• If this is your first visit, please visit the FAQ. Please register before posting. To start viewing messages, select a forum below.
The world’s premier network for those seeking to share and discuss high-impact,high results, super practical information for the developmentof superiorphysical performance.

will decrease in volume lead to decrease in muscle size?

hallenbeck

no one did answered my last post so i'll simplify it a little...

when you come off a program like bear (high volume) and go on a PTP style workout (low volume, high intensity), would the decrease in total volume lead to a decrease in muscle mass that you gained? (considering you are starting at about 75% 1RM for PTP cycle)

MikeTheBear

Like Pavel says in PTP: "If you can find a better deal....

than periodization, I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge." Something like that - I was too lazy to open the book.

Alternating between Bear and basic PTP is essentially classic periodization. With Bear, you build up volume + intensity. Obviously, you cannot keep this up forever - if you could we'd all be able to squat 2,000 lbs. (another of Pavel's quotes). After a while you need to back off or "unload." That's where basic PTP comes in. After hitting a new 5RM on your Bear cycle (which hopefully you did) and doing lots of volume at a high intensity on your "Bear" sets, you back off to 75% 1RM. This gives your body a break and allows you to continue to make gains. Once done with PTP, go back to another Bear cycle.

Short anwer - you won't lose mass - the PTP cycle will only enhance your gains.

tont kawalski

Yes, if it happens for an extended amount of time,but I think it is a good idea to cycle bear with ptp ever two to four weeks. eat eat eat quality foods and keep the bear frequency at one to two days a week and you should keep that mass.

D. Green

Comrade hallenbeck,
The only way you loose your gains is if you stop training. P2P will let you recover & probably up your lifts due to more rest between sets. I'm 3x your age & gain a little size on P2P, when my kayak miles go down in winter. Good luck.

Dwan Green

hallenbeck

but what if i am happy with my mass now?

i am 73kg, and my weight class limit is 75kg. my goal now is to keep my mass and increase on strength as much as possible on the 3 powerlifts. so should i still go on a bear cycle after the PTP cycle?

tont kawalski

Re: but what if i am happy with my mass now?

It looks like you have few pounds to play with, I would push the b.w right to the edge of the mark. you could stick to ptp until you look weeker and stomp your aponents ego's at the meat. dont worry be happy.

MikeTheBear

In that case...

Just keep doing basic PTP cycles. Because the cycles start at about 75% 1RM, doing cycles of PTP over and over will generally self-periodize.

I don't imagine you'll lose mass. If you do experience a loss of mass you can always go back on a Bear cycle.

Now and then you'll want to throw in a more advanced "shock" program such as Smolov to keep from getting stale and to jump start your gains. Doing an RKC cycle now and then will work on speed strength.

chris m.

Re: you will have to go back to high volume and you will have to continue to eat a lo

When you put on more mass, you have to eat enough to fuel the new mass. This is my problem--I usually don't continue to eat enough to keep all my gains.

Also, you will eventually have to go back to a higher volume routine. If you did two bear cycles, put on 20 lbs and then did PtP for the rest of your life, you would probably lose a little muscle mass--but you would keep some of it.

Free Course