First at fitter1.com or just use Amazon and type in foam roller.

Wow...that looks pretty awesome. I'm gonna have to grab one of those when I can. Thanks for the link Rif.

A big part of my recovering from the beat down that the hip replacement put on my body was foam rolling...It band, quads, hamstrings, adductors. I'm a fan. It's also GREAT for your lats when they start feeling overly tight.

Thanks Rif for the link; I'm definitely buying. And, by the way, who has the best DVD guide to using a Foam Roller is it Rif's Correctives DVD here from Dragon Door?

mc

have you considered why your various bits are tight?

perhaps dealing with that more systemically might mean that the cause is treated rather than the symptom?

mc

R

rifstonian

Wow...that looks pretty awesome. I'm gonna have to grab one of those when I can. Thanks for the link Rif.

A big part of my recovering from the beat down that the hip replacement put on my body was foam rolling...It band, quads, hamstrings, adductors. I'm a fan. It's also GREAT for your lats when they start feeling overly tight.

Kai,

dude, you are going to LOVE this thing. It puts foam rolling onto another level.

R

rifstonian

perhaps dealing with that more systemically might mean that the cause is treated rather than the symptom?

mc

mc

most athletes 'bits' are tight in some places because they train hard and frequently, and or compete. It's not unusual. what would be unusual would be competitive athletes who push themselves to their limits and whose bits are not tight.

R

rifstonian

mc

mc,

also, riddle me this; do professional cyclists, who get daily massage on their legs for hours, need to look at what they are doing to be tight more systemically? Or could it be the 8 hours a day of cycling their sport/profession requires.

lencoo12

Thanks, rif
Does anyone know of who the decent brands or suppliers of foam rollers in North America are?

Kai Johnson

mc

My various "bits" are much less tight after having really worked them with the roller and also hitting regular stretching. It's no mystery to me why I had tightness. 3 surgeries last year - hip replacement and each knee had torn meniscus from badly compromised movement from my hip before it got fixed. I was going around (and training on) a partially collapsed head of my femur before I got fixed - the cartilage was peeling off the dying bone - bad stuff. The surgery is pretty brutal also if you are familiar with it. Clamps pulling the muscles apart, sawing the top of the femur off, etc.

The rolling I've done has been awesome and the results have been very good. It's not like if I stop rolling that all of a sudden I'm back to how I was just after my surgery. It's been a big part of my recovery in conjunction with the stretching I was doing.

That said Jordan is becoming familiar with Z health and is going to share some of that voodoo with me to see if it will help me even more.

R

rifstonian

My various "bits" are much less tight after having really worked them with the roller and also hitting regular stretching. It's no mystery to me why I had tightness. 3 surgeries last year - hip replacement and each knee had torn meniscus from badly compromised movement from my hip before it got fixed. I was going around (and training on) a partially collapsed head of my femur before I got fixed - the cartilage was peeling off the dying bone - bad stuff. The surgery is pretty brutal also if you are familiar with it. Clamps pulling the muscles apart, sawing the top of the femur off, etc.

The rolling I've done has been awesome and the results have been very good. It's not like if I stop rolling that all of a sudden I'm back to how I was just after my surgery. It's been a big part of my recovery in conjunction with the stretching I was doing.

That said Jordan is becoming familiar with Z health and is going to share some of that voodoo with me to see if it will help me even more.

Kai,

I did R phase drills for two years religously while also using the roller. IMHO there is no way Z drills are going to remove the need for using the roller, massage or ART work on very tight dense muscle tissue.

Steve Freides

Comrade iodinegrowth, in addition to all the very good suggestions you've received, allow me to add one more - try some one-legged work if you haven't already. Nothing difficult or too fancy to start with, e.g., just stand on one leg and move the other leg around. Go for gently rooting yourself into the ground rather than trying to balance - it's an important distinction.

Consider also something like John DuCane's "Serenity Qigong" DVD available here or another "soft" kind of practice.

-S-
KBNJ.COM - Steve Freides, RKC Team Leader

iodinegrowth7

mc

Hmm, like I said, strechingg my glutes and also calves now that I think of it helped somewhat, although the relief was rather temporary. I do have some neck issues also i was thinking it could have something to do with superficial back fascia line but idk.

What would you suggest? You have any experience with chyropractors?

R

rifstonian

For those with foam rolling under their belts, you'll get a lot more mileage from a pvc pipe

wyatt

I've used pvc pipe and this rumble roller is way better for me. the inidvidual knobs increase the pressure per square inch and really 'knead' the tissue. amazing. Now I've got to buy one for my home too.

Free Course