• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

VWC mVO2 MP3 Timers

kbSagoo

Last year I read a blog post by Boris Bachman about how he was perfoming kettlebell snatches using the beep or bleep test. He would perform a snatch, lockout and wait for the beep to perform the next rep. Over the course of the test, the spacing of the beeps would decrease resulting in an increasing pace.

Using this as inspiration, I created some timers I have been using for my Viking Warrior Conditioning workouts. The beeps are set an equidistant apart based on what one's cMVO2 test score is. This has helped me maintain a consistent pace in my workout.

The timers can be overlayed to music files if you know how to use an mp3 editor (Audacity is what I use). Also you can edit the files to work in blocks of time to maximize volume. For example I currently am doing 50 rounds of 6, my timer is setup to do 30 rounds first, 1 minute rest, then 2 blocks of 10 rounds, each block seperated by 1 min rest. Each workout I move 2 rounds up until I can work the full 50 rounds without break.

I currently have timers for the cMVO2 and 80 rounds of the 15:15 protocol for 5,6,7,8 and 9 reps per round. Here are the links for these timers if anyone is interested:

cMVO2 Timer
The timer starts with a long tone signifying the test will begin in a couple of seconds and then you will hear 3 consecutive beeps, perform the first snatch, rest in lockout, perform another rep at the sound of each single beep.
The next 3 consecutive beeps signal the start of the next minute, this is where you switch hands and snatch, then perform a rep at each single beep.
Keep doing this until the start of the 5th minute and go all out till the end of the last minute signaled by a long tone.

MVO2 Training Timers, 15/15 protocol, 80 rounds
5 reps
6 reps
7 reps
8 reps
9 reps

MVO2 Training Timers, 36/36 protocol, 35 rounds
15 reps
16 reps
17 reps
18 reps
19 reps
20 reps
21 reps

These timers begins with a long tone signyfying the timer will begin shortly. When you hear a single beep, snatch, lockout and wait for the next tone to perform the next rep. 3 consecutive beeps signify the end of the 15 seconds (or 36 seconds), 10 seconds (or 31 seconds) after that you will hear a long tone warning you the next round will begin in 5 seconds. So get done cussing your bell (or whatever active rest you enjoy doing) and setup for the next round. 6 long tones means that you have completed all 80 rounds (or 35 rounds with 36/36).

Feel free to use these files, edit them, share them etc...

Paul

Last edited:

deanmc

Brilliant, I was just doing the CMVO2 this morning, thinking about how something like this would be a great help.

Dak Ink

It is all good.Have you thought about cutting the bitrate to like 64, it would cut the file sizes in half( faster downloads and less bandwidth for your hosting) and for tones it wouldnt make any noticeable difference in quality.Just a thought.

bellhead

Awesome

It's great to see something on here that is genuinely helpful and doesn't cost any money.

Not sure if this forum is just another Pav Money maker.

Thanks very much.

Dak Ink

The forums in general are full of free advice and the people on them are quite helpful.Just because people dont give everything away for free doesnt make them greedy bastards.

Angry Jim

Ok now someone needs to whip up a Javascript page sort of like that speedbag forum timer that will allow us to customize this.

JasonL.Ac.

Thank you very much for creating and posting this; however, can someone help me figure out how to make it work? I went to the website, created an account, saved it to "my files' on the website, but can't figure out from there how to play the MP3.

Maybe I need to buy a clock with a second hand after all...

kbSagoo

Thank you very much for creating and posting this; however, can someone help me figure out how to make it work? I went to the website, created an account, saved it to "my files' on the website, but can't figure out from there how to play the MP3.

Maybe I need to buy a clock with a second hand after all...

The mediafire hosting site is kind of hard to navigate, but it was free to host the files. Anyway, when you click on the links I provided, you are taken to mediafire for the file you selected. Look for a link that says "Click here to start download.." on the left had side above the center of the screen. Clicking that will allow you to download the file to your hard drive.

Dak Ink

If you still cant figure it out I can probably host whichever file you need for a few days as well( but mine would be the 64 bitrate one...) just speak up

greg57

I used it yesterday, it worked great. it is good for pacing. I did 22 sets of 7 with a 20kg bell, until a blister opened up :(

Ideal Paradigm

Comrade kbSagoo:

I'm going to go ahead and post the link to this thread in the FAQ in the post that is dedicated to the Viking Warrior Conditioning. Thanks for all of your hard work in making this possible.

When you come out with the 36:36 protocol timers, will you post that in a separate thread or will you simply just edit the first post in this thread (I think the latter idea is better, but it's up to you)?

sunflower

Giving up my gloves!

When I originally started in kettlebells I did not use gloves and really mangled my hands, so I started wearing leather lifting gloves for snatches and swings with heavy weights. This allowed me to continue working with the kettle bells, but at a certain point it became a crutch. SO, because I think my form is much better now, and my hands have a pretty good callus base, I am weening myself from the gloves.

Yesterday during 36:36 VO2Max I did eight sets without gloves, then continued with gloves. My hands stayed intact. I plan on increasing the amount of sets without gloves each time, until I ween myself and they are GONE from my life.

I plan on being "glove free" within one month. (I am not ready to give up the tape yet....because I NEED it :p)

Wish me luck! Any helpful advice, please share :)

kbSagoo

Comrade kbSagoo:

I'm going to go ahead and post the link to this thread in the FAQ in the post that is dedicated to the Viking Warrior Conditioning. Thanks for all of your hard work in making this possible.

When you come out with the 36:36 protocol timers, will you post that in a separate thread or will you simply just edit the first post in this thread (I think the latter idea is better, but it's up to you)?

Wow, I feel privleged that I am able to contribute the FAQ. Thanks for creating and maintaining it com Ideal Paradigm.

When I create the 36:36 timers, I'll edit my first post in this thread to add the links. I also need to edit the links for the 15:15s to have them as 64k br to decrease the file size per Dak Ink's suggestion.

Free Course