• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

Why isnt Kettlebell Sport an Olympic sport?

SPH-NW

So in case you didn't know the Summer Olympics are coming up soon. And Im wondering why some sports are included and some aren't. Did you know there are 3 differernt equestrain sports? And how is Badminton an olympic sport? WTH
So why isn't Kettlebell sport (GS) an Olympic sport? IDK maybe there is a petition going that I dont know about. I know they have the clean and jerk and the snatch as Olympic events. I feel its not the same. I believe Pavel mentioned a comparison in one of his books (I can't remember of which one) that Kettlbell lifting is more of a working mans sport. I think it could have more appeal to a greater number of people than say synchronized swimming. I know its only been popular for a few years and it takes a long time to become a Olympic sport and im just complaining to soon. IDK What do you think?

ozarkdude4

Could you imagine how long the Olympics would be if every sport was included that is considered a sport by anyone? I know there is some stupid sports in the Olympics but that is my opinion and they must have some good pull to get in the Games.

rwrjr

There are lots of reasons GS isn't an Olympic sport. The first that comes to my mind is in the world of all sports GS is pretty small. The second and maybe more important is that I believe many viewers would find it just plain boring. Who wants to watch somebody perform the same movement over and over again for 10 solid minutes like some sort of robots. You might as well watch paint dry. I like, own, and use KBs and even I wouldn't watch a GS competition. I'm afraid there just isn't enough competitive drama to make it a viewer sponsored sport.

Spikeman1444

When I first saw this post, I thought of a Fantasy GS league.... lol Oh man I just traded Shannahan for Pavel, best trade ever!!!!!!

fatman

There are lots of reasons GS isn't an Olympic sport. The first that comes to my mind is in the world of all sports GS is pretty small. The second and maybe more important is that I believe many viewers would find it just plain boring. Who wants to watch somebody perform the same movement over and over again for 10 solid minutes like some sort of robots. You might as well watch paint dry. I like, own, and use KBs and even I wouldn't watch a GS competition. I'm afraid there just isn't enough competitive drama to make it a viewer sponsored sport.

Fringe sports need to have really good backing to get into the Olympics program. The country hosting the Olympics used to have the right to propose one of its "national" sports for inclusion, not sure if they still do this (e.g. Korea proposed taekwondo in the 1980s and it's been an Oly sport ever since). So maybe in the Moscow Olympics... who knows...

forth

As fatman says there is seldom any place for fringe sports in the Olympics. And also with the number of sports for the summer olympics being capped at 28 there is quite some competition.

"In order for a sport or discipline to be considered for inclusion in the list of Summer Olympics sports, it must be widely practiced in at least 75 countries, spread over four continents." and that is most certainly not the case for GS. I don't think there is even one country where it is widely practiced.

Yesterday when I was at work myself and some other guys were talking about certain sports getting in and get this that there are people trying to get race car driving, poker and even video game playing in the Olympics.

Just imagine the day when X-box is now an Olympic sport.

SPH-NW

"In order for a sport or discipline to be considered for inclusion in the list of Summer Olympics sports, it must be widely practiced in at least 75 countries, spread over four continents." and that is most certainly not the case for GS. I don't think there is even one country where it is widely practiced.
But 3 different equestrian "sports" are?
And how many differtent sailing sports are there in the olympics like 5?
The second and maybe more important is that I believe many viewers would find it just plain boring. Who wants to watch somebody perform the same movement over and over again for 10 solid minutes like some sort of robots. You might as well watch paint dry
And watching people running a marathon isnt?
IDK im probably just complaining that the whole olympic sport institution seems elitist.

ad5ly

It is not now but could be at some future point. I think that there are still many people who never heard of kettlebell trng. I believe most people on this forum would welcome the idea of kbs in the olympics. But just because we think it be a great idea does not qualify it for world wide exceptance. Just because it happened ( the kettlebell experience) to us does not neccessarily make it interesting for everyone else. One sport I don't understand that made it into the o-games is (FORGIVE ME CANADA!) "Curling" How does that float someones boat?

I don't think that I will ever lose sleep if kb sport is not recognised by the powers that be for acceptance into the olympics. The fact that I do it and enjoy it is all I will ever need..Dennis

rwrjr

One sport I don't understand that made it into the o-games is (FORGIVE ME CANADA!) "Curling" How does that float someones boat?

I'd be surprised if the 75 countries over four continents metric applies to curling. The bar must be lower, much lower, for the Winter Olympics.

You just can imagine that curling started with a bunch of guys at a frozen lake when one of them says "Here, hold my beer."

green

But 3 different equestrian "sports" are?
And how many differtent sailing sports are there in the olympics like 5?

Yes they are. So is sailing. Both widely practiced and spread over 4 continents.

I agree that GS would be a good olympic event. And they wouldn't even need to add sports, since GS could be a discipline under weightlifting.

fatman

I'd be surprised if the 75 countries over four continents metric applies to curling. The bar must be lower, much lower, for the Winter Olympics.

You just can imagine that curling started with a bunch of guys at a frozen lake when one of them says "Here, hold my beer."

Curling is quite popular in Europe, and the Winter Olympics do have more lax standards (hence the inclusion of activities like snowboarding).

And seeing as curling was invented by Scots many years ago, you're probably spot on as to the origin of the sport :)

Yes they are. So is sailing. Both widely practiced and spread over 4 continents.

I agree that GS would be a good olympic event. And they wouldn't even need to add sports, since GS could be a discipline under weightlifting.

We really don't need to make weightlifting even less about strength. If we are going to add to it then add the bench press (or put the press back where it was).

JasonL.Ac.

You know, I practice judo, and many judo players will tell you that judo becoming an olympic sport was the worst thing that ever happened to it. I saw a discussion on a kendo (Japanese fencing) forum once about the possibility of kendo (which is MUCH more popular over MUCH more of the world than GS) becoming on olympic sport. The response was overwhelmingly "hell no we don't want that; look what happened to judo".

It wouldn't neccesarily be a good thing for GS.

You know, I practice judo, and many judo players will tell you that judo becoming an olympic sport was the worst thing that ever happened to it. I saw a discussion on a kendo (Japanese fencing) forum once about the possibility of kendo (which is MUCH more popular over MUCH more of the world than GS) becoming on olympic sport. The response was overwhelmingly "hell no we don't want that; look what happened to judo".

It wouldn't neccesarily be a good thing for GS.

I don't understand why do you and others think Judo becoming part of the Olympics is a bad thing?

JasonL.Ac.

I don't understand why do you and others think Judo becoming part of the Olympics is a bad thing?

There have been (and are ongoing) hundreds of pages of threads on this on other forums...the super short version without getting into technical judo terminology (PM me if you want these gory details):

1. Changing of contest rules, which affects judo throughout the world down to the smallest grass-roots level, not for the better (this comes with being an olympic sport; don't think you can just do things differently if your serious about your sport becoming an olympic one).

2. Removal of perfectly good and viable judo techniques, for reasons not applicable to 99% of the judoka of the world.

3. Following on the heels of one and two, making judo less applicable in terms of crossover to other grappling and combat sports (sambo, wrestling, bjj, shooto, sanda, mma, etc).

4. Gamesmanship to take advantage of loopholes in the rules leading to ugly judo, which trickles all the way down.

5. Moving judo away from being a multi-faceted, well rounded pursuit, where contest was an important part but not the only part, to focus on nothing but medaling. Likewise, increasing emphasis on weight classes moving it away from its origin as a means for overcome size and strength through superior skill and technique.

6. On and on and on, etc, ad nauseam. Without getting into technical stuff beyond the scope of this forum, there's lots more people argue about on the internet that stems from all of the above.

Note that judo has been in the games for quite a while, so we've had a while to form our opinions, it's not women's saber fencing (which, for the record, is awesome).

While I'm off topic, I think there should be the same 3 combat sports in the modern olympics as in the ancient ones: boxing, wrestling, and pankration (MMA). Dragging myself slightly back on topic, I still think raw powerlifting should be an olympic sport (which I posted a thread on here about years ago; the response was "never going to happen". Want to guess which is more popular and widely practiced, GS or powerlifting?

SPH-NW

I also would like to see other working mans sports, BJJ , submission wrestling, MMA. But as far as GS goes your right it probably is a fringe sport.

I would think power lifting before GS, should be included in the olympics.

And I agree Jason, the olympics are not good for any martial arts.
It turns them into martial sports.
Even MMA as a sport has eliminated most of the real effective techniques to prevent injury to the players. In real self defense, you fight the way you train.

I'd like to see new multi events Like but different from the decathlon.
Al

jetronin

Kettlebell sport, Strongman and MMA should, in my opinion, be Olympic sports.
Golf and darts made it onto the list........

Free Course