• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

To Pavel and the Party

SimonB

Both Brooks Kubik and Joseph Curtis Hise talk about "round back lifting" in their books and highly recommend it. What do you think about that Pavel? I mean, I know what you have written and I know what you recommend but I know that you recommend Dinosaur Training too but your words don't go togheter with theirs. Thanks a lot for an answer! Simona GWKBR!

Stephen Troy

Good for intermediate lifters & grapplers

This is a good exercise because it has exellent carryover to real life picking-up-heavy-things and wrestling sports. Picking up most bulky objects or unwilling opponents doesn't usually allow you to lift with good form and a straight back. For people who want that carryover, odd object lifting with things like sandbags can be a good idea. Steve Maxwell's website has a cool article on sandbag training.

However, there is the obvious risk of injury for newcomers. I would say anybody wanting to do this should build up significant back strength first with traditional exercises, and then ease in with rounded back exercises with fairly light weight. Heavy enough to respect for intermediates, so they keep their tension and don't get hurt, but light relative to their straight back lifts.

I think there is limited need for most people to develop this kind of strength these days, unless they perform manual labor for a living or want to be a strongman. Most people would be better served developing a lot of strength from deadlifts, since somebody who can DL 400 pounds can pick up a 100 pound object with a slightly rounded back without much trouble. Few people need to be able to lift more than that.

Free Course